Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Diablo II beta - new release

Diablo II beta - new release
rbarris
Blizzard Staff
Aug 4, 2003, 06:34 PM

The third beta version of Diablo II v1.10 has been posted:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/beta

Rob rbarris "at" blizzard.com

gheff
Aug 4, 2003, 09:51 PM

Ick.

I gather that one of the things this beta's supposed to do is remove duplicate items and those that were gotten illegally. But it's way too agressive. My character ended up essentially naked in the middle of Hell. All that he had left were his 2 gemmed swords. All the items that he lost were legitimate items. I started this character at the start of the 1.10 beta.

I copied my whole folder before applying the 3rd beta so hopefully the saves in my 2nd beta folder are still intact.

I guess if I were a real beta tester I'd be starting a fresh character with this new beta release, but I've invested too much time in this guy to start fresh.

#gheff

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Aug 5, 2003, 11:06 AM

Same problem here, but it was even more aggressive in my case. It went so far as to remove gems from my inventory, not to mention getting rid of all my equipment except a gemmed helm (hmm, coincidence?) I wasn't smart enough to back up my save folder beforehand, either, so my poor barbarian is completely screwed now... apparently Windows users can get their items back by running the batch script to revert to 1.09, but we Mac users don't have that luxury it looks like; dumping all the save files for that character into my 1.09 Save folder resulted in 1.09 simply not seeing that character at all. I realize I shouldn't whine, considering this is a beta and all, but I'm rather upset about having lost all that work... I don't suppose anyone has ideas about how to rescue my barbarian? I reverted back to the 1.10v2 patch, but my barb is still nekkid.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2003, 11:19 AM

maybe email a friend with a windows machine the file and see if they can run the conversion for you.

they don't need diablo, just d/l a copy of the reverter.

-- james

The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2003, 12:15 PM

1.10b1 and b2 characters are incompatible with b3. They will probably also be incompatible with the final release of 1.10. But hey, you were all playing the beta to beta test, right? You weren't actually expecting to be able to keep these characters and have them work in the final, were you?

1.09 characters should not have any of their items deleted, so if you have 1.10b1 or b2 installed, first revert to 1.09. Then upgrade to 1.10b3. All of your legit items should then be fine.

Crunch Something

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Aug 5, 2003, 12:48 PM

Er, no, they're not incompatible... they do work. They just get robbed. And your suggestion is a good one, though unfortunately it's a bit late for my poor barbarian...
As for your sarcastic questions, actually I was playing to get a feel for what the final would be like, and to have fun. I don't recall their being anything in the beta readme about having fun being against the spirit of the release, rather the contrary in fact. My disclaimer, "I realize I shouldn't whine, considering this is a beta and all," was intended to forstall precisely that sort of comment -- asking if there's a way around it, however, is a bit different from whining about it, and if you honestly wouldn't care if all your beta characters got ruined, you're either still essentially playing in 1.09 (which is fine) or you should probably check to make sure you're still having fun. It is, after all, a game.

The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2003, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
As for your sarcastic questions, actually I was playing to get a feel for what the final would be like, and to have fun. I don't recall their being anything in the beta readme about having fun being against the spirit of the release, rather the contrary in fact. My disclaimer, "I realize I shouldn't whine, considering this is a beta and all," was intended to forstall precisely that sort of comment -- asking if there's a way around it, however, is a bit different from whining about it, and if you honestly wouldn't care if all your beta characters got ruined, you're either still essentially playing in 1.09 (which is fine) or you should probably check to make sure you're still having fun. It is, after all, a game.
I agree with everything you said. As for the "sarcastic" comments, what I said wasn't really aimed at you, it was aimed more toward the masses. And heck, I was just ribbin' ya guys!

Everyone in this thread has been really mature about the entire beta, which impresses me. Over at the battle.net and diabloii.net forums, however, everyone is whining up a storm...

Crunch Something

Tomster
Senior User
Aug 5, 2003, 01:43 PM

Haven't played Diablo II since 9. I recalled there was an item trainer and a character trainer. Would that work to restore items in local games, or was that what the upgrade was supposed to address?

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 01:49 PM

If you copied your files from 1.10 over to 1.09 then of course 1.09 won't see the characters. It's an older version trying to read a new version's character. If you overwrote an existing 1.09 character or all your 1.09 characters and don't have them backed up somewhere else, then your open character items are basically toast
I have several copies of my 1.09 save folder so I was able to get my 1.09 character items back. Since most of my 1.10 testing was with 1.09 uber characters (testing out OpenGL trouble spots mainly) I didn't really lose much.
I am amazed at all the people over at battle.net and diabloii.net that forgot they're beta testing something... I've been in MMORPG beta tests where player wipes happened every couple of weeks and no one ever complained.

ambush
Banned
Aug 5, 2003, 09:20 PM

Is the Battle.net 1.10 patch going to solve all the hack problems?

theory
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2003, 12:20 AM

I hope it does. All the hacked players on open battle net makes it deppresing.

ambush
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by theory:
I hope it does. All the hacked players on open battle net makes it deppresing.
Hackers also have invaded closed battle net (non-open)...

In open, hacking is normal, and cannot be countered by Bliz, because it uses local saved files....

But on Closed Battle.net, it's another story...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2003, 08:13 AM

open gl performance increase in this beta? (for those who have graphic cards that are powerful enough that is)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules