Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quark 6 - Double-click images to 'Open Publisher' GONE!

Quark 6 - Double-click images to 'Open Publisher' GONE!
dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2003, 03:54 PM

Why doesn't the double-click work on picture box images in Quark 6 anymore? It used to give you the 'Open Publisher' option. It was so time saving. Does anyone know of an alternative? Now, I have to manually find my image, and launch the app... arghhh.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2003, 04:40 PM

That's what you get for using Quark's apps

dadder  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
That's what you get for using Quark's apps
Ya, I wonder what other surprises I'll run into. Yikes.

digital_dreamer
Jul 25, 2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by dadder:
Why doesn't the double-click work on picture box images in Quark 6 anymore? It used to give you the 'Open Publisher' option. It was so time saving. Does anyone know of an alternative? Now, I have to manually find my image, and launch the app... arghhh.
Incidently, that�s not Quark�s fault, although they should have provided a replacement. �Publish/Subscribe� is a rarely used OS feature coming from the System 7 days. I never used the feature, and don�t know of any others that used it, as well. But, as it happens, it was extremely useful in opening images in QuarkXPress.

Try Badia�s BigPicture extension. It�s $89.99 for a single-user license.

InDesign looks better all the time, eh?

regards,
MAJ

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by digital_dreamer:
Incidently, that�s not Quark�s fault, although they should have provided a replacement. �Publish/Subscribe� is a rarely used OS feature coming from the System 7 days. I never used the feature, and don�t know of any others that used it, as well. But, as it happens, it was extremely useful in opening images in QuarkXPress.
Yep, can't call Quark on that one. Publish & Subscribe a cool feature in the OS that was so poorly implemented by app developers, that Is taken till now (what is it 3/4 years) for an app to be ported and to realise it wasn't brought over in to OSX .

I bet that there's no replacement tec (in this release) because all Quark had to do previously is hook in to the OS, they probably didn't realize that the feature had gone until it was to late in the dev cycle.

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2003, 07:19 PM

thats awful. It saved so much time and if if its the os's fault you cant blame Quark... BUT every other developer that wants to get round it gets round it.

if you open a Macromedia app, they have subcribed image formats- in Flash, you can control-click an image, and lo-and-behold, there is the option (with no setting up) to open an image in Photoshop if Photoshop is on your machine.
And Dreamweaver- it goes one step back, but still as productive- set up different apps for different extensions in the prefs. Its crap Quark havent sorted it, really.
This is not a we hate Quark post- I use it everyday, and would hate to use anything else (you now what I mean), but this is so instrisic to the work flow, I cant believe they haven't 'hacked' round the problem... bad idea not to impliment.

looks like the classic-free dream is a way off still then

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2003, 07:44 PM

So why does InDesign have this feature in OS X? Am I thinking of the same thing? In InDesign's "Links" palette there's an option to "Edit Original" button that will open the link in it's preferred app.

I use this feature constantly, and I would hate to do without it. Chalk up another reason not to upgrade my Quark 4.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 08:20 PM

Publish and Subscribe is actually one of the few features of Sys7-9 that I wish was in OSX. Most of the others people harp about really hold no appeal to me. But I actually used P&S. You can do some cool stuff with it.

But, like a lot of other cool technology from those days (OpenDoc, QuickdrawGX, Quickdraw3D) Apple didn't make it easy for developers to use, didn't evangelize it, and never really sold it as something useful. Those were the days that Apple would be busy focused on features no one cared about instead of what everyone was clamoring for.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2003, 11:50 AM

There are lots of things missing in osx that were in os9 such as labels et al. that is a shame. perhaps this will be implemented in 10.3??
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Helvetica Neue
Jul 26, 2003, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
So why does InDesign have this feature in OS X? Am I thinking of the same thing? In InDesign's "Links" palette there's an option to "Edit Original" button that will open the link in it's preferred app.
Yep. This was simply a feature not implemented in Q6, because its old codebase and the sloppy and hurried OSX port it is.

Maroma. You can even create a shortcut for this in Indesign (under Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts>Palette Menus>Links:Edit Original).

With the shortcut I have set, all I have to do is select an image and choose my option-1 shortcut and the image opens in Photoshop
Always on the run...

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2003, 06:27 PM

Appleworks still has publish and subscribe on X, doesn't it?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

dadder  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
There are lots of things missing in osx that were in os9 such as labels et al. that is a shame. perhaps this will be implemented in 10.3??
Yeah, they will. See Steve Jobs World Wide Developer's Conference speech about Panther from Apple's website www.apple.com . It's awesome! He talks about the G5 and a couple other Apple goodies, too.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Helvetica Neue:
Yep. This was simply a feature not implemented in Q6, because its old codebase and the sloppy and hurried OSX port it is.

Maroma. You can even create a shortcut for this in Indesign (under Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts>Palette Menus>Links:Edit Original).

With the shortcut I have set, all I have to do is select an image and choose my option-1 shortcut and the image opens in Photoshop
Great tip! Thanks. I'm always lookin for ways to use key commands. Thanks!

dadder  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 04:50 PM

Thanks to the nice people at Badia Software, they made me aware of this Xtension called Edit Original:

http://www.quark.com/service/desktop...ls.jsp?idx=536

Quark came through! Yippee!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by digital_dreamer:
Incidently, that�s not Quark�s fault, although they should have provided a replacement.
It works in other apps so YES it is their fault for being so bloody stupid.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules