Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Do vertical tabs exist?

Do vertical tabs exist?
mrtew
Professional Poster
May 27, 2003, 08:47 PM

I've noticed that most themes have fully developed vertical tabs, and I'm dreading going thru all the tab stuff again for my theme. I've never seen vertical tabs used in any app.... I'm not even sure if I've seen upside down ones. Are these necessary to do in a theme or just a big waste of time? For that matter is there any list of all resources that aren't used anywhere? I just can't believe how much junk there is in the extras.rsrc. I keep expecting to find some Next stuff in there!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

swiz
GUI Punk
May 27, 2003, 08:56 PM

If you look at Apple's south tabs you'll see they are just the north tabs flipped vertically.

Some nasty apps use them from time to time.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 10:09 PM

I take it you've never used the Developer Tools, mrtew, correct?

The server made a boo boo. (403)

Maquero
May 27, 2003, 10:35 PM

dragthing uses them too

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
I take it you've never used the Developer Tools, mrtew, correct?

Actually, I'm pretty sure Project Builder doesn't get it's tabs from the system's Extras.rsrc... they are faked aqua tabs. But, nevertheless the system Extras.rsrc does have EW and NS tabs that can be used, so it's usually a good idea to go ahead and theme them.

And DragThing is a good example of an application that is widely used and that calls on the EW tabs depending on how the user sets up his dock(s).

//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
May 28, 2003, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:
DragThing is a good example of an application that is widely used and that calls on the EW tabs depending on how the user sets up his dock(s).

//Carbon
darn.... I guess I'll have to go for it! Glad I asked... I've never used the Developer Tools or DragThing. Thanks.

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2003, 04:58 PM

iTerm also allows any tab orientation, including vertical tabs (left or right).

darkcore
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2003, 06:46 PM

Heh speaking of iTerm, you reminded me that I need to submit the modified version of Terminal Here that I did, so it would work with iTerm, to versiontracker and macupdate. Keep your eyes open for iTerm Here. =)

a holck
Senior User
May 29, 2003, 02:06 PM

Yes, Projectbuilder uses fake vertical tabs

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
May 29, 2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
For that matter is there any list of all resources that aren't used anywhere? I just can't believe how much junk there is in the extras.rsrc. I keep expecting to find some Next stuff in there!
There are about 100 images in there that are not used, I've sorted them all out in the template I made for ThemePark 1.0.

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by darkcore:
Heh speaking of iTerm, you reminded me that I need to submit the modified version of Terminal Here that I did, so it would work with iTerm, to versiontracker and macupdate. Keep your eyes open for iTerm Here. =)
Why not have an initial dialog box that lets one choose which terminal application is used, then write out a preferences file that is called to determine which terminal is used -- and then have handling routines in your application for different Terminal apps. That way, you could just have a single program, rather than specific versions for each terminal emulator.

darkcore
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2003, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by gatorparrots:
Why not have an initial dialog box that lets one choose which terminal application is used, then write out a preferences file that is called to determine which terminal is used -- and then have handling routines in your application for different Terminal apps. That way, you could just have a single program, rather than specific versions for each terminal emulator.
Heh, well iTerm Here is based on the source for Terminal Here (not my program) and I don't know Objective C. All I did was modify some of the embedded applescript code so that iTerm would be opened and iTerm specific applescript commands would be executed.
Here's the link to iTerm Here:
http://www.tco.net/~dscott/software/itermhere/

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2003, 09:32 AM

... dp

Forum Links
Forum Rules