Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The big one: will you get a G5?

View Poll Results: Are you getting a PowerMac G5?
Poll Options:
Of course! I've been dying to upgrade 118 votes (30.49%)
Maybe, if the features and price are right 64 votes (16.54%)
No, don't need or want to spend the money 52 votes (13.44%)
No, I'm waiting for the PowerBook G5! 59 votes (15.25%)
I'm waiting for initial reviews and/or a 2nd revision 94 votes (24.29%)
Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll
The big one: will you get a G5?
Commodus
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2003, 08:06 AM

With the (expected) release of the G5, I'm sure that a lot of people are seriously considering a new system - especially the people who told themselves that they wouldn't upgrade until Apple used a new CPU. I've actually heard of people with beige G3s (and even a 7500!) holding off on a purchase. Are you going to hop on the bandwagon?

Personally, I'm just waiting for the PowerBook G5. My sig probably explains that well enough.

However, if Half-Life 2 gets ported to the Mac, I'd be seriously tempted to get a desktop as well...
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2003, 08:17 AM

I'm gonna start saving up for one, and hopefully by revision 2 or 3 I can buy a dual.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2003, 08:18 AM

No. It's summertime. I have cars and a house to work on. If I buy a new computer it will be in the dead of winter when I cannot go outside.

I AM excitd about the prospects of 64bit computing and how it will affect video editing speeds.

iDVD for 64bit anyone?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

OreoCookie
Jun 21, 2003, 08:40 AM

The middle configuration doesn't seem to be dualie ...

If the middle one would be a dualie, I'd get it immediately. But I don't wanna buy a single CPU desktop Mac.

A PowerBook G5 would be a different question though.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

coolmac
Jun 21, 2003, 09:38 AM

Hmm, I'm thinking:
I'm not sure I want to purchase the very first itineration of the G5 Powermacs.

There are bound to be some bugs with an entirely new system, I think I'll give it until the second revision to make sure any kinks are worked out.

Now if I didn't already have 4 computers in the house, 2 Macs and 2 PC's I might be able to be convinced.

I'll be at my local Apple Store on Monday though to see what they're like.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2003, 10:04 AM

I've got a Sawtooth 450 that needs to either be upgraded or replaced. I'm fence-sitting until I see benchmarks and prices.

A single 1 gz CPU upgrade and a Radeon 9000 can be had for about $650.00 US.

BUT, if the midrange towers kick the snot out of a 1 gz for less than 2 grand, I'll probably sell the Sawtooth on ebay & buy one.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ddma
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2003, 10:29 AM

I have already sold my PowerBook! Now cash is ready and hope the G5 is not too expensive!

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2003, 10:51 AM

No.. I will be waiting.. I just purchased a 1.42 dual 2 months ago, so I'm sure it will do nicely for at least a year or two...

I had a 400 mhz G4 previous to that, so going to a 1.42 was a huge difference. when there is a duel 4.0 G5..then I'll buy.

Also.. would wait anyhow for the teething problems to be solved.. and software to be developed to take advantage of the 64 bit thing.

However, I do have a 500 mhz ibook.. I will replace it with a G5 powerbook a few months after G5 powerbooks come out.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2003, 11:13 AM

My AGP G4 450 has been feeling long in the tooth for a while now... I do web development and updating templates in Dreamweaver, compiling Flash movies and using the newer brush effects in Photoshop all drag... on a system with 1Gb of system memory!

So I'd been thinking about an upgrade this fall, but had been concerned that if I purchased the last G4 speedbump before a quantum leap in performance occured with a new processor and bus design, the usable lifespan of my new system would be shortened as apps started taking advantage of the greater processing power of the 970. And I'd be right back where I am now!

Sure, you have to recognize that obsolescence is inevitable with every system purchase, but it makes a difference to me if I have to fork over ~$2000-3000 in another two years... or in four.

And, yes... I'm concerned about getting Rev. A of any significantly new hardware. My target date for a new purchase is September, so if there are any serious bugs, hopefully Apple would have kicked out a Rev. B by then.

I just hope the new systems don't sound like a jet taking off... good looks are pretty much a given from Apple these days... but quiet hardware is something they have a spottier record on!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2003, 11:30 AM

I want one! My only concern is the whole first generation routine that almost always contains (small) problems. But if those specs are true, I may only wait after a couple of reviews are out. I can't control myself any longer!!

I almost soiled my pants when I saw the Apple Store's G5 specs.
About friggin time Apple- I've waited for years for this one.

"The World's Fastest Personal Computer" baby!!

Nep2ne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2003, 11:32 AM

I will likely buy on Monday, if announced. Instead of the top-end model, I'm looking at the mid-range, if announced with similar specs.

I've been working on Macs since 1984 and working on them professionally (as a tech) since 1998. My main machine is an iBook, but my desktop is my tried and true B&W G3/450. I've never owned a G4, so I've been waiting a damn long time to upgrade...
------
Friend of All Cats.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2003, 12:57 PM

My Quicksilver 2002 800 has been chugging along quite nicely since I put in a Powerlogix board with the full complement of L3 cache, so why bother? My computer is hardly the thing holding me up these days, and I haven't played a game in years...

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2003, 01:06 PM

This is going to be a tough call for me. I purchased a dual 1 GHZ in August, and that was a pretty pricey purchase. Now it is already being completely usurped by incredible speed increases. That's fine, I have no regrets with my purchase.

I have no hang ups with getting a first generation G5. But, if the top end is significantly more expensive then the Dual 1.43 GHZ of today, I won't be able to justify the expense. I won't be interested in a mid range, either, because I want a 2 processor set up.

I'm hoping the topend will be $2999 or less. If it is, I'll be very interested. However, my price range where I would definately get one is in the $1999 to $2499 range.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2003, 04:52 PM

The minute they come out with a 970 iMac I'll buy it. No matter what it costs. My current 1GHz iMac is one of the coolest Macs I've ever had - if it gets an additional kick with the 970, I'll take it.

My current 1GHz iMac would be perfect as a kitchen Mac hosting my recipe database.

bladegunner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2003, 04:57 PM

I have several macs. From a LC III, original iMac to a 400Mhz G4. I also have G3 and an iBook. I will probably sell the G3 and maybe the iMac for a G5. My current G4 is an awesome work machine and It will remain. I want a G5 to play games and do some video.

I am and always will be an Apple supporter!!

<bg>

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2003, 05:18 PM

I just upgraded my G4 400 to a G4 500.
I've got all the speed I need now

I might be interested in a new one if it's quieter then what I have now.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2003, 07:44 PM

I will definately buy a Power Mac G5 as soon as I have the cash. However, that wont be for a while longer.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

superfula
Senior User
Jun 21, 2003, 08:40 PM

Just sold my dual 1.25 bought new in Jan 03. so yeah, I'll be getting a G5.

Dual G4s just can't compare to what the G5 can bring...even with the single processor.

macdevil
Jun 21, 2003, 09:28 PM

I am in! I have been using a combination of my beige G3, PM 5500 and my tibook 800 DVI waiting for the next step in desktops to be made. I hoped my laptop would do the hold me over a little longer, but I really want a dual processor tower, so the g5 will be it. If not now, when they do come out.
Tibook 800dvi 40gig, 1 gig RAM
iMac 24" 2.16 C2d, 250G, 1gig RAM

dumkwestchun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2003, 09:59 PM

Home . . . Maybe an Xserve eventually -- if concurrent multiple users, displays, keyboards possible. If not, we'll see.

970 desktop -- At work . . . possibly.

next ...?
TiBook PB SD 1 Ghz
iMac DV 400
Powermac 7100
The only dumkwestchun is the one you're afraid to ask.

x user
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2003, 10:01 PM

PB G5, 12" 1.4GHZ, up to 4 gig of ram... Radion 9700mob 64-128mb...

I can taste it now, kiss my dust PeeCee gamers

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2003, 10:23 PM

Apple is going to make QUITE a bundle of money when these come out... Personally I am DROOLING for one, and that's something, considering I haven't been interested in the powermac for like 2 years.

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2003, 11:19 PM

Fearing the top end will not be available right away and the middle model not being dual, I will get the low end (feature set should be close to the other ones). I will resell it as soon as the mid model will be dual, souldn't be too big a loss.

Hopefully it is a big speed jump from a 500Mhz Cube, because recent games are too slow.

Xaaron Swiftblade
Jun 21, 2003, 11:28 PM

I have yet to own a real mac (borrowed my aunt's g3 powerbook for the last two semesters, barely got me through) And being a film student I want as high as I can go. I'd love a 970 iMac or to wait for a rev B powermac, but i doubt i can wait that long; august ain't far and i got editin' ta do!

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2003, 12:44 AM

Having just replaced my truck's engine, and having a trip to LA and then a couple weeks later, Japan, I won't have the scratch for it for a while.

Luckily, when I do get one, I can get 15% off because of some friends who work at Apple.

ObiWan Flanders
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2003, 06:26 AM

Yes

I can live with one kidney, can't I?

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2003, 11:02 AM

I'd LOVE to... but that means selling off my QS & iMac... so this likely won't happen before I go to college in 2004

- - - -

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 12:44 PM

I'm rather surprised at the number of MacNN-ers who say they're taking the smart route and waiting for reviews and the second generation. Although I'm not one of the smart ones and am planning to get one of the earliest rev.a machines, I usually advocate the wait-and-see approach. I tend to let my Mac zeal override rational thought and jump right on the early model, sometimes regretting my choice (ala the first 500 MHz dual-USB iBook). But it's good to see so many folks at least planning to act rationally, even if I'm not one of them.

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 01:06 PM

You know, something I don't quite understand is when we see people who refuse to get anything but a dual-processor system when looking at the G5. The G5 (970) is supposed to be substantially faster than the G4 at the same speed; by that logic, wouldn't a higher-clocked single G5 be enough to surpass a current dual G4 system? Mulithreading isn't going to matter as much if a single CPU can process each thread more quickly.

Of course, the dual-2.0 GHz G5 would amplify that performance boost even more, but I seriously doubt that most of us could complain about going from what we have now to a single 1.6 or 1.8 GHz G5!
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
I'm rather surprised at the number of MacNN-ers who say they're taking the smart route and waiting for reviews and the second generation. Although I'm not one of the smart ones and am planning to get one of the earliest rev.a machines, I usually advocate the wait-and-see approach. I tend to let my Mac zeal override rational thought and jump right on the early model, sometimes regretting my choice (ala the first 500 MHz dual-USB iBook). But it's good to see so many folks at least planning to act rationally, even if I'm not one of them.
I got burned on both the Rev 1 B&W G3 and the Rev 1 Tibooks. I plan on waiting plenty long this time
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2003, 02:15 PM

Short answer.. No.

My next Mac will be a PowerBook G5. My 118-day old 1.25 DP is enough for my daily work. All I need right now is a SuperDrive.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 02:26 PM

The poll need an option for "My current Mac is enough for my needs right now. I'll buy one if/when I need it."

Then I'd vote.

bil207
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2003, 02:56 PM

I'll be waiting untill the new Power Macs start to ship with OS 10.3 installed.

gee308
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2003, 02:57 PM

EXACTLY what I think. IF they have a mid dual, I will get it.

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
The middle configuration doesn't seem to be dualie ...

If the middle one would be a dualie, I'd get it immediately. But I don't wanna buy a single CPU desktop Mac.

A PowerBook G5 would be a different question though.

gee308
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2003, 02:59 PM

That means you will never own a g4 becuase the machiens on monday are g5(ppc 970)

Originally posted by Nep2ne:
I will likely buy on Monday, if announced. Instead of the top-end model, I'm looking at the mid-range, if announced with similar specs.

I've been working on Macs since 1984 and working on them professionally (as a tech) since 1998. My main machine is an iBook, but my desktop is my tried and true B&W G3/450. I've never owned a G4, so I've been waiting a damn long time to upgrade...

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2003, 04:16 PM

My main machine right now is a 667 DVI attached to a 20" ACD. I will continue using this and saving until I can afford a dual 970, whether it be tomorrow or 6-months from now. A dual 970 ... mmmmmm fast.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Riemann Zeta
Jun 22, 2003, 04:41 PM

I've got a PB Ti 1GHz w/ Superdrive, so I doubt I will be upgrading. However, if they offered a PowerBook G5, I might be singing a different tune right now (hello eBay)...
God is just a statistic...

awcopus
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 06:14 PM

Suddenly, I've seen the light.

I will wait until the Duallie 2 GHz is available, then I'll pounce on it at the New Hampshire Apple Store (no sales tax).

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it UNLESS...
unless Apple prices it stratospherically ($4000+), in which case I will have to consider the mid-range model. But if the midrange model is not a duallie....then I wait, patiently, and bide my time.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by gee308:
That means you will never own a g4 becuase the machiens on monday are g5(ppc 970)
I think he knows this. Considering the thread is titled 'The big one: will you get a G5?'

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 08:23 PM

I'll have to get one eventually to optimize my code for the new processor, and they do look like fairly stunning machines.. but at the moment I /really/ can't afford a new Powermac, and my 1GHz-upgraded Sawtooth still does everything I need as fast as I need it to.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 07:52 AM

I wasn't going to get a powermac since my old desktop monitor is busted and I really don't have the cash for a pmac AND a monitor. However, thanks to a neighbor who gave me a 19 inch crt I've been give the green light by the wife (who's a cpa and financial guru of our house!) to get a G5 powermac. I think I'm going to wait for a second revision since there were some things with my RevA iMac that caused me all sorts of problems but were corrected with the RevB.

We'll see if I can hold out after 1:00 today or if I cave in and place an order.

Stephane
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 08:08 AM

I have been sticking with my 550 Titanium for a while now and since I will soon need it less because I will be working at home in a couple of months, I guess it is time for the G5 !
When I think of my first Mac, a G4 400 Mhz PCI quickly outperformed, I feel like I will aim the top of the line this time ;-)

I guess going from a 10.2 550 Mhz PB G4 to a dual 2 Ghz 64 bits G5 loaded with Panther will rock my world !!
St�phane

jcjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2003, 08:11 AM

nahhh.. im waiting for the G6.... !!!

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 08:43 AM

Well I've had a G4 since the day they were released... bout time i got a new computer i think Just hoping the prices arent too high.. not long to go..

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

pliny
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 10:32 AM

I would briefly leave my ashy tomb to secure a G5.
i look in your general direction

P
Jun 23, 2003, 10:51 AM

My iMac DV/400 is ready for a refresh, but I really need a new apartment before buying a new Mac. After that... Well, they should have Panther preinstalled before I buy one, and I'd prefer to have a midrange dualie, but I can't use this old thing forever.

derekn
Senior User
Jun 23, 2003, 05:32 PM

I'd get one if I hadn't gotten my dual 867 last year. LOL I admit I'm going through the usual emotions of regret , denial and keep debating why I didn't wait LOL

I guess I'm happy though, I'd love to have a G5 of course, who doesn't want the extra speed. But this baby is sufficient for right now.

dazzla
Senior User
Jun 23, 2003, 05:48 PM

Yup, I'm getting the 1.8, throwing a GB or Ram in it, upgrading the vid card and I'm all set. So damn pleased. We've all been waiting for this for so long.

slipjack
Senior User
Jun 23, 2003, 05:59 PM

Man... I've been so happy with my dual Ghz I haven't even looked at the rumor boards for new hardware... imagine my suprise when I see the G5 is out!!!

I already ordered my 1.8/1.8...

It was a 'no brainer'... as they say. I'll be around I'm sure again so anyway, I hope everyone's doing well.

Also, my daughter was born last Monday... can you believe that??? What a week!!!

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2003, 06:22 PM

I'm not planning on replacing my current Sawtooth 350 until post Macworld in January so it'll depend on the prices and models that are available then. As it stands, regardless of the power of the G5, $2k for a machine with 256mb of ram and no second optical bay is insane to me. I'd pay 1600 tops for a G5. Perhaps by January that'll be possible. Who knows what January will bring. A G5 iMac flat panel seems like it would be a good match for me.
Regards,
Dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules