Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > A Panther in a 12", how is it?

A Panther in a 12", how is it?
edwood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2003, 06:54 PM

Lot's a Panthers are around (mine is coming..) who tried to install it on a 12" or on the 17"?
I was curious about performances and if it fixed the well known issues like the sleeping sound.
well if I'll be brave enough I'll try it tomorrow but not sure, I really need the PB for my exams, don't want to re-install everything!

ciao!

dettociao
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by edwood:
Lot's a Panthers are around (mine is coming..) who tried to install it on a 12" or on the 17"?
I was curious about performances and if it fixed the well known issues like the sleeping sound.
well if I'll be brave enough I'll try it tomorrow but not sure, I really need the PB for my exams, don't want to re-install everything!

ciao!
If you have an iPod, install it on that!
-.-
12" SuperDrive

edwood  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2003, 07:15 PM

well, after reading around I've seen it's not something for the end-user so I'll wait for the final version I'm already playing with yellowdog..

anyway if a developer installed it on a 12 I'll be happy to know how is it.

sorry I don't have an ipod

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by edwood:
well, after reading around I've seen it's not something for the end-user so I'll wait for the final version I'm already playing with yellowdog..

anyway if a developer installed it on a 12 I'll be happy to know how is it.

sorry I don't have an ipod
There is a reason this PRERELEASE version of Panther was given out at the WWDC. It's for developers to use while developing their apps for it. It is not meant to be used as an every day use OS for end users. In fact, Panther won't be ready for Prime Time for months.
( Last edited by wanderlust; Jun 25, 2003 at 08:19 PM. )

edwood  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2003, 07:58 PM

yes yes I realized, I was just cought from all the new features and the screen caputers in the os x forum.

for sure I'll be the first of the line when will go commercial (or better if they give it for free to teachers!).

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 04:39 AM

I can vouch for the fact that Panther DP1 works just great on a 12" Powerbook. =)

Expose is the coolest feature ever.

edwood  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 06:54 AM

I've seen some screen capture about benchmarks on a gigabook and it was impressive!

here is the link (I hope I can post it..)
http://www.macitynet.it/macity/aA14547/index.shtml

48.77 (jaguar) vs 86.61 (panther)

jac
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 10:08 AM

Um, i'm pretty sure my gigabook gets better reults than that in Jaguar; it's up over 100 in xbench i believe. (haven't benchmarked in months, though, so memory might be failing me)

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 04:26 PM

I do not buy those bench results. My TiPB 400 384/40GB GNX does score 59 when using XBench 1.0b3

hamiltondj
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2003, 05:26 AM

Im a developer
I have a 12" PB
I installed

its solid and fast - very fast

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2003, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by hamiltondj:
Im a developer
I have a 12" PB
I installed

Could you please elaborate a little more?

ingeniero
Jun 27, 2003, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by hamiltondj:
Im a developer
I have a 12" PB
I installed

can you post the system requirments? I'm contemplating on installing the final release on my Pismo 500.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by ingeniero:
can you post the system requirments? I'm contemplating on installing the final release on my Pismo 500.
The same as it ever been . G3, 128GB RAM. It will run fine on your Pismo.

ingeniero
Jun 27, 2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
The same as it ever been . G3, 128GB RAM. It will run fine on your Pismo.
awesome...i'll be at the apple store first day, quite possibly grab the promotional T-shirt. Jaguar runs beautifully, no complaints.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 02:56 AM

It is unbelivable how fast Panther is. I have seen it running on a PB DVI, and the computer seemed completely different from mine. I played with it and everything was very very fast. All the windows moved around extremely quick, Expose was really smooth. I am sure that the 12" PB will have no problem running Panther. And do not forget that this was only a prerelease version...the final will probably be better optimized.

I cannot wait to get my hands on it!!!

t

wildcard
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2003, 08:58 AM

Any issues with the heat/power management issues that some users noted with the 12" and 10.2.x? Are the fans behaving differently?

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2003, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by jac:
Um, i'm pretty sure my gigabook gets better reults than that in Jaguar; it's up over 100 in xbench i believe. (haven't benchmarked in months, though, so memory might be failing me)
116 the last time I ran it

Having said that, I'm running Panther, and it is noticeably faster on some things (menu redraws especially).

And I agree with previous comments... expose is the coolest feature ever. Worth the price of admission of having a DP OS... definitely.

Try setting your expose to activate for all windows on the upper right "Active Desktop Corner"... a quick flick of the wrist and you can immediately get what you want. I haven't been this impressed w/ a feature in quite some time. I think this is how the dock was meant to be used to begin with... completely eliminates every problem I've ever had with it on a functional level. You really have to use it yourself to see... words can't quite describe how useful it is.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2003, 12:41 PM

Nice to see so many developers around the place...

(No offense intended to real developers.)

Maquero
Jun 28, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:

trying to start a flame war ,now are you?

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2003, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:

So you would be implying (rather incorrectly) that I'm not a developer?

I guess real developers can't be impressed with a feature in a developer's preview? We're supposed to automatically expunge on how wonderful xcode is, and how happy I am to have a Java environment that's on par with JCreator Pro for Windows (one of the only pieces of windows software I missed).

Perhaps I should gush about how xcode imported my company's intranet calendars (Java) with great ease and helped me organize the files and classes better? How I can't wait for the full release of xcode, because I think it will be a great DE for all languages (though Java is my primary focus at the moment).

But then again, Expose is really f'ing cool... and something that perhaps non developers might be interested in who are reading this forum.

I know you said no offense to real developers... but I'm sick of this attitude that it's somehow a huge wrong for someone to want a peek at the new OS. It might not be entirely ethical (or legal) for a non-developers to be using Panther... but don't act like you're above it. We've all swiped something outta SerialBox a time or two at some point.

It would be different if most of these people weren't going to buy Panther upon release... but the fact is most WILL pay for it, and just want a sneak peek.

Apple may pretend to mind (to cover their own ass and not offend the shareholders) but the fact is, you can't BUY publicity like the buzz that's going around about Panther.... everyone wants a piece.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2003, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by juanpacolopez:
So you would be implying (rather incorrectly) that I'm not a developer?

I guess real developers can't be impressed with a feature in a developer's preview? We're supposed to automatically expunge on how wonderful xcode is, and how happy I am to have a Java environment that's on par with JCreator Pro for Windows (one of the only pieces of windows software I missed).

Perhaps I should gush about how xcode imported my company's intranet calendars (Java) with great ease and helped me organize the files and classes better? How I can't wait for the full release of xcode, because I think it will be a great DE for all languages (though Java is my primary focus at the moment).

But then again, Expose is really f'ing cool... and something that perhaps non developers might be interested in who are reading this forum.

I know you said no offense to real developers... but I'm sick of this attitude that it's somehow a huge wrong for someone to want a peek at the new OS. It might not be entirely ethical (or legal) for a non-developers to be using Panther... but don't act like you're above it. We've all swiped something outta SerialBox a time or two at some point.

It would be different if most of these people weren't going to buy Panther upon release... but the fact is most WILL pay for it, and just want a sneak peek.

Apple may pretend to mind (to cover their own ass and not offend the shareholders) but the fact is, you can't BUY publicity like the buzz that's going around about Panther.... everyone wants a piece.
If you are offended, my apologies. I was not trying to insult people who have legal reason to have a copy of the 'Developer Preview'. I was merely making a sideways observation. I'm not trying to insinuate any thing with regard to yourself, or any real developers out there...

However I am just fed up that on every Mac site I go to around the web, there are people who have downloaded Panther from Hotline, Carracho, Direct Connect et al, and are passing judgement on it like they have gone out and bought it!

Admittedly I should probably not have raised it in this thread, but it just seems like the last 15 threads I have seen, are on this very subject and I just snapped!

However, this doesn't change my belief that it really isn't that fair to judge Panther at this stage.

I understand what you say about people wanting a 'sneak peak', and I don't blame anyone for this, but to me it just doesn't feel right. Go to a rumor site, get a snatched pic here or there, nothing illegal done. But downloading it... It seems to me a line has been breached when this happens.

If I design something, and show a small unfinished part of it to a few friends and colleagues, I personally would expect it to be kept quiet, and have some constructive criticism from those people only. If I find I am being judged at that stage, on that incomplete sample, by people who were not legally entitled to see it, I would be pretty fed up... and it would also be an unfair representation of the product or design.

In all honestly we don't really know how Panther will run on a 12", 15", 17", or anything else for that matter, as the final version may not even be released for 6 months! It may be good, it may not, but I feel we are short changing Apple on this...

As for me, I can say that I am free from the clutches of HL, Carracho et all, and have never has the inclination to use them. I have updated my essential software to the latest versions I have needed throughout the years, and am happily 'legal'. I don't get any medal for this, but I feel that if I want to use, or need an application or OS, then I should pay up for it!

As for the assertion that a lot of people will pay for the update anyway. I'm sure a lot of people will... However I wish I had your confidence. I remember observing the 'Gold Master' race last year when Jaguar was released... I wonder how many HL down-loaders bothered to pay the �100 when they had the shipping version not more than a click away?

I can see a time when Apple will have to have serial numbers, authorisation codes etc etc for their OS releases, and legitimate users will then be penalised for the illegitimate actions of others... Is seeing a Beta really worth this?

Again, all apologies,

Peace,

Marc

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Maquero:

Not at all, just feeling a bit obtuse

hamiltondj
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Maquero:
Well I have an official wwdc release so I'll just assume your being cute

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 29, 2003, 12:10 AM

Guys, I'm sorry- I'm going to have to lock this one, and others on Panther. Don't even start em, I'll just have to lock em.

Apple has forums for the developers they've issued Panther to. If you are one of those developers, please use the Apple forums- it's what they are there for.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules