Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New AlBooks, who is buying one?

View Poll Results: Are you getting one of the new AlBooks?
Poll Options:
Got mine already. Order placed, plastic used... 40 votes (26.32%)
Got mine already, too. Bought it from a store. 4 votes (2.63%)
Will get one of these in the near future. 67 votes (44.08%)
No. Nice upgrade, not for me though. 41 votes (26.97%)
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll
New AlBooks, who is buying one?
docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 10:59 AM

Not only are these machines beautiful AND powerful, they also still have the ~CAD$300 in the education store.
I will be purchasing a beautiful and powerful AlBook 15" 1.25Ghz tonight. Two new switchers will be buying the same one as me. I'm very excited (finally getting rid of my DAG4-733), and I just can't hide it.

Who else is buying one? Share your excitement!!

Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 11:39 AM

Seeing as how I have a 15" 867 MHz model, the upgrade isn't really dramatic enough for me to justify an upgrade yet. Although it's a bit sobering to realize that, with the price drops that are in place, I could get a 1.25 GHz model for less than I paid for what I have now.

My 15" (specs in my signature): $3439 CDN in educational pricing, December 2002

New 1.25 GHz Superdrive model: $3248 CDN in educational pricing

And if I feature-match as closely as possible, that comes down to $2885. A bit disheartening to realize that I paid around $600 more for something which is now seriously outclassed, but I'd rather that technology march on than force people to pay more to assuage my ego!

Besides, it bodes well for when I'm starting to look at the PowerBook G5s that (hopefully) arrive next year.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 11:41 AM

Although I love the new PB lineup and feel they've all received very beneficial feature updates, I'll be keeping my current Rev. A 867Mhz 12" PB for awhile. It does absolutely EVERYTHING I need a portable in college to do right now, thus I have no *need* to update. One or two update cycles after this one, though, I may be looking into a purchase more closely.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

cambro
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 11:42 AM

No way I'm parting with my Ghz Ti until the G5 appears in a PB!!

mattm42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2003, 11:45 AM

I have a quick newb question about the DVI-out on the PowerBooks.

Basically, I'm wondering if the resolution on them can be bumped up to the native 1280x1024 of my LCD monitor, or if it will remain at the 1024 of the 12" and the widescreen 1280 of the 15"? Thanks!!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by mattm42:
I have a quick newb question about the DVI-out on the PowerBooks.

Basically, I'm wondering if the resolution on them can be bumped up to the native 1280x1024 of my LCD monitor, or if it will remain at the 1024 of the 12" and the widescreen 1280 of the 15"? Thanks!!
Nope, the DVI-out can support up to 2048 by 1536 resolution on any LCD/monitor, and this is the same on every new PowerBook.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Cop Rock
Sep 16, 2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by mattm42:
I'm wondering if the resolution on them can be bumped up to the native 1280x1024 of my LCD monitor, or if it will remain at the 1024 of the 12" and the widescreen 1280 of the 15"? Thanks!!
http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

Every model supports "up to 2048 by 1536 pixels on an external display".

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by cambro:
No way I'm parting with my Ghz Ti until the G5 appears in a PB!!
Agreed...that or dual G4s -- either is what I'd wait for (and I've owned all of the last 3 PB revisions!)

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 12:54 PM

Im with Assasyn on this one. The new 12 is not that compelling, and this one does everything i need to do, and its fast. Even if the new one is faster its not worth it. All be waiting at least 3-4 more years.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

wildcard
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 12:59 PM

The new 15" fixes all the things I'm not thrilled about with the current Ti800 I have now (the hinge design, the keyboard, and the constant need to buff keyboard marks off the screen). If I sell the current model, I'll be probably using it to fund a new 15" (though the rev B 12" is tempting)

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 01:09 PM

While the increases are not as dramatic as I had hoped ( was kind of hoping for a 1.2-1.3 G5) it is still a great improvement over the gen1 Ti400 I was using. Placed the order for the 15" SD model through Apple EDU and Edu loan. Sais same day shipping. GOD I hope so. Myabe I will be the recipient of a new PB by Friday. Keeping fingers crossed. I will however have to add AppleCare to it later tonight. In my excitement I hit the submit button without thinking.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 01:15 PM

i have an 800mhz TiBook, and that suits my needs right now. i think i'll be upgrading about a year, year and a half from now - so at that point i'll either be getting a nice G5, or i'll invest in the latest revision of the 15" AlBook.. either way, a very nice upgrade, but i don't think that selling my notebook and paying another grand or so for an aluminum case, backlit keyboard, and some other performance increases. it's all nice, but just not for me right now.

if i had money to burn though - i'd sell my TiBook is a flash and pick up one of those beauties.

Originally posted by docholiday:
Not only are these machines beautiful AND powerful, they also still have the ~CAD$300 in the education store.
I will be purchasing a beautiful and powerful AlBook 15" 1.25Ghz tonight. Two new switchers will be buying the same one as me. I'm very excited (finally getting rid of my DAG4-733), and I just can't hide it.

Who else is buying one? Share your excitement!!

Mr Ti
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 02:34 PM

I remember the times when my 550 combo was cutting edge. I upgraded from a icebook 500 when it broke under warranty.

I have 512mb, and upgraded the HD myself to 60gb a few months ago now. I have a USB bluetooth dongle, but it's all a bit sprawled and messy when setup.

I was looking long and hard at the 1.25ghz 15inch, downgraded to combo. But if I'm honest I really want a G5 powerbook, and if I buy now that's another two years before I would upgrade again.

A little patience over the coming months is all I need

To all who bought, or are buying, I'm sure these machines will be great for many years to come.

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 04:32 PM

As the proud owner of a Rev. A world-first 17-inch PowerBook, I'm not switching to an incremental model.

The Rev. A version will go down in the history books as the world's first 17-inch PowerBook (and laptop, for that matter); Rev. B won't.

In addition, the Rev. A version has an L3 cache; the Rev. B version doesn't.

'nuff said.

DekuDekuplex
( Last edited by DekuDekuplex; Sep 16, 2003 at 04:37 PM. )
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 06:02 PM

the new ones don't have L3 cache? that's surprising if true.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by wtmcgee:
the new ones don't have L3 cache? that's surprising if true.
is true...

anyway.

My 12" Al book is the money, I love it totally. I really wanted a 15" Al book...the backlit keyboard is a nice touch, and i really drool for it, but i can't justify the upgrade...oh ya, and I'm poor.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 07:09 PM

They will have to boost the video cards to the present high end PC laptop level, like 128 MB ATI. I really believe this present revision should have had the 128's inside as an option at least. They would also have to have a speedier serial bus

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/n...8890&SubType=V

before I even think about parting with my big momma 17" which runs cool and quiet and works fine. I could live without the G5 as long as the next upgrade has a 1.5 Ghz CPU. But the upgrades are cool and fun to read about peoples excitement as they look forward to enjoying their new toys. Incidently it has been about 6 months since the first 17" models hit the streets. Just patting myself on the back for making a fairly accurate prediction of when the new revisions would arrive. I also predicted, no doubt along with others on this forum, that upgrades would include all 3 versions of the Powerbook at the same time. I think this trend will continue with 6 month intervals for future upgrades, all at the same time, now that the upgrade revisions are in sync. What do you guys think?
( Last edited by buddy1065; Sep 16, 2003 at 07:48 PM. )

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 07:55 PM

I am going to wait until Panther is released before I get the 15" AlBook (which IMHO is just about the best PowerBook of all time*). It's not that I don't want to spend the extra money if there is a charge for recent PowerBook purchasers, I just don't want to go through the reformatting and setting everything up again when Panther finally does come out. I always install a new release clean and start from scratch and I'd rather do that once within a few months period. Basically, I want it 'born' with Panther.

*I do agree though that Apple should have included a 128MB ATI chip, the 1MB Level 3 Cache, and a tiny increase in the screen resolution. Two button trackpad clicks and a side scroll option (which is SO convenient) - would have also made the a perfect PowerBook for the $$$. I'd also gladly pay more for these OPTIONS which unfortunately don't exist.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 01:21 AM

I'm more than happy with what I have now with the first version of the 17" Powerbook.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

mattcass
Sep 17, 2003, 01:24 AM

I'm gonna be buying a 15'er this week with the ipod cause I can still get the rebate if I can find myself a 15GB model. Only question is whether to get the little 15 or the big 15 powerbook. Quite the price jump. But I really REALLY want that backlit keyboard dammit.

docholiday  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2003, 04:59 AM

Done.. I bought mine.

Two of my friends just switched to mac with the same machine...

-PB 15" 1.25Ghz, 512MB RAM, 5400rpm HD, combo drive
- canon printer (free thru ed)
- iPod 10GB (~CAD100 thru ed)

If I am lucky, I will be able to get two more switchers by the end of next week.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2003, 05:01 AM

Ordered the new 12" PowerBook yesterday right after the show from my local dealer. He claims they should be here within the next two weeks.

I'm happy.

brkn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 10:27 AM

I've been lurking here for a while in the waiting and waiting for new 15"s. I'm going to the apple store in Sydney city tomorrow to hopefully place an order! It'll be my first Mac and I'm sure I'll love every minute of it.

docholiday  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by brkn:
I've been lurking here for a while in the waiting and waiting for new 15"s. I'm going to the apple store in Sydney city tomorrow to hopefully place an order! It'll be my first Mac and I'm sure I'll love every minute of it.
Welcome to the forums!
Congrats on your decision... you're gonna love this thing.

Which one of 15s are ya considering btw?

docholiday  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2003, 10:45 AM

double post.. my bad
( Last edited by docholiday; Sep 17, 2003 at 04:39 PM. )

brkn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 10:48 AM

Thanks
We have some dual G4s at my university (I study design) and I've fallen in love with them!

I'm looking at the superdrive model. I think I can get it quite cheaply through my father's company (salary sacrifice tax stuff), so I can afford to invest a bit for the future. Hope to spend some more time in here once I've got it all going, though I'm not sure what the stock levels down here in .au are like for the 15"s - may take a while.

retep
Sep 17, 2003, 11:39 AM

Sold my Pismo and Ti400 to fund a new PB and have been Powerbookless since April waitning for the updates and reading every rumor on the web. I very nearly caved in and got a 12" but am glad that I waited.

Now the only problem is whether to get a Rev.B 12" or the 15" Albook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules