Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Permssions weirdness, and more!

Permssions weirdness, and more!
schwachs
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2003, 07:47 PM

So as part of my regular "maintenance" of my G4 (Dual 1.42, fwiw) I ran Disk Utility to correct the permissions on my main drive...

However, this time, all seems to have hit the proverbial fan.

I get the following msgs/errors when I try to repair:

Code:
2003-07-18 19:38:58 -0400 - Repair of privileges has started User differs on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/Info.plist, should be 0, owner is 501 Owner and group not corrected on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/Info.plist, reason Operation not permitted Permissions not corrected on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/Info.plist, reason Operation not permitted User differs on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk Utility, should be 0, owner is 501 Owner and group not corrected on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk Utility, reason Operation not permitted Permissions not corrected on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk Utility, reason Operation not permitted User differs on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS, should be 0, owner is 501 Owner and group not corrected on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS, reason Operation not permitted
And that's just the top of the text... it goes one for what must be just about every file on the HD. (If I copy and paste the text into bbedit, I geto 4095 pages worth of msgs. Eek!)

The only other weird symptom that my Mac seems to have is that it doesn't reliably mount CDs or DMG files. When I dbl click on DMG files, I get a "Error 95 No mountable file systems." (That's not the exact msg but pretty darn close.

Any idea what's going on? This seems to have happened right around the time I ran DiskWarrior3 on this machine but the Alsoft people claim (quite profusely in fact) they don't touch permissions.

Finally, if I run the Software Install/Restore from the disk Apple included w/ the G4, will I lose everything on my HD? I'd like to know if there's a way to just re-install the system without starting from scratch. Sorry for the long winded msg but I'm definitely at a loss.

Thanks.

-- Schwa

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jul 19, 2003, 01:22 AM

This was posted by Tsilou B. in another thread, might help you.:

You are trying to repair the permissions with "Disk Utility", but if you look at the output, its own permissions are incorrect, so that it has no longer the authorisation to correct permissions.

It's easy to fix that. Open a Terminal and enter:

sudo chmod a+s "/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk Utility"

it will prompt for your administrator password.

Then enter another command:

sudo chown root "/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk Utility"

when these commands have run, start Disk Utility again, and this time, it will fix the permissions.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2003, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by schwachs:
ware Install/Restore from the disk Apple included w/ the G4, will I lose everything on my HD? I'd like to know if there's a way to just re-install the system without starting from scratch.
Uisng system restore, you can just install the system without touching your user folders or application folder.

This is why you should always save things, add fonts, plugins and preferences within your user folder

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules