Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > DSL Speed way down

DSL Speed way down
mackid97140
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2003, 05:42 PM

I normally use DSL at home at i get great speed. But i'm away from home at another building and i've conencted my 500MHZ iBook to their local area network. They have DSL and it works on my computer. But for some reason the speed is really low. I can't even connect to MSN messenger. Is there any reason why the speed might be down from normal? I have my network settings on DHCP and all the data is filled in. It's odd that it works but isn't fast. Can anyone give me any advice on what to do. I already tried entering the DSN server and that doesn't help.
-mackid

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 12:02 PM

Not all DSL connections are equal-- unfortunately.
There are many factors in play, the distance you are from the Internet company is one of the biggest. Some cap the speed and you've gotta pay extra $$$ is you want them to un-cap it, others let you take it as fast as it'll travel, etc. I live right on the border (about 20,000 feet from the Internet office) and I never get more than 40KB/s. That's really, really good for me. People who live near the office can get around 300KB/s. Same service and modem, they're just closer.
That is strange that it's that slow though. Is it always that slow? If other people are downloading they could easily eat up the whole connection.

mackid97140  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2003, 12:48 PM

But i had a friend right next to me who had a computer that worked plenty fast. I know it`s not the connection so it has to be something with my computer. Is there any other things i could do?
-mackid

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 2, 2003, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by mackid97140:
But i had a friend right next to me who had a computer that worked plenty fast. I know it`s not the connection so it has to be something with my computer. Is there any other things i could do?
Look at the settings for your AirPort card. Sometimes when you creat a new connection, your card will default to a low speed connection. You can use the Admin Utility to adjust the settings for "Automatic" rate, allowing the card to shift speed up and down as appropriate for signal quality.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mackid97140  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2003, 04:08 AM

I dont have an airport card, does that matter? Where is the admin utility?
-mackid

Forum Links
Forum Rules