Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Rubber feet death

Rubber feet death
shpetros
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2003, 07:44 AM

Hello all,

I always read these forums but as you can see, I dont post much.

Anyway, I have a 17" PowerBook and two of the rubber feet have fallen off. I have one of them and the other has gone AWOL.

One fell off a while ago but I managed to stick it back on with double sided tape (the kind that comes on yellow rolls and leaves a clear glue-like substance - used for sticking down PCBs i believe) but the damn thing managed to escape after a couple of weeks only never to be seen again.

Is it possible for me to order these things from apple or would they laugh in my face?
I dont like my PB sliding around on the desk!

Another thing is that the speaker grills have bits of dirt in them. Is there any way to safely clean these out without hurting the speakers?

I must admit, the only thing i dont like about this PB is that there are too many nooks and crannies for dust & dirt to get into.

The TiBook seems to be much easier to clean/maintain.

Oh and is it possible to remove the keyboard? I'd like to clean under that too.

oh oh oh and one last thing - Any ideas on hard drive upgrades? I only saw one site regarding opening up a pb17 - it was by some japanese guy i think. I dont remember the link though.

oh oh oh oh and another thing - You know screen release button or whatever you want to call it - the one with the sleep light - Mine seems to be peeling. Theres like a layer on it thats flaked off here and there to reveal a really shiny silver surface (which is nice). I dont seem to remember there being a label there - Perhaps its somesort of protective material.

Sorry for the long post!

shpetros
( Last edited by shpetros; Aug 5, 2003 at 07:51 AM. )

voyageur
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 08:00 AM

You may be in luck re the rubber feet: Apple just posted a link to a PDF about replacing feet on their Knowledge Base.

shpetros  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2003, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by voyageur:
You may be in luck re the rubber feet: Apple just posted a link to a PDF about replacing feet on their Knowledge Base.
Thanks!

Ah atleast I know what kind of glue to use now.

I wonder - If i call Apple UK, would they send me out a foot kit?

shpetros

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2003, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by shpetros:
I wonder - If i call Apple UK, would they send me out a foot kit?
Call them and see.

Hmm, perhaps I should get one... My feet started falling off, but I managed to keep track of them all and superglue them back. However, one of them has fallen off again and I can't find it... :-/ (12")

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2003, 08:29 AM

I find it strange that the design team did not test out sliding the foot of the PB to see how much force it took to lose one.

seeing the problem and redesign it before launch
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

cwasko
Senior User
Aug 5, 2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Naz:
I find it strange that the design team did not test out sliding the foot of the PB to see how much force it took to lose one.

seeing the problem and redesign it before launch
While I agree that it sucks, it is also nice that there is an option to 'fix' the problem without having to send the darn laptop back.

jaxxe
Aug 5, 2003, 01:19 PM

3 of my 12" PB's feet have fallen off... Still have 'em though! :^) I'll get some super glue and fix 'em.

As to the film on the latch/button thingy, yes, it is indeed a film. I noticed mine flaking a few weeks back and took it all off.
24" iMac (Intel) / G4 15" PB; 1.5Ghz / G4 12" PB; 867Mhz
AGP Graphics G4 Desktop; 350Mhz
5G - 30 Gigabyte iPod / 4G - 40 Gigabyte iPod / 1G - 5 Gigabyte iPod
Airport Extreme / Airport Express /
iSight

Tomster
Senior User
Aug 5, 2003, 01:22 PM

I've had no problems getting replacement feet from any of the Apple retail stores. Are you close to any?

shpetros  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Tomster:
I've had no problems getting replacement feet from any of the Apple retail stores. Are you close to any?
I am in the UK :/ There arent any offical apple stores here.

Im not sure about those repair centres and where they are either.

shpetros.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by shpetros:
I am in the UK :/ There arent any offical apple stores here.
Indeed there aren't. But you can phone up Apple Support and I'm sure they'll send you some feet.

Im not sure about those repair centres and where they are either.
Go here and search.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2003, 03:20 PM

Hello,
If you can't get them from apple do a search on ebay for "Powerbook Rubber Feet"

There like 1.99 and something for shipping, not to bad. Just thought.
real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2003, 07:26 PM

Those eBay feet are just hardware store bumpers. Real Apple feet are $29.00 for four (no, seriously).

Some Mac web stores sell them for $15.00 for four (no, really). One individual placed such an order without reading description closely and received ONE foot in a large padded box (no, not an urban legend, it really happened).

BTW, iBook feet are considered a factory repair and must be sent to Apple (no, really).

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 12:47 PM

Well I phoned up Apple UK, and they're sending me replacement feet for my 12".

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 04:09 PM

Yep, lost one today. I blame it on the heat, it actually stuck to the table. Nothing a bit of super-glue couldn't fix....

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 04:55 PM

Mine have already had one round of superglue, and they fell off again 2 weeks afterwards. I only have two left, god knows where the rest are.

Forum Links
Forum Rules