Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Slot Loading Drives and 3" mini CD

Slot Loading Drives and 3" mini CD
Heman
Jun 12, 2003, 08:36 AM

Has anyone ever tried inserting a 3" mini CD into the Slot Loading Drive?

I tried once on my PC's slot loading drive, it got stuck and almost damaged the drive when ejecting. I'm too scare to try it on my PB.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2003, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by Heman:
I'm too scare to try it on my PB.

Good. Keep it that way, it'll keep your drive in working order

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 09:17 AM

There is a ring available from Sony that you can snap around your 3-inch CD to make it the standard size.

However, the CD still won't be recognized so don't bother trying.

I use the Sony Mavica MVC-CD400 as my digital camera (which I highly recommend) because I really like storing my photos on a 300mb mini-CD and they hold so much; however, I have to use the MCE Tech Lucid external Firewire CD-RW to read them because it's tray-loading (versus slot-loading).

When I bought the camera it came with this ring (it's actually for Apple customers primarily, but it's hit-or-miss for actually working -- never worked for me) so that's how I know about this. It's about $12 through Sony.

Bottom line? Do NOT insert that disk without the ring because if it gets stuck inside you're S.O.L. --->

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 03:24 PM

Here is what Apple says about non-standard discs.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Here is what Apple says about non-standard discs.
Yeah, I've seen that before. It basically says that mini-CDs are fine, but I'm still wary. Anybody tried it?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 12, 2003, 03:51 PM

Did you notice, on Apple's page, the list of slot-load drives that DON'T support 80mm CDs?

tooki

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 04:09 PM

So, I've just tried to put an 80mm disk in and guess what? It doesn't even recognize it enough to pull it in.

With that in mind, be careful is all I can say.

Apple tech support has previously told me NOT to put them in, but maybe someone can get them to work.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 04:15 PM

I honestly would NOT recommend that someone try to put one of the 80mm disks in their Powerbook.

When inserting a standard disk it has to go 3/4s of the way in before the arm grabs it and pulls it in.

If you were to put in the smaller disk it would have to be shoved WAY in to get that arm to grab it and then I'm not sure that it would be able to eject it.

Although Apple gives that information, it must be for other slot-loading Macs and not the Powerbooks.

Be careful.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2003, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Did you notice, on Apple's page, the list of slot-load drives that DON'T support 80mm CDs?

tooki
Doh! Very confusing. First they say that slot-load drives work with these discs. Then they go on to list computers with slot load drives:

"Some of the computers that use a slot-loading CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive mechanism include:
iMac (Slot loading)
iMac (Summer 2000) See Note 1
iMac (Summer 2001) See Note 1
Power Mac G4 Cube
PowerBook G4 See Note 2
PowerBook G4 (DVI)See Note 2
PowerBook G4 (1 GHz/867 MHz) See Note 2
PowerBook G4 (12-inch) See Note 2
PowerBook G4 (17-inch) See Note 2
"

But then they say: "The PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet), PowerBook G4 (DVI), PowerBook G4 (1GHz/867MHz), PowerBook G4 (12-inch) and PowerBook G4 (17-inch) computers will not accept an 80 mm round disc."

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 04:51 PM

Thanks, Eug!

Saved someone's bacon with that added info.

I just came back to tell someone that if they want to test the 80mm drive they should put a long piece of scotch tape on the top of it to try to pull it back out if it wouldn't come back out.

I was puzzled why Apple tech support would tell us not to use those 80mm disks in the Powerbooks and then there was an Apple article saying that it was okay.

Good info you gave!

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 07:25 PM

i'd like to know the idiot that tries this winners out

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jun 12, 2003, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by solidage:
i'd like to know the idiot that tries this winners out

Hey, I got a CD shaped like an airplane from Lockheed at a job fair once. Believe it or not, these do actually work in a tray drive.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2003, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
Hey, I got a CD shaped like an airplane from Lockheed at a job fair once. Believe it or not, these do actually work in a tray drive.
Yes...but ONLY in a tray drive.

BTW, it stated quite explicitly in my Powerbook's manual somewhere that CD singles are bad, as are shape CDs.

My iMac DV eats singles perfectly, but shape CDs are still taboo.

-s*

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:
Thanks, Eug!

Saved someone's bacon with that added info.

I just came back to tell someone that if they want to test the 80mm drive they should put a long piece of scotch tape on the top of it to try to pull it back out if it wouldn't come back out.

I was puzzled why Apple tech support would tell us not to use those 80mm disks in the Powerbooks and then there was an Apple article saying that it was okay.

Good info you gave!
Thank tooki. He pointed me in the right direction.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2003, 12:32 AM

Here are the definitive answers for 80mm CDs.

ALL slot-loading iMacs can take 80mm.
If your PowerBook starts to roll after just feeding the CD 1/2", then you can use the 80mm.

The ones that can take the 80mm CDs have roller transport. I absolutely hate it, because it has rubber and plastic roller that GRINDS over the surfaces of the CDs.

If your CD does not respond until the last 1/2" (almost all the way), then it will definitely not take the 80mm CD.

Irregular sizes? Forget about it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules