Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 17" sleep questions

New 17" sleep questions
YeahIgotone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2003, 09:26 AM

Alright i looked through the search thing and was not able to answer my question so noone ask me to search. I was wondering if it is possible to still leave applications like iChat open when the computer is sleeping. When i close the lid it automatically signs me off. Also how do i keep the computer running when the lid is shut ie. using another monitor or playing music.

Thanks
Yes, i do own a 17" powerbook and
people do stare...

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2003, 09:37 AM

You cannot keep the computer on AND have the lid shut UNLESS you have an external monitor connected...in that case, do this:

1.) Close Lid, computer goes to Sleep

2.) Plug in Monitor/Mouse/Keyboard, hit Spacebar

3.) Computer wakes, have fun
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by YeahIgotone:
Alright i looked through the search thing and was not able to answer my question so noone ask me to search. I was wondering if it is possible to still leave applications like iChat open when the computer is sleeping. When i close the lid it automatically signs me off. Also how do i keep the computer running when the lid is shut ie. using another monitor or playing music.

Thanks

As AssassyN pointed out, the only way to leave your machine running while it's closed is to hook up external peripherals...

I remember reading an Apple KB article about this a while back (too lazy to hunt for it right now) that also mentioned it might prevent convection cooling through the keyboard, so to be cautious putting the machine under a heavy load in this configuration for an extended period of time (i.e. don't leave it rendering some video all night w/ the lid closed). Never tried it myself, so I don't know... though I have accidentally woken it from sleep w/ my USB mouse while closed and it DOES in fact wake with the screen off.

As for leaving things like iChat running in the background when it's asleep... it's impossible. The machine is (for all practical purposes) OFF when it's asleep. The only thing receiving power is the RAM (perhaps PRAM as well)... the CPU/HD/Video are all powered/spun down completely.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2003, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by YeahIgotone:

Thanks
Just turn the back light all the way down, that will keep your stuff running and will minimize wear on your LCD. I actually had my PB last almost 6 hours on battery with the back light off while isteneing to music at a low volume.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2003, 10:27 PM

or if you'd like to use an external monitor as a main one. turn off your powerbook. connect the secondary monitor or tv (via svideo out). boot up your powerbook. once you see the apple logo, close the lid. your computer will automatically recognize the secondary monitor as primary. once you see your desktop has fully loaded on the external monitor, you are free to open the powerbook lid, and use it's keyboard if you don't want to hook up an external one. your powerbook screen will still be turned off. you can then close the lid and open it whenever you want. let us know how it goes.
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Aug 14, 2003, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by juanpacolopez:
I remember reading an Apple KB article about this a while back (too lazy to hunt for it right now) that also mentioned it might prevent convection cooling through the keyboard
The TiBooks released some of their heat through the keyboard, the AlBooks on the otherhand do not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules