Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Tibook RAM in a 15" iMac?

Tibook RAM in a 15" iMac?
Thorts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2003, 04:07 PM

I have 2 unused 256 Meg RAM chips from my 15" 1 Gig Tibook (one of each slot type). Can I use either to upgrade the 15" iMac (800 Mhz version) I have ordered for my sister? Will either work in the user installed slot?

Thanks in advance

Sean

bstieritz
May 21, 2003, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Thorts:
I have 2 unused 256 Meg RAM chips from my 15" 1 Gig Tibook (one of each slot type). Can I use either to upgrade the 15" iMac (800 Mhz version) I have ordered for my sister? Will either work in the user installed slot?

Thanks in advance

Sean
Hey Sean,

To my knowledge, Laptop Ram and Desktop Ram are two completely different things and are not interchangeable.

I'd do more research before going any further.

www.crucial.com is a great place for memory, by the way.

brian

euphras
Mac Elite
May 24, 2003, 02:22 PM

Quote:
"I have 2 unused 256 Meg RAM chips from my 15" 1 Gig Tibook (one of each slot type). Can I use either to upgrade the 15" iMac (800 Mhz version) I have ordered for my sister? Will either work in the user installed slot?
Thanks in advance
Sean"

Good news: the user serviceable slot takes SO-DIMM RAM (AKA "notebook-RAM"). If the timing is correct (should be since the Ti uses PC133-SDRAM in SO-format ("small outline")) you can use one of them to upgrade your sisters iMac.

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Thorts  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2003, 05:51 PM

Thanks, Pat. I had found rare, cryptic suggestions on the web that that might be the case. I think I will try it out before I purchase more RAM. Of course, a 512 chip is so cheap now I might get one any.

Sean

Thorts  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2003, 01:13 AM

Just a followup for those watching this thread. I got the iMac today, and installed one (not sure which one, ie upper or lower slot tibook) chip into the iMac. It started flawlessly, and system profiler confirms the update to 512 Megs.

Hope this will help others.

Now, I have a SECOND 256 chip that is extra. Any want it cheap? : )

Sean

Forum Links
Forum Rules