Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Find command - is it me?

Find command - is it me?
kbdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2003, 08:25 PM

I have not had much luck with the find command. Can I expect to be able to find a file containing a certain unique phrase in its text? I have tried several times, even knowing which file (an MS Word file) actually has this phrase. Usually I get a list of lots of other files but not the right one.
I would love to be able to get this to work.

Laserbutt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2003, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by kbdog:
I have not had much luck with the find command. Can I expect to be able to find a file containing a certain unique phrase in its text? I have tried several times, even knowing which file (an MS Word file) actually has this phrase. Usually I get a list of lots of other files but not the right one.
I would love to be able to get this to work.
Yes, I reckon it is jsut you. Try searching for your 'unique phrase' with the file type as .doc

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2003, 08:52 AM

Generally, the Find command only searches file names, not file contents. That might be why you can't find it. If you want to search the contents you have to index your files.

kbdog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by chabig:
Generally, the Find command only searches file names, not file contents. That might be why you can't find it. If you want to search the contents you have to index your files.
That makes sense. How do I index my files?

stravinsky1911
Jul 11, 2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by kbdog:
That makes sense. How do I index my files?
Easiest way I know of is to select your home directory, hit command-i, and then expand the triangle by "Content Index" and hit the "Index Nox" button.

kbdog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2003, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by stravinsky1911:
Easiest way I know of is to select your home directory, hit command-i, and then expand the triangle by "Content Index" and hit the "Index Nox" button.
Thanks, I'm indexing right now!

Forum Links
Forum Rules