Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is there a way to turn off Quarz Extreme?

Is there a way to turn off Quarz Extreme?
fhoubi
Senior User
Jul 30, 2003, 07:52 PM

My iBook 700 (16 MB video ram) is just over one year old, I upgraded from 10.1 to 10.2.X about 5..6 months ago. Since then, I severed some nasty problems.

Some programs do not run fluid anymore, f.e. dvd player and Demos Rising.

Further because of Quarz Extreme I suffer some heavy thermical problems, when running Quicktime (the last keynote) or games, F1 Championship 2000, the computer will likely to crash within 10..15 minutes... Sometimes the fan will come up shortly before, sometimes not. The iBook is f**** hot when it crashes...

The logical board is repaired twice... unless the computer gets hot it is doing fine. I am running 10.2.6 now.

Under 10.1 (with no Quarz Extreme) it would run fine. Suggestions?
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 08:02 PM

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Resources/Configuration.plist

you could edit this file to turn off QuartzExtreme, for example by setting GLCompositorUseOnPortable to No or GLCompositorMinimumVRAM to 32.

(didn't test, do not guarantee)
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 08:06 PM

Quartz Extreme has nothing to do with your system instability. It sounds like a thermal problem. You say you've had problems with the mother board. Sounds like you still do.

Some Guy []
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2003, 08:32 PM

This totally doesn't sound like a Quartz Extreme issue, might be a driver issue, did you install some ATI drivers or something?

anyways, you can get this app made by apple which was never officially released, it lets you turn QE on/off in realtime and it also shows a neat little meter showing QE performance.

http://psychosis.net/~justin/QuartzExtreme.app.sit

fhoubi  (op)
Senior User
Jul 30, 2003, 08:38 PM

Thanks developer. I will try.
No I never did install extra drivers or something. The stuttering of the dvd player (when moving the mouse) gets my crazy.
The problem never occured without Quarz Extreme, and the iBook ran much cooler appearantly without it....
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

theory
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2003, 09:04 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't
QE need 32Mb of vram?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by theory:
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't
QE need 32Mb of vram?
You're wrong.

QE requires 16MB, but prefers 32MB.
Vandelay Industries

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 03:41 AM

you said you upgraded from OS 10.1 ... maybe you should try doing a fresh install of Jag.

Here I have an iBook with the same specs and has no problems at all ...
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2003, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Thinine:
Quartz Extreme has nothing to do with your system instability. It sounds like a thermal problem. You say you've had problems with the mother board. Sounds like you still do.
Actually, QE could theoretically be causing a thermal problem. Graphics chips tend to run pretty hot when they're in use.

However, I doubt this is what's wrong. Many things could be going wrong apart from QE. OSX 10.2, which introduced QE, changed a lot of things; one of these could be causing the problem.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules