Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Instead of G5. Let's go back in time, 2 generations...

Instead of G5. Let's go back in time, 2 generations...
Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 06:18 PM

Well I'm about to pick up a Beige G3 tower (a 300 or 333) which I want to transform into a "Media Server". It will be hooked up to my amp to play MP3/AACs and to my TV (to play DVD, well this is more of a gimmick as I have a PS2 who is perfectly capable of doing this ). I will also use it as a backup server for my Ti867 and maybe as a print server attached to a HP LaserJet. And as a backup on CD device *cough* copy *cough* machine
But anyway what I wanted to know is:
Will this machine be able to play DivX at TV-resolution ? I really don't want to invest a fortune in some G4 or faster G3 card. I also want to know if it would be hackable to a fanless machine (this could be more of a question for the Mod forum or Applefritter forums).

thanks.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 08:07 PM

I'd be surprised if it can do full screen DivX. My G4/450 was barely able to keep up.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2003, 08:09 PM

My iBook/500 even has issues playing Divx smoothly at 640x480. And with the stock Rage card in the Beige, I doubt you'll be successful, at least in OS X.

May be possible in 9.

Powaqqatsi  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 04:58 AM

Originally posted by exa:
My iBook/500 even has issues playing Divx smoothly at 640x480. And with the stock Rage card in the Beige, I doubt you'll be successful, at least in OS X.

May be possible in 9.
I am planning on using a Radeon 7000. The Rage is useless, I'm aware of that. Any other opinions?

Oh and 2 other questions: does the Beige G3 support deep sleep or another type of sleep ? And does it support headless ?
( Last edited by Powaqqatsi; Aug 21, 2003 at 08:29 AM. )

zigmeister
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2003, 10:41 PM

I can play full screen DivX but it's pretty jittery on my beige G3.
Master of Zigs

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 22, 2003, 11:32 AM

My dad's G3 doesn't seem to support deep sleep, no...the hard drive spins down but the fan keeps going.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2003, 12:00 PM

I have a Beige G3 that plays DivX movies at television resolution just fine. Of course, it's been upgraded (500MHz G3, 320MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 10,000 RPM drive).

A bone stock Beige G3 might be able to keep up, running OS 9. In OS X, you'll be able to play music no problems, but don't expect much on the video front. With appropriate upgrades, however, you might be happy.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2003, 12:37 PM

I think you might need to plug an old VGA cable or something into the video card on the stock beige G3. With the 7000, I'm not sure. Don't know if it was a video thing or a motherboard thing or what.

Powaqqatsi  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2003, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by eyadams:
I have a Beige G3 that plays DivX movies at television resolution just fine. Of course, it's been upgraded (500MHz G3, 320MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 10,000 RPM drive).

A bone stock Beige G3 might be able to keep up, running OS 9. In OS X, you'll be able to play music no problems, but don't expect much on the video front. With appropriate upgrades, however, you might be happy.
Do you run it in OS9 ?

thanks for the comments

Forum Links
Forum Rules