Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" woes for a new college student...

15" woes for a new college student...
DKehlenbeck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2003, 05:52 PM

This whole PB thing is really frustrating, especially from my point of view as a college freshman this coming fall. The 15" PB is the perfect machine for me; plenty big enough screen (I find the 12" too small and 17" a little bit of an overkill), a little more expensive than the iBooks yet the speed is worth it...my only qualm is that I'm hesitant to order a 15" right now, because I worry that it will be two revisions behind by the middle of my freshman year. I'm hoping to get a computer that will last me all four years; by my junior or senior year it will be a ways back speed wise to what's on the market, admittedly, but I want a computer that can still run everything I'd need at that point. You'd think Apple would realize that the 15" is popular and would try to update it for the Back-to-School season?

dschwab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2003, 06:21 PM

Very true. Does anyone know the schedule of the remaining big Apple events for the year?

Flash2000
Jul 16, 2003, 06:23 PM

I understand, but revisions always happen. The current 15s are still great machines for the money. Do you need AE, or BT? Or could the machine get you by right now? Even if you get another machine now, mac or windows, by the time you are half done with you freshmen year new products will come out. I just ordered a 12, if I need more screen space I have a 19" monitor not really being used. Don't disregard the current 15 line though. Besides best case when new PBs come they will still be G4s, no where near G5 level.
Current Macs:
15" PB 1.5ghz G4, 512 mem, 80 HD, 128 vram
Dual 2.5 PM G5, 1.5 ram, 240 HD, 6800 GT
20" ACD
40 Gig iPod Photo

DKehlenbeck  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2003, 06:32 PM

True, they won't be G5's, I understand that much; I'm hoping to get as fast a G4 in the PB as I can though, so that it takes the longest to be 'outdated'. And it's not that I plan on desparetly (sp?) needing AE or BT, but they are both the kind of thing that I wouldn't mind having built-in so that if I ever do need/want them, I won't have to update or somesuch, you know?

Originally posted by Flash2000:
I understand, but revisions always happen. The current 15s are still great machines for the money. Do you need AE, or BT? Or could the machine get you by right now? Even if you get another machine now, mac or windows, by the time you are half done with you freshmen year new products will come out. I just ordered a 12, if I need more screen space I have a 19" monitor not really being used. Don't disregard the current 15 line though. Besides best case when new PBs come they will still be G4s, no where near G5 level.

Flash2000
Jul 16, 2003, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by DKehlenbeck:
True, they won't be G5's, I understand that much; I'm hoping to get as fast a G4 in the PB as I can though, so that it takes the longest to be 'outdated'. And it's not that I plan on desparetly (sp?) needing AE or BT, but they are both the kind of thing that I wouldn't mind having built-in so that if I ever do need/want them, I won't have to update or somesuch, you know?
Yeah I hear what you are saying, well you could always wait till end of this month, who knows.
Current Macs:
20" ACD
40 Gig iPod Photo

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2003, 07:30 PM

The announcement of the G5 has seriously screwed up the balance in Apples product lineup, and Apple knows it. I would expect to see every Mac updated before October, starting with the PowerBook by early August at the latest, followed by the iBook and then the iMac and eMac.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Pangasius
Jul 16, 2003, 08:19 PM

I am a college student too been using macs for a long time I would like to bring a few things up for my fellow students starting this year too.

#1 The TI is nice, but for you guys and myself being students we need a machine that will last as long as possible. Not to say that the TI wouldnt accomplish this but a 15 with the new tech that the 12 and 17 have would. Examples INclude:bluetooth, airport extreme, DDR ram, and more. This would also increase the overall value of the machine which would make spending the money more worth it in the long run. This concept is geared toward students so dont take it any other way.

#2 If you have waited this long then just keep waiting. I see it that APple will upgrade the line when the market has demand for the PB. Which right now it does cause of us students. They cant hold out forever. If the TI stays TI I would still buy it if it has the above technologies. So keep waiting and don't buy until it happens.

#3 I expect this to be a quiet upgrade. Why well its already been announced when the 12 and 17 came along. Why make a deal out of it again. The loudest it may get is someone will hold it up and say look new 15 not much more to say than that. We didnt c the G4 when it got built in bluetooth get a huge annoucment.

#4 REMEMBER the G4 is a very efficient processor still. Dont BS it. People who do who dont do video should just shut up. Even if you do video you should be a pro and use FCPRO then maybe you can complain. Let us all remember these are powerbooks towers should be more powerful than them. Apple made them about the same because Motoslowa is slow to upgrade there processors. So they were both up to par.

#5 Apple is concentrating on getting the towers out now. They probably dont have time to release a 15. Mark my words they will release it after this busy time is over for them. They go ta lot to do to deliver those absolutely awesome towers to tons of great people. So lets just wait and then apples priority will have to be getting there TI those new technologies. It could be an AL or Ti but as long as its got the new technologies its worth it.

#6 patience it will come...

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2003, 09:12 PM

Starting sophimore year, bought a 12" PB 3 weeks ago, very happy.

All computers become outdated...

You purchase. You use. You live. The sun returns each and every morning. Get over it.
Lysdexics have more fnu.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 09:22 PM

Well, I am typing this on a TiPB 1Ghz, and it rocks on toast. Just upgraded the HD, which is v. difficult for the end-user on an AlBook but a snap on this one.

Speed increases are worth waiting for, if you waited this long...but AE isn't all that different than Airport, BT isn't that useful to lots of people and DDR RAM needs a bus that can support it, which G4s generally lack.

If you can get a sweet deal pricewise on a G4 TiBook, you may just wish to jump.

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Jul 16, 2003, 09:35 PM

Hey I thought I would tell you about my powerbook experiances and univirsity life.

I go to Uni. in Australia (see under name )
The Apple computers get alot of notice. They turn heads, they really do look cool. Plus with Mac OS X (unix) geeks who have all there life shown hatred towards Mac OS are starting to take notice, some even come up to me in the Libary and ask if I can show them.

I have a 12" Powerbook. Mine does have some problems. Which of cource are minor and all computers have SOME small problems.
- It wables slightly. Dosen't really matter
- Every now and then the trackpad goes kinda crazy, like it wants to go its own way. Doesn't happen very often. I think it is sometimes effected because my hands sweat alot.
- After I had my 12" serviced the fan always seems to come on lowest setting

( I had to get my 12" serviced because I once took it out in a lecture and it slipped from my hands and dropped about 3 inches (okay maybe 6 or 8 ) and it landed right on the left hand back corner. This dented the case and made it imposible to plug in the charger. I got the case replaced. Bummer. But it was all my fault. If it would have ben Titanium It would have proberly cracked . )

The PowerBook even the 12" will not hold you back. In four years time they might be outdated, but you will still be able to do everything you want to on it. For example my mom still uses her Pismo. Which in my opinoion is one of the greatest Macs ever made.

By the way: what excactly are you going to use it for? Film and desing, Law, Science, Interprative dance .

Well I am rambeling because I have to go soon. I would sujest you get an additional 512 ram stick. This will keep your Machine from showing its age so quickly.

When your in a lecture (if you do use your PB in a lectuer) you should proberly keep your screen to lowest brightness so you can easily just turn off the backlight. In my first lecture (statistics) the professor is actually an old mac. But anyway she accedently turned the lights off all the way instead of dimming them. I had my computer on full brightness. I tell you what I could feel ever eye in the 450 person lecture looking at me in total darkness. Not the coolest thing to happen.

What else can I say. Hmmm oh yeah bring a notepad or something because in the rare occurance that the professor draws something on the board you will be able to quickly copy it down.

BTW: 12" / 14" iBook is also not a bad choice for Uni.

Also: The 15" PB will be a great machine. If you want you could proberly wait until the new one is released. Just wait like even until the 2nd week to order it. Nothing much happens the first 3 weeks anyway

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 02:09 AM

Why not get a 12" and an external monitor? Portability and display size.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

paulpolios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2003, 02:14 AM

how much different is airport compared to airport extreme?

-paul

badnewsblair
Senior User
Jul 17, 2003, 03:08 AM

First, Airport Extreme is nice. But it isn't the end all, be all. So don't discount a Powerbook if it doesn't have it. I do Heavy (and I mean Heavy!) 3D work with Alias|Wavefront Maya 4.5. With that, I do some video editing and special effects. I of course, have a 17-inch (I don't think its overkill at all, I really appreciate the screen... in fact, when I use a 15-inch it feels "too small" to me now).

However, my close friend has a 15-inch Powerbook and loves it. He has stuck with it despite the release of the 17-inch (which is a big thing because he's one of those "latest/greatest" guys that gets the newest model of everything, he has had 3 of the 4 revision of the Titanium). He uses his 15-incher heavily at work and at home. The 15-inch Ti is a solid computer especially since its in the 4th revision! It will do more than enough for you in college. I promise.

My big warning here is this. First, there are people who have been waiting to get that 15 Albook for quite along time and it hasn't come. Personally, I don't think it is coming that soon because the Ti's are still doing great (don't expect backlit keyboards with them either). Notebooks is a silly market. You need to strike when you feel like it and not wait for the next big thing, because as soon as you buy it, it will be outdated. The speed bump will not be that drastic. Remember here that Apple is a business and they are not going to make a 15-inch that will compete heavily with the 17-inch. Its just not saavy business. DDR RAM would be nice, but you certainly DO NOT need it considering the system bottlenecks. AE is not worth it right now unless you do gaming or large file tranfers at home or work. Bluetooth is worthless (to me at least, the only time I've used it was so my roommate in college could get web on his Tungsten).

Bottom line - Get the 15-inch Ti. You will not disappointed. It will last through college (well, the normal college life... how long do you plan on going ?). College is about a month away right? I don't see the Albook coming before then.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2003, 04:41 AM

Look, I say this now! W A I T ! ! ! !

It's a WELL KNOWN fact that the ti will be updated soon, it's 9 months old, AND you want a new notebook.

I say wait, even if you loose a bit of productivity, because I can see behind your posts that if you were to get a ti right now you'd just end up really dissapointed in the end and *I*, and I hope everyone else, want you to be happy

So wait! In most cases I'd say get it when you need it, but in this case.. if you can still do your work, even at a huge slowdown/inconvinience.. just wait. The waiting and hardship will only make the laptop better in the end.

Just imagine your 15" aluminum powerbook in your hands!! ^_^
Aloha

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 06:41 AM

One thing to consider if you wait, however, is the notoriously long delay between most Apple hardware announcements and actual availability. If they announce in early August... When will you actually get one?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

DKehlenbeck  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2003, 08:12 AM

A true point, one that I haven't forgotten. It's not that I'm in desperate need of the computer right now, I just wish that it had been annouced already and that I could order one, even if I didn't have it in my hands for a month or two. I've waited this long, I may as well wait a little longer and see how it all comes down...worse comes to worse, I can always stumble my way through the fall semester by borrowing my parents 350 iMac (runs 10.2 decently but not great)...

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
One thing to consider if you wait, however, is the notoriously long delay between most Apple hardware announcements and actual availability. If they announce in early August... When will you actually get one?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2003, 09:12 AM

New PowerBooks will be announced at Seybold, Seybold, and Seybold.

The 15" PowerBook that is. Long overdue.

bluejam
Jul 17, 2003, 09:17 AM

What abunch of spoiled brats. You are the first generation to even use computers, let alone laptops, for school work. Go grab a pencil, a notebook(the 3-ring type), some paper, and some patience and wait for the upgrade. Just stop your whining.
I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by hyteckit:
New PowerBooks will be announced at Seybold, Seybold, and Seybold.

The 15" PowerBook that is. Long overdue.
i waited until october of my freshman year to get a tibook when it got revised... so it shouldnt really be that big an issue... its not like you wont be able to find a computer to use

Flash2000
Jul 17, 2003, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by bluejam:
What abunch of spoiled brats. You are the first generation to even use computers, let alone laptops, for school work. Go grab a pencil, a notebook(the 3-ring type), some paper, and some patience and wait for the upgrade. Just stop your whining.
I don't think thats necessary. While I see the point you are trying to make (at least I think I do). I am gonna guess your are older since you mention this generation. I don't think you can compare two generations, todays generation as you mention has a high reliance on computers and notebooks, especially now in schools. Schools today not only have internet, but wireless internet, and some schools allow students to bring laptops to school. Times have changed, so just having a notebook and pencil is not enough. Besides, people are just awaiting a new product, nothing wrong with that. Everyone at somepoint gets anxious over something.
Current Macs:
20" ACD
40 Gig iPod Photo

webb3201
Senior User
Jul 17, 2003, 10:21 AM

Buy now and buy a nice used machine. You will get good functionality at a good price and be able to resale the used machine at close to your buy price. You can then grab the latest and greatest. I am not sure why you would want to keep the same machine through the entire college career.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Flash2000
Jul 17, 2003, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by webb3201:
Buy now and buy a nice used machine. You will get good functionality at a good price and be able to resale the used machine at close to your buy price. You can then grab the latest and greatest. I am not sure why you would want to keep the same machine through the entire college career.
Word. Where is the fun in that? lol. I know I bought my iMac last year thinking I would be good for a while and I am. But then I wanted a portable, so I ordered a 12" PB. Apple keeps coming out with things I think I need, and in some cases do. Its a costly hobby though. But I can't wait for my new 12!
Current Macs:
20" ACD
40 Gig iPod Photo

Pangasius
Jul 17, 2003, 10:56 AM

His point was that most of you would do fine for the next 4 years with an iBook, but your so spoiled thats not good enough. DUH

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 11:01 AM

yea ok... that will help a lot of us out...

what do you mean I can't turn my scheme code in on paper... bluejam said i should stop whining and i didnt need a computer...

for someone who is obviously preaching down on us cause you are older... you dont come across very well... evidently maturity doesnt hit everyone

Pangasius
Jul 17, 2003, 11:04 AM

Exactly so why does everyone have to bitch over some little minor powerbook upgrade. They act like Apple didn't do anything great this year. Furthermore they totally trash the 15 TI which is a great laptop. Thats the point. Those whoe are trashing apple and the TI and the ones who are immature.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 11:24 AM

Before my freshman year I had a similar problem. Infact I knew for a fact that the Pismo would be updated shortly after I arrived at school (I think it was the second day I was there) at Apple Expo Paris. I knew this because Apple was offering both Pismo models (500 and 400) at $500 off retail to education buyers (meaning I got my $2500 Pismo 400 for $2000). I think that if I had to do it all over again I would have done the same thing. I was pretty sure at that time the PowerBook G4 would be coming in January (and I was right) and I knew I couldn't wait that long. I was somewhat relieved to learn that the Pismo update was pretty much just a hard drive update (although my Pismo came with a pitifully smally 6GB HD that I filled within my first 2 months of school).

I am having a similar dillema now. I think my Pismo's time has finally come. Its just too slow in OS X. My school is offering an incredible deal on the TiBook 876 and I don't know if I should buy one or not. I know that if I had to I could deal with my Pismo for my senior year but I really don't want to, although I've been spending a lot more money this summer than I had been planning on spending. I just wish the revision date for the TiBook was known so I could better plan my decision.

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by UNTiMac:
Why not get a 12" and an external monitor? Portability and display size.
Bang!
Lysdexics have more fnu.

bluejam
Jul 17, 2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
yea ok... that will help a lot of us out...

what do you mean I can't turn my scheme code in on paper... bluejam said i should stop whining and i didnt need a computer...

for someone who is obviously preaching down on us cause you are older... you dont come across very well... evidently maturity doesnt hit everyone
OK. I was a bit cranky. Sorry for the insult.
Way back in the 90's when I was in school, I used the schools computers and jotted my notes on paper for half a semester before I could afford my 250Mhz/8Mg Apple. Don't even remember the model. This guy sounds as if he won't be able to hack it if he doesn't have one by the start of the school year. Getting pissed at Apple for not thinking of these poor students who get them at sharp discounts anyway. We're only talking a couple months wait here folks. Hell, some will be complaining they should have waited for rev B by chistmas.
Advise from an old guy? Knowing what the 12 & 17 inchers are like, definitely wait for the new 15.
I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Pangasius
Jul 17, 2003, 12:10 PM

For me I am not even in your position cause I dont got a laptop. Pismos are still great machines I thnk you could hold out another year. I really do. I for one have a month left to wait but refuse to buy at this point cause I have waited 8 months. I just am sick of hereing it now and wisht these threads would close. ITs getting out of hand.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 12:14 PM

Way back in the 90's when I was in school, I used the schools computers and jotted my notes on paper for half a semester before I could afford my 250Mhz/8Mg Apple. Don't even remember the model. This guy sounds as if he won't be able to hack it if he doesn't have one by the start of the school year. Getting pissed at Apple for not thinking of these poor students who get them at sharp discounts anyway. We're only talking a couple months wait here folks. Hell, some will be complaining they should have waited for rev B by chistmas.
Advise from an old guy? Knowing what the 12 & 17 inchers are like, definitely wait for the new 15.
there you go... should have just said that... but yea, i waited a month into school to get my tibook and was glad (well as glad as one can be owning a ti 550 with no L3 cache)

Cop Rock
Jul 17, 2003, 03:41 PM

I'm hoping to get a computer that will last me all four years; by my junior or senior year it will be a ways back speed wise to what's on the market, admittedly, but I want a computer that can still run everything I'd need at that point. You'd think Apple would realize that the 15" is popular and would try to update it for the Back-to-School season?
Any idea what you'll be doing with it? If you're thinking of just web/email/writing papers then I wouldn't worry about the speed as much. Even an iBook would be plenty. If you're going to do high end image or video stuff then you'll want as much power as there is, period.

Here's a suggestion: Buy a 12" iBook. Save the extra money and use it to buy another iBook in two years.

A 1GHz 15" Powerbook is $2600, twice the price of a 900MHz iBook with combo drive. Whatever iBook exists in two years (assuming one does) will probably be a lot faster than your two year old iBook or Powerbook. (These are retail prices, as a student I'm sure you'll do better.)

I got a Classic II when I went to college (16MHz) then bought a PowerMac 7100/66 at the start of Junior year. The speed benefit was great (plus the bump up to 800x600 in color from 512x384 black and white. I think the main benefit was that it ran Marathon better than all the other computers in the dorm (Quadrs and Centrises mostly.)

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Pangasius:
I just am sick of hereing it now and wisht these threads would close. ITs getting out of hand.
Here's an idea...just like you can change the channel on the tv if you don't like what's on...Don't go into these threads if they upset you so much. Because you spend an awful lot of time in these very same threads: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ost1481152</a>

Lets see, thats 31 total posts, with 29 of them being placed in the very same threads you say you are so sick of. Maybe you would just be a happier person if you changed the "channel"?

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 04:22 PM

I'm in the same situation. I'm waiting simply because I don't need a new computer until late August, and even then I could wait a little bit. If I ordered one now it would only be because I was too impatient to wait. I've done that before and I ended up ordering a Pismo one month before the G4 PB came out. Yes, I think the Pismo is a marvelous machine and it lasted and served its purpose. But yes, I would have liked to have gotten the G4. So I learned my lesson. Wait until I need it and don't let my impatience get the best of me.

Pangasius
Jul 17, 2003, 04:40 PM

Thank you for that lovely point but these forums are out of control and other people know it to so put a sock in it.

DKehlenbeck  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2003, 04:45 PM

I'm not pissed at Apple at all. Obviously it is easy (and wrong of me) to second guess Apple but that's the way with everything. It's not that I won't be able to deal without it, not that at all; I'm only surprised that it has been so long since they updated it, that's all. Would I be able to deal without an 15" Al (or any laptop, for that matter)? Certainly. I just think that the 15" fits my needs and so I'm just semi-seriously bemoaning the fact that the 15" has been "a few weeks" from an update for quite a while now. Then again, if I just stopped reading the rumor sites, then I would be pleasantly surprised whenever a new computer came out...

Pangasius
Jul 17, 2003, 05:17 PM

Well just so you know the more you say oh Im surprised its been this long the more people take it as "Why doesn't apple upgrade it" Dont you guys understand I dont want to be an ass but god.

ALL I repeat ALL, concetration, effort, and labor is going into PowerMac G5s look for yourself Apples homepage tells the story. Do not expect a 15 until this work has been close or done. Speculation is just stupid for a computer that needs a minor upgrade. It will come in time. Wait for the PowerMacs to faid out. The same thing happened when the PowerBooks got udpated last time. All efforts went to giving those fine computers to all of you fine people. So please just give it a rest. So what if your unhappy just be patient.

djjava
Senior User
Jul 17, 2003, 05:23 PM

PLEASE! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD... SOME MODERATOR OUT THERE LOCK THESE THREADS!!!!!! (and throw out the key)
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Pangasius
Jul 17, 2003, 05:28 PM

I dont believe a news site should allow so much speculation. I mean you can have a little bit, but having 10 threads open on the same thing is horrible. I don't understand why these threads aren't closed. Lets put up some positivity on this forum people. I know I have been harsh but I stand by what I said. There are some college students out there that would be happy with a iBook people lets not forget college students like me who are able to afford a PowerBook are quite lucky. So please the speculation save it for MacRumors. As someone said before I dont see anyone complaining that the iBook is out of date. Furthermore those of you who are in a dither cause you didnt get a freaken 15 G5 shut up you may never get it. It may end up to be a fast G3 made from IBM with more features. Furthermore if you think the G4 is slow then you got problems. I stand by another poster who said if you need power its right in front of you on the Apple site. The PowerMac G5. These are laptops specifically designed for portability based on your needs. Lets not forget this. You people are getting power hungry.

Pangasius
Jul 17, 2003, 05:32 PM

The reason I am posting so much here is to try to stop the crap. Its in every ******* mac board on the ******** information highway. That is why my friend. Obviously you don't see that. Its shameful. Possible switchers could be viewing this trash.

When someone makes a new thread called:
"Whens the new 15 comiing out" is just someone wanting to start something. It will come in time why speculate and waste time. I call these threads sick because they have all this garbage. I for one have not been posting this garbage. I have been trying to stop it. odd that the mods havent done crap to stop it. I would like to c more threads about what you can do with your laptops:
Video
Picture taking
how you use it, and more. This would help possible switchers and open doors for people to explore new possibilities with there laptops no matter what model it is. All apples machines are great quality and awesome products. Lets not forget this...

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 06:15 PM

Thank you for that lovely point but these forums are out of control and other people know it to so put a sock in it.
and
I dont believe a news site should allow so much speculation. I mean you can have a little bit, but having 10 threads open on the same thing is horrible. I don't understand why these threads aren't closed. Lets put up some positivity on this forum people. I know I have been harsh but I stand by what I said...
You cannot seem to tolerate people talking about what may come, when it might come, and their hopes for what could be in the offing. Two words...Free Speech.

You don't like all this talk about new powerbooks... So, you have resorted to demeaning people as you try to make them "shut up". A few quotes from your posts for example: "I am disgusted by you." "Those whoe (sic) are trashing apple and the TI and (sic) the ones who are immature." "DUH" "... your (sic) so spoiled thats not good enough." "Anyone that argues with what Emeril says is an absolute jack ass." "I might just go buy a TI now cause of all this crap and prove to you morons..." and perhaps my favorite..."In no way do I use the harsh terms you have used"

Wow. I guess those are words worth standing by...

This is a thread for people who want to talk about the topic listed in the title. I don't really think we all need to continue to read your attempts to abuse and demean the other forum members just because you don't like what they're talking about. Its abundantly clear that you don't like people talking about their ideas on future powerbooks. And you want it to stop.

I'm sure its frustrating that you can't control the thoughts and actions of other people. Here's another word for you...Tolerance. A very important word for someone going off to college. Because, there will be a lot of other people there with different ideas from you. One of the great benefits of college I might say. To be exposed to other ideas and opinions. A certain opportunity to cure the myopathy you suffer from. Now go play nice with the other kids and move on to another thread that interests you.
( Last edited by wilsonX; Jul 17, 2003 at 08:59 PM. )

Pangasius
Jul 17, 2003, 06:19 PM

I already posted toward your comment in another thread. Not going to waste my effort yet again.

God I am just getting a kick out of it. LOL whats your defense.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 07:00 PM

Hey student kid. The current 15" is awsome and is so far ahead of the competition its embarrasing. I have owned one for the past 5 months and I cant see this baby being obsolete for a long long time. By the looks of things there will be no serious updates till next year (with the G5 at least) so any mods that do happen over the next 6-12 months look to be pretty minor so I'd say take advantage of the low prices now and get a PB when you need one. There is nothing out there that they dont run perfectly competently. Well, except for MS word that is!

You will not regret buying one!

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2003, 07:34 PM

A true point, one that I haven't forgotten. It's not that I'm in desperate need of the computer right now, I just wish that it had been annouced already and that I could order one, even if I didn't have it in my hands for a month or two. I've waited this long, I may as well wait a little longer and see how it all comes down...worse comes to worse, I can always stumble my way through the fall semester by borrowing my parents 350 iMac (runs 10.2 decently but not great)...
It's overall your choice. Frankly if you think it's worth the wait to get a laptop that could cost the same, have a better enclosure, a better screen, and more features... go for it!

But if you have classes that rely on having a computer that's powerful enough to do the job, go get your laptop.

I am not here to dis apple, the powerbook, or anything else, what I am saying is it's your decision overall and it seems you really would be happier if you waited.

So if that's what you want, wait! I say it's worth it..

And I apologize for all the nasty people on these boards and in the mac community in general some people seem to really get bent out of shape when they hear their computer might become obsolete...

Hey I bought my g4 3 months before the dual ghz came out.. Had I gone back in time to redo the decision I would have waited since the second gen quicksilvers are some of the best computers ever..
Aloha

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 11:21 PM

I already posted toward your comment in another thread. Not going to waste my effort yet again.

God I am just getting a kick out of it. LOL whats your defense.
Wow, my "defense" is... Maybe you should refrain from insulting other people and mind your manners.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 12:08 AM

I dont believe a news site should allow so much speculation. I mean you can have a little bit, but having 10 threads open on the same thing is horrible. I don't understand why these threads aren't closed. Lets put up some positivity on this forum people.
well seeing how you aren't a moderator, or even a long standing member, you dont really have any say in the matter...

here is a suggestion for you... if something bothers you that much dont read it... it is really not that hard...

Dont you guys understand I dont want to be an ass but god.
I am pretty sure this is just an error in your grammer... but i mean this is really how you are coming off.. some people want to talk about stuff like this and you arent god around here and therefore please dont act like you know what is best for the forums... i like the atmosphere here and i dont want to deal with your crap

"Whens the new 15 comiing out" is just someone wanting to start something. It will come in time why speculate and waste time. I call these threads sick because they have all this garbage. I for one have not been posting this garbage. I have been trying to stop it. odd that the mods havent done crap to stop it. I would like to c more threads about what you can do with your laptops:
Video
Picture taking
how you use it, and more. This would help possible switchers and open doors for people to explore new possibilities with there laptops no matter what model it is.
once again... people obviously want to talk about it... if you feel like it is a waste of your time then dont read it... it really is that simple...

and if you want to "c" more threads about things you can do with your laptop... then you should probably go to the correct forum... since this forum only covers the actual powerbook hardware, then picture taking, video and the more doesnt fit in to this forum

obviously you are new here and a lot of these people probably wont hold this against you for very long, but for future reference, it probably isnt good to come barging into a community and demand that it changes as you see fit

so just remember, if you dont want to read it, dont

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2003, 05:30 AM

hey phang is it my imagination or has the number of hard-headed idiots on the mac forums gone up by a bit lately?

No I'm not talking about you or me but this other crazy dude and a bunch of other people (here and spymac). heh.
Aloha

golfer099
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2003, 05:13 PM

You wrote: "You'd think Apple would realize that the 15" is popular and would try to update it for the Back-to-School season?"

Think business - if Apple is going to update their powerbooks, they will want to get rid of as many as possible. even if they announce a new one in September, all new college students will want it before they leave.

I bit the bullet and bought my PowerBook G3 in August of 99 which was hard to come by (there was a like 5 week wait - thank God I found one) because I didn't want to wait for the first iBooks to come out in October and be computerless for two months.

Even with the iMacs (5 flavored 333 mhz at the time), they sold them to all the college students and introduced the slot ones in September or October. If you really want a new one wait, but if you need a computer, get it. Personally, I would go with 17 because it has bluetooth and 802.11 g rather than b, but 15should give you everything you need for 4 years, I've had mine for 4 years next month and it is still fine, running 10.2.6.

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2003, 03:41 AM

Not that saying this is going to make that much of a difference, but I'll say it anyway.

Yes, there are several threads on when the 15" will be updated. If you don't like them don't read them. However, I think this thread was fully justifie as a separate one simply because it was aimed directly at rising freshman college students, not at the general populace (who are sick of threads about 15" updates).

Haven't you people noticed that no matter how many times you berate peope for being redundant, it still happens and the only result is the threads degenerate into flame wars? Get over it and move on. This is the way message boards on the internet work. You can search for threads on a specific topic that you would like to see just as easily as you can tell other people to.

----------------------

Now, back on topic. I think that if Apple hasn't announced the 15" by mid-August, or at least announced an Apple event or something, I'll just go ahead and get the 12". It's plenty of power, but I was trying to get as much as I can for the money.

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Jul 20, 2003, 05:08 AM

Originally posted by moofman:
Now, back on topic. I think that if Apple hasn't announced the 15" by mid-August, or at least announced an Apple event or something, I'll just go ahead and get the 12". It's plenty of power, but I was trying to get as much as I can for the money.
You are thinking of givving up a Pismo for a 12". The Pismo is a great machine. It is a little slow for some major work but it is still very capable. If I were you I wouldn't let that money in the walet burn me. You should try and hold out for a while.

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2003, 10:20 AM

Well, not really. My Pismo died in March of precessor failure (along with the CD drive). Now I'm running on an old clamshell iBook that we have and it's about to drive me crazy. And dad won't let me take this to college since he does some home finance stuff on this one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules