Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Burn engine error???

Burn engine error???
indigo
Jun 30, 2003, 12:43 AM

I've got a G4 733 with a combo drive running 10.2.6. I've been able to burn CD-R's using Disk Copy without any problem until recently. When I use Disk Copy to burn an image, I now receive the following error:

Disk Name.dmg failed to burn due to error -2147352477. A burn engine error error occurred (-2147352477). 00/00/00

I'm not quite sure what is causing this error all of a sudden. I haven't installed any new software that I can recall prior to this problem starting. My hard drives have more than enough room on them for the image. The least amount of room I have on any of my partitions is 5GB.

Any one have any idea what this error is and how to fix it?
thanks for the help!

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Jun 30, 2003, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by indigo:
I've got a G4 733 with a combo drive running 10.2.6. I've been able to burn CD-R's using Disk Copy without any problem until recently. When I use Disk Copy to burn an image, I now receive the following error:

Disk Name.dmg failed to burn due to error -2147352477. A burn engine error error occurred (-2147352477). 00/00/00

I'm not quite sure what is causing this error all of a sudden. I haven't installed any new software that I can recall prior to this problem starting. My hard drives have more than enough room on them for the image. The least amount of room I have on any of my partitions is 5GB.

Any one have any idea what this error is and how to fix it?
thanks for the help!
does it happen with all images you try to burn or just a certain one? can you mount that image without errors?

indigo  (op)
Jun 30, 2003, 08:20 AM

I've tried burning about 5 different images and received the same error. To test it out, I've imaged a disk that I use regularly, mounted it without incident. If I try to burn the image I receive the error I noted above. Incidently, I can boot off of the drive.
Thanks for the help.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2003, 12:18 PM

Try a permissions repair and see what happens next.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

indigo  (op)
Jun 30, 2003, 11:50 PM

Repaired the permissions. Tried another burn. Same error.

Re-applied the 10.2.6 combo updater, then repaired the permissions. Same results when burning.

Nothing I've tried seems to work. i'm not sure what the error means. i've tried looking up the error code everywhere I could think of, but no luck.

Toast is also giving me errors when burning images. The error I get is:
Sense Key = Medium Error
Sense Code = 0x57
Unale to recover Table of contents
( Last edited by indigo; Jul 1, 2003 at 12:37 AM. )

indigo  (op)
Jul 1, 2003, 11:01 PM

Wanted to post an update to my burner problems.

I installed another HD into my G4 and installed 10.2.6 with all the updates. I tried burning from this new installation, but still get the same error that I posted above. This makes me think that the problem lies within the hardware and not software.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be or how it may be resolved?
thanks for the help!

superlarry
Senior User
Jul 1, 2003, 11:39 PM

have you started using different media? some brands of cd-r's and cd-rw's advertise a max burn speed at or above what macs can do, but will fail during burning because (assumably) of the quality of the disk.

indigo  (op)
Jul 2, 2003, 10:06 AM

I was right in the middle of a bunch of Fuji CD-r's rated to 48x. I would have a hard time believing that I would get a bad batch of cd's right in the middle of a spindle. Having said that, I'll give some other media a try. I'm at my wits end trying to figure out why my burner has decided to go on holiday.
I'll let you know if it fixes the problem.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

himself
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2003, 04:53 AM

I have a couple of suggestions:

a)Try burning at lower speed settings. For some reason, some recorders won't burn reliably to certain media at the highest speed.

b)As someone else suggested, try different media. But if, like you say, the same media worked fine before, the media may not be the culprit. But it is possible to run into a few bad cds in the same batch.

If neither of these work, it probably is a software problem, and you should reinstall the OS. I've had similar problems (once with DVD player refusing to work, mouse/trackpad problems, and a couple others), and an Archive and Install of Jaguar then reapplying the updates solved the problem. It seems that OS X still needs work with issues of preserving preferences and system data, hopefully Panther will eliminate those issues.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules