Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > PBook Stands and a USB/FW Hub...not sure if any good?

PBook Stands and a USB/FW Hub...not sure if any good?
havyn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2003, 04:20 PM

Hi,

Found some nice-looking products and was wondering if anyone knew about them and the company that makes them, and how they fair against products from other Mac hardware companies.

I have a 12" pbook that will be used 50/50 for desktop/around the house and work, and I was looking at getting both a stand or cooling pad (have same effect mostly), and a USB hub so I don't have to plug a ton of stuff in every time I come back to the desk. The products I am looking at are from Macally, which I am not familiar with. Any suggestions or testimonials?

How does this fair against the Coolpad: http://www.macally.com/new/new_icepad.html

And this agains the iCurve: http://www.macally.com/new/new_icestation.html

And this is the hub I am looking at. It is a little $$$ but it has 4 USB 2.0 ports and 2 Firewire (so I could plug everything - camera, ipod, mouse, etc. - into it and just plug in the hub and the AC when I get home). Seems nice, but haven't found any reviews yet: http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/hubs.html

Thanks for your input, I don't really know where to shop for these things yet. Surprised I have any money left to shop with actually...
( Last edited by havyn; May 27, 2003 at 06:43 PM. )

geekwagon
Senior User
May 27, 2003, 05:01 PM

Macally stuff is generally pretty good, and their prices are generally good as well.

That said, I prefer the iCurve to the icestation simply the shape of the iCurve allows you to bring the laptop closer to you than the other does. Because the front of the laptop is in the air and overhangs the base by quite a bit you can let it overhang your external keyboard/mouse.

I wish I had a camera here with me so I could show you what I mean. It is hard to explain..

Oh and also, the iCurve should keep it cooler as it has a lot less in contact with the laptop than the icestation does.

bstieritz
May 27, 2003, 05:03 PM

hayvn,

I've actually seen all the products you mentioned (all except the last broken link) and would say stay away from the Macally "icepad" cooling pad. I picked it up in the store and it feels very flimsy and cheap. Macally isn't a bad company, I currently own one of their wireless mice (the rfmousejr) and have been happy with it but the cooling pad I'd advise against. The iCurve is very cool . . . my local computer shop has one teamed with an ibook and it's both functional and stylish (albeit, a bit expensive from what I can remember, though).

For my notebook, the "Podium CoolPad" by Targus works very well . . . it has an adjustable tilt and it even swivels (and, is one of the better deals at about 30 bucks).

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on usb hubs but good luck in your search!!

cheers,
brian

havyn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2003, 06:45 PM

thanks for the input...i'll probably end up with an iCurve as it seems to be getting the best reviews. still waiting for input on the hub though -- i really have searched everywhere i can think of and no one has reviewed it!

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2003, 08:35 PM

Were you planning on using an external keyboard when you are using your powerbook at your desk? If so I would recommend the iCurve... especially over the MacAlly device... from the pictures it would seem as if your CD/DVD drive would be obscured by the computer stand! If you were not planning on using an external keyboard, RoadTools Podium CoolPad is really nice. You really can't use the keyboard with the iCurve... just my $0.02. I've used Firewire/USB hubs in the past (although not from MacAlly... I bought the USB 1.1 / Firewire version of this hub from Newegg.com)... speeds were pretty decent... never had any real problems. I've always been of the opinion that hubs for the most part are hubs... most of them use similar innards and whatnot... the only difference is asthetic quality... which may be why you've been hard pressed to find any reviews of the product.

Chris

havyn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2003, 11:35 PM

yes i would be using an external keyboard as well, so the icurve will probably suit my needs just fine.

in terms of the hub...the one you got seems like a much more reasonable price, but it doesn't look quite as 'cool' i guess. but that is just personal opinion, and it shouldn't be 2x the price worth for the same thing.

bstieritz
May 28, 2003, 12:52 AM

Haha,

sometimes you gotta go with what's cheaper instead of what's "cooler."

Then again, do you really want to buy something that you'll be unhappy with the whole time you own it . . . I'd say it's maybe worth the extra 10 or 15 dollars to get something you like and will be happy with as opposed to another product that, although may be cheaper, could also prove to be an eyesore and make you unhappy.

. . . you know, it might throw off your "chi"

cheers,
brian

Forum Links
Forum Rules