Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help to run EPSON Stylus RIP software on OS X

Help to run EPSON Stylus RIP software on OS X
dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 11:12 AM

We currently have the EPSON Stylus 1280 inkjet printer running on our network of Macs on OS X. We are also running Quark v.6. We can print to the printer, but since we are in OS X, we have not been able to run the EPSON Stylus RIP software which would allow us to print postscript images. Does anyone know of a workaround for this? Somebody told me there's a way to install the drivers into OS X, but I would need explicit detail on how to do this.
I have also researched and found PowerRIP X v.7.0 for $369 that would run in OS X and support Postscript for our printer, but am looking to save the $$$. If I have to buy it, I guess I'll have to buy it. Any help?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2003, 12:08 PM

If you print from classic in Quark 5 it should work.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 01:53 PM

We're running it on OS 9 and printing to it over the network. That's the only option I know of for OS X. Epson says they'll have the 3000s supported in OS X by Q3 of this year.
Vandelay Industries

dadder  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 05:38 PM

Since we were in a crunch of needing the postscript software ASAP, I found PowerRIP X v.7 from www.birmy.com (iProof?) and paid the $369. Was a bite to the pocketbook, particularly with Jaquar right around the corner, but I had to do it. I've installed it and printed with it and it does what it says. I'm still experimenting with getting the solid ink coverage I had with the EPSON StylusRIP. Right now it's a little 'dotty'. But I think that's a matter of choosing the right color and paper prefs. I'll keep everyone posted.

dadder  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2003, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by dadder:
I'll keep everyone posted.
Yeah, it works great. It uses the 'linescreen (lpi)' option out of the Quark print window. So now I've got great prints.

Forum Links
Forum Rules