Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Steve Jobs to open Paris Show

Steve Jobs to open Paris Show
beachmark
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2003, 02:13 PM

Apple just released a press statement that Steve Jobs is to hold a key note speech at the opening of the Apple Show in Paris.

My goodness I really hope that he will announce somethingsignificant. Even if it is only to stop the annoying postings about upgraded powerbooks on all Mac forums.

I am very happy with my 17incher so I will read about it when he finsihed his speech.

Maybe a suggestion ot all Powerbook upgrade posters to stop posting until Steve Jobs has done his keynote.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 02:39 PM

Yeah it's getting annoying with all those posts claiming that they have info on the rumored possible release date(s) of the new PBs....
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by beachmark:

My goodness I really hope that he will announce somethingsignificant. Even if it is only to stop the annoying postings about upgraded powerbooks on all Mac forums.

<snip>

Maybe a suggestion ot all Powerbook upgrade posters to stop posting until Steve Jobs has done his keynote.
Haha. You think it'd stop there? What about the whiners, "there's no this there's no that in the new PowerBooks, Apple has no business sense, If I were CEO, Apple Sucks, blah blah". All the annoying posts are just about to start, believe me you ain't seen nothing yet.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 02:50 PM

... Even if it is only to stop the annoying postings about upgraded powerbooks on all Mac forums ... Maybe a suggestion [to] all Powerbook upgrade posters to stop posting until Steve Jobs has done his keynote.
What in the hell is wrong with we "PowerBook Waitin' Posters" continuously whining, speculating, crying, etc. about new machines?

If you don't like 'em, don't read 'em ... it's not like your car's getting worse mileage, we're reducing your tax rebate, or kicking you in the knees ... is it?

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2003, 02:53 PM

Actually, my mileage has been going down a little bit since last week. And with these gas prices....
Backup your Backup

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 02:57 PM

Is there a link for this press release? I don't see anything about it on the Apple site.

-b

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by aapljack:
Is there a link for this press release? I don't see anything about it on the Apple site.

-b
See ... aapljack is frothing at the mouth ...

WE WANT OUR [UPDATED] POWERBOOKS, he said with a swift kick to the knee. (Does anyone remember the swift jokes?)

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 03:14 PM

Honesty, since last week I'm think I'm going mental.

Just emailed a person on craigslist for a 12" PB for sale for $1100.

fuk, I think I might take it..............

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 03:18 PM

Hellz yeah I'm frothing. Nothing like having money in the bank and eagerly waiting for the product to get released. My wife thinks I'm nuts. It's fun checking out all the rumors.

Plus, I think Apple Expo is the time. It is getting harder for me to imagine all these announcements on some odd Tuesday press release or something.

-b

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 03:24 PM

aapljack - I'm with, bring on the straight jackets!!

Seriously though, I'm so close to cracking as I'm a good American raised on "instant gratification" values, that this waitin' is driving me crazy!!

BTW, beachmark, how the hell does your prediction thread differ from any others regarding new PB, really?

Echo

beachmark  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2003, 03:30 PM

mainemanx
The announcement of the keynote use is published on some European websites of Apple under the hot news heading.

echosphere:
I am not one of these Apple users who is naggin ghte time about upcoming computers. I am very happy with my 17inch and nothing can change that. I dare to say that I have some sense and know that there will be updates every time and at the moment I bought mine I knew it was already outdated but this computer does for me what I want so I hve no reason to predict and wish for. Maybe in 30-36 months when I consider to upgrade. However i will probably do the same as this time.: go into the shop and order one and not wait for one to arrive one day.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2003, 04:03 PM

So who will be up at 4 AM EST on Sept. 16th hitting re-load on apple.com?

Sadly, I am sure I will be one....
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 04:18 PM

I'm not frothing enough to get up at 4am. I figure the news will still be there to welcome me when I come in to work. Of course, apple.com will be the first site I hit that day.

OK..I might look as soon as I wake up! But no sooner...

-b

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2003, 04:32 PM

Apple just released a press statement that Steve Jobs is to hold a key note speech at the opening of the Apple Show in Paris.

I am very happy with my 17incher so I will read about it when he finsihed his speech.

Where is the press release? The Apple Paris web site does not mention Steve Jobs anywhere and www.apple.com/pr does not have it.

beachmark  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2003, 04:45 PM

CheesePuff
Not selective reading from your side would have avoided this question. See my earlier posting
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®

edwood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2003, 04:52 PM

I live in italy and I've found a flight with Ryanair that with 2 euros go and come back to Paris (+ taxes)

would be cool to go to Apple Expo.. anybody knows how much is to enter???

if it's quite cheap I could buy the tickets tonight!

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by edwood:
I live in italy and I've found a flight with Ryanair that with 2 euros go and come back to Paris (+ taxes)

They were having free registrations. I don't know about now. MWSF is usually pretty cheap under $20 US if you sign up early.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by pjmurphy:
So who will be up at 4 AM EST on Sept. 16th hitting re-load on apple.com?

Sadly, I am sure I will be one....
I'll be there in spirit. . .

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 05:57 PM

Here is the post about it..

http://www.apple.com/de/hotnews/

-b

utkucan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2003, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
They were having free registrations. I don't know about now. MWSF is usually pretty cheap under $20 US if you sign up early.

it is free to get in. just go to http://www.apple-expo.com/ and register...

*looks at his flight booking confirmation and "K" (Keynote) marked entry badge and (not so) patiently waits for the 16th*

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2003, 06:47 PM

I think its too late for me my 17" PB was put on hold till Sept 20th

but the Purchasing department of the company I'm working with is trying to tell the boss I don't know jack there is no update for PBs.

"Our Purchasing department just found out that Apple is upgrading the processors in the desktops only at this time - not the laptops. Shall we go ahead and order the current version, in that case? We can upgrade the memory if that would be desirable."

edit: Oh I was at the SOHO Store when I got this Memory offer over waiting - so I asked the MacHead Employee next to me "He just said No, No PB Upgrades anytime soon..." (major-rolleyes!)

So I replied and said yeah go ahead get the current PB.

I hate the wait anyway I need to use it now, like yesterday...

I will take beachmark's advice and just be happy with my 17"PB whenever I get it.
( Last edited by Naz; Aug 25, 2003 at 06:53 PM. )
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

tritonus
Senior User
Aug 25, 2003, 06:56 PM

Which flight is that? 2 Euros?!

I could join you from Switzerland.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

edwood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2003, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by tritonus:
Which flight is that? 2 Euros?!

I could join you from Switzerland.

It's With Ryanair.com (commercial break) there are not many directions so you would better check on their site to see if switzerland is covered.
I bought yesterday night the tickets (after registering for the keynote for free) at 5 euro (with taxes is 36euro) from Milano to Paris.

Now all I need is a cheap hotel... anybody live in Paris and have room for two nice guys apple-maniac?

tritonus
Senior User
Aug 26, 2003, 05:04 AM

It's With Ryanair.com (commercial break) there are not many directions so you would better check on their site to see if switzerland is covered.
I bought yesterday night the tickets (after registering for the keynote for free) at 5 euro (with taxes is 36euro) from Milano to Paris.

Now all I need is a cheap hotel... anybody live in Paris and have room for two nice guys apple-maniac?
Thanks, ryanair.com doesn't cover Switzerland, unfortunately. easyjet.com covers Switzerland, but only for London destinations.

Maybe I'll try the TGV (France's high speed train) with sleeping couch options. I'd probably just go see the day of the keynote anyway.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules