Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Entertainment news: Is there anything more pathetic?

Entertainment news: Is there anything more pathetic?
benb
Sep 15, 2003, 01:37 PM

Really now, why do we care about this crap? Like Affleck Dumps J-Lo.

Anybody else find it a bit sickening that there is enough profit in this to continue? And I don't mean movie news and the like, but the gossip and news about actor's lives. Magazines like People, US, Entertainment Weekly and the rest. Why?

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by benb:

Anybody else find it a bit sickening that there is enough profit in this to continue? And I don't mean movie news and the like, but the gossip and news about actor's lives. Magazines like People, US, Entertainment Weekly and the rest. Why?

My gf watches Entertainment Tonight occasionally and everytime I walk into the room they're doing a stories that have nothing to do with entertainment. It's either the English Royals or OJ, or something of that ilk. It's all personality-driven drivel.

I do like Entertainment Weekly though. Unlike People and US, they actually focus on movies, music, and TV stories. They do run profiles but not in a sensationalistic way the others do.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 01:56 PM

Entertainment Weekly is not like the others; it focuses on real entertainment news, not gossip.

I would very much like it if the editors of all the other entertainment "news" magazines died.

And I would also very much like it if Entertainment Tonight and Access Hollywood went back to covering entertainment news instead of covering the lives of celebrities like they've been doing for the last several years..
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

benb  (op)
Sep 15, 2003, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
I do like Entertainment Weekly though. Unlike People and US, they actually focus on movies, music, and TV stories. They do run profiles but not in a sensationalistic way the others do.
Actually, yea. So scratch EW off that list.

Sosa
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 01:58 PM

I was complaining last night to my girl and her friend, who was sleeping over, about all the time they spend watching junk like who broke up with who. I agree with you is a waste of time. The problem is that lots of things I do are to her a waste of time, like playing computer games and watching endless political talkshows on the same topics (I admit this get boring too).

So basically we do not have a right to critize anyone for their choice of reasonable entertainment as long as it is done with moderation.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2003, 02:05 PM

I am devastated, too. I also just might cry.

I think I'll watch the badger flash animation instead.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 02:05 PM

Some people like going beyond the medium people work in (film, sports, music, books) and learn more about those they enjoy. Some people like reading about "real" people that have more interesting lives than they do (personally, I prefer to read fiction in these cases).

I'll enjoy watching a movie or listening to a CD, but usually I prefer to limit my knowledge of the actors and musicians to what other movies and CDs they have for me to be on the lookout for.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
I would very much like it if the editors of all the other entertainment "news" magazines died.
Ah yes, "shoot the editors" ... when your problem really is that people love to watch and read this stuff. The shows and magazines do what they do because more people watch the show or buy the magazine. It's all about ratings and circulation.

I agree that Entertainment Weekly is very good. And yes, People is basically empty calories, but for what it is, it's actually pretty well-done. And frankly, if I have 10 minutes to wait in the dentist's office I'd rather read People than The Economist.

"Entertainment Tonight" and "Access Hollywood" I just find boring and useless, so I don't watch them.

I save my real wrath for publications like the supermarket tabloids that traffic in lies, distortions and invasion of privacy.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
Ah yes, "shoot the editors" ... when your problem really is that people love to watch and read this stuff. The shows and magazines do what they do because more people watch the show or buy the magazine. It's all about ratings and circulation.
But if we shoot the editors, it would at least temporarily cease publication of said magazines.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by Sosa:
The problem is that lots of things I do are to her a waste of time
I agree with all of your statement. Seriously, guys, while you probably don't care who's dating who, a lot of you care about who's trading who. We all entertain ourselves with usually-useless things that other people hate. If you're not forced to watch or read this news, why do you care that other people do? Because they're not like you?

vod[k]a
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 02:22 PM

Actors don't even have to act anymore to be famous! They just have to go out with other actors. What a life to have!

���������������������
I want you to have my credit card number

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2003, 02:29 PM

"Money can't buy you everything." is the thought that is CONSTANTLY running through my mind when I watch these shows.

It can't buy you intelligence, it can't buy you real friends, it can't buy you a solid relationship, it can't teach you humility etc. etc. etc. Shows like that just underling the fact that wealthy and famous people have it hard because they have all the wealth in the world, but don't have a clue as to how to save it! The ones that do, aren't on these shows.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2003, 02:59 PM

Now you can be famous for being famous.

The entertainment universe teeters on collapsing in on itself if the level of solipsistic narcissism increases.

The irony of "reality tv" or content that focuses on the "real lives" of celebrities is that none of it is real. Their "real lives" are just as managed, packaged and marketed as their products.

In fact, they are products. The new business model is the J-lo, Hillary Duff phenomenon. They are not entertainers, they are brands to be consumed in almost every aspect of everday living by their fans who think they know them and what they're really like.

More and more people can't seem to tell the difference between entertainment and advertising. Entertainment news is a symptom of the disease.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

benb  (op)
Sep 15, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Now you can be famous for being famous.

The entertainment universe teeters on collapsing in on itself if the level of solipsistic narcissism increases.

The irony of "reality tv" or content that focuses on the "real lives" of celebrities is that none of it is real. Their "real lives" are just as managed, packaged and marketed as their products.

In fact, they are products. The new business model is the J-lo, Hillary Duff phenomenon. They are not entertainers, they are brands to be consumed in almost every aspect of everday living by their fans who think they know them and what they're really like.

More and more people can't seem to tell the difference between entertainment and advertising. Entertainment news is a symptom of the disease.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
The new business model is the J-lo, Hillary Duff phenomenon.
<Humbert>But at least Hillary Duff is hot!</Humbert>

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2003, 03:58 PM

Really now, why do we care about this crap?
i know i dont care. although i do care alot about j-lo's big booty

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

awcopus
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 04:47 PM

These two came together to make Gigli.

Gigli, people. Friends of mine who saw it still haven't recovered.

Imagine what their children would have been like?

tee hee hee

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
ROTFL. Oh you literary types!!

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 05:09 PM

Of course, entertainment gossip is only there to give your women something to do because you're not spending nearly enough time "pleasuring" them. Take heed, young Jedi.

Ben Affleck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2003, 05:31 PM

Well what can I say.. I mean I just couldn't handle the pressure anymore. The cameras constantly pointing in our direction. So I told her, "Jen, we have to end this now." "This unwavering attention is going to destroy us both sooner or later." She burst into tears, and I do feel bad about that. I stayed with her for a few hours after that, just talking..About all the good times, you know just trying to focus on the happy memories. Then we both watched our own private copy of "Gigli" and had a good laugh, but I want all of you out there to know that we are parting as friends.

Also what the hell is wrong with the world, I mean what is so great about me? Sure I make a few movies, bag a couple hundred million, but COME ON!! Do I care what you had for breakfast? Do I care where you spend your vacation? How many times do I look in the magazine an see "Ben Afflecks Morning Routine" and every time I do it just makes me want to puke. Oh and as for the "Sexiest Man Alive" award.. you know those scars on my back during the shower scene in "Dare Devil", they're REAL!! Who's a sexy man now?! Huh?

The woman I love is gone forever, and it's all because of the media!!
Bawwww!! Whaaaahaahaa!!! GOD WHY!!!

dillerX
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 05:34 PM

WOOHOO! I still have a chance!

Now, to find J.Lo's number again.....
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

benb  (op)
Sep 15, 2003, 05:58 PM

At least Quagmire has the decency to ask for age first!

Oh Yea!

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 06:15 PM

heh..... I was just bitching about this the other day. I seriouisly don't get entertainment news, and especially the obsession over Ben Affleck and J-lo. Really, WHO CARES??

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 06:17 PM

At least Quagmire has the decency to ask for age first!

Oh Yea!
Giggity-giggity

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2003, 06:18 PM

Apparently, you do; you posted it.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Jansar
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 06:20 PM

Giggity-giggity
Alllll-right.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Ben Affleck: