Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered DP 1.25GHJZ G4 Need info

Ordered DP 1.25GHJZ G4 Need info
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 01:57 AM

Ok so I ordered a G4 DP 1.25GHZ (see sig.) 2 1/2 weeks ago.

I am wondering for people who ordered the current config, are there any quirks, or things that I should know about? I heard something about the Radeon 9000 might have problems?

Also does the software restore CD's come on DVD or CD's?

Is iDVD on a separate DVD so I don't have to restore it to get it when I format for Panther?

What software other then the OS and iApps (Stuff from Apple) comes with it?

Which OS does it boot into on first boot (I heard OS 9 WTF)?

Anything else you can tell me about it?

The last Mac I got was my Beige G3 on June 4, 1998. and the most current Mac I have used is an iMac DV SE 1999 400mhz.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 02:12 AM

No quirks at all man, escp. NOT w/ the Radeon 9000...very well implemented drivers, no issues there.

ALL restore info. is on a single DVD...OS 9, OS X, and ALL included Apps.

All iApps come...iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, and a bunch of little things like Adobe Acrobate Reader, StuffIt Express, Art Directors Toolkit, DVD player, etc. Also comes w/ all the Utilities like AirPort Admin.

Boots into OS X first.

Anything else? Enjoy it, it rules
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
No quirks at all man, escp. NOT w/ the Radeon 9000...very well implemented drivers, no issues there.

ALL restore info. is on a single DVD...OS 9, OS X, and ALL included Apps.

All iApps come...iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, and a bunch of little things like Adobe Acrobate Reader, StuffIt Express, Art Directors Toolkit, DVD player, etc. Also comes w/ all the Utilities like AirPort Admin.

Boots into OS X first.

Anything else? Enjoy it, it rules
Good One Restore DVD, the bad now I can't custom install OS 9.2.2 so I can add stuff or take out stuff.

what none Jaguar stuff comes with it? I heard OmniGraph or something? can you list all the apps that aren't included with Jaguar, or via software update? Basically third party stuff.

How fast is OS 9? Hey I want to play some classic games (Carmageddon I/II)

I heard the Radeon 9000 had a sleep bug so that's what I was referring to.

Any idea's for a good Mic iVoice is $70 in Canada. I love my plain talk small sits on my monitor etc.

As of Thursday it was being assembled. so it might ship Monday morning. I will have the store I ordered it from call to get an update. I need it TODAY.

The virus on my Beige G3 is spreading fast and taking my files with it, Oh and my CDRW isn't working so no backup. It isn't working cause of the virus. The virus is called Corruption. I added a slave drive in May and it slowly caused corruption. Now it's serious.

A friend used his DW 2.1.2 on it and it came back afterwards. am now at 4% folders out of order.

How easy is the HD installation? I hear you have to pull a tab to dismount the cage.

Can the ATA66 bus support HD's over 138GB?

Tell me of your experience with it. I think the waiting anticipation is finally setting in.
--Stephen King

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 02:53 AM

OmniGraph comes with it...check out Apple's own page at www.apple.com/g4 for details on exactly what software is included.

OS 9 is really fast, I use it to play Quake III and Unreal Tournament.

No ideas on the sleep bug, of course, I don't personally own the card.

Maybe the iMic (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/) to connect your Microphone? No idea on the software though.

HD installation is a breeze, instructions included w/ the Mac...and yes on the over 138GBs.

It's just a complete blast to use...so hard to capture with words...the wait will be WELL worth it
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
OmniGraph comes with it...check out Apple's own page at www.apple.com/g4 for details on exactly what software is included.

OS 9 is really fast, I use it to play Quake III and Unreal Tournament.

No ideas on the sleep bug, of course, I don't personally own the card.

Maybe the iMic (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/) to connect your Microphone? No idea on the software though.

HD installation is a breeze, instructions included w/ the Mac...and yes on the over 138GBs.

It's just a complete blast to use...so hard to capture with words...the wait will be WELL worth it
The iMac is useless. since all it is is Line in/out jacks.

What's boot time like? how fast is OS X?

Right now I am writing up a tribut to my Beige G3. Hopefully my new Mac will be here by end of week (I am told on or before 9/26) and apid $60 for overnight shipping.
--Stephen King

BJNY
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 07:05 AM

What about getting the 1.25GHz single, then getting a third party Dual 1.6GHz 7457 upgrade?

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by BJNY:
What about getting the 1.25GHz single, then getting a third party Dual 1.6GHz 7457 upgrade?
uh lets see reliability, warranty, did I mention reliability?

I am not going to buy a brand new G4 just to put a CPU upgrade in it.

I am never doing CPU upgrades again. and I won't have to.
--Stephen King

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 02:56 PM

Hi!

I have the single CPU version and no problems with the Radeon. Sleeps and wakes without problems.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Taipan:
Hi!

I have the single CPU version and no problems with the Radeon. Sleeps and wakes without problems.
Good.

How fast is it? I am on a Beige so I am used to slow. App launching, but that really doesn't matte.

How fast are menu's? it takes .5 seconds to fade in/out etc. Dialogues take 3-5 seconds to launch etc. I am so used to 266mhz speed ( don't really notice a difference on my mom's iMac 400mhz other then in QT playback).

I am trying to get a feel for how much faster my new G4 will be.
--Stephen King

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 09:50 AM

Hi!

I'm pretty satisfied with the speed. The fastest machine I had before was a Umax S900 with a 440 MHz G3 and an ATI Radeon, and the MDD is a lot faster in every respect. Menus open instantly, most apps open in a single bounce (at least iApps sized ones, Photoshop 7 takes three bounces). Scrolling in Safari works smoothly, without the hickups I had before. And this is on a single CPU machine, yours will be faster, still. I bet you'll be satisfed with the improvement.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 10:08 AM

Hey, I have a OWC 1.467 GHz (1.5 GHz) G4 with 2 MB DDR L3 cache processor upgrade for my Quicksilver, and there is no problem whatsoever, been having it run for days without sleeping and no heat or reliability issues. Comes with a great warrenty, and OWC customer support is great. Also, did I mention this thing is FAST?!

Agent69
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 10:33 AM

"Can the ATA66 bus support HD's over 138GB?"

The G4 comes with both a ATA/100 and a ATA/66 bus. The way that I understand it is that Apple attaches optical drives (Combo/Superdrive) to the ATA/66 bus and hard disks to the ATA/100 bus.

You can CTO the G4 Powermac with a 160GB hard disk, so the ATA/100 bus supports at least that.
Agent69

hotani
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 01:58 PM

some of the later model G4s (mirrored double doors or MDDs) have been known to be a bit noisy. Apple issued something like a recall by sending people new fans for the loud machines which included a new power supply and cpu fan.

I am satisfied with the replacement power supply, but am currently looking for another cpu fan since the new one is still too loud. Fortunately they are only about $15 and 15 minutes to install. I just need to find the right one - quietest with the right connector.

You may have no problems at all with this (some are quieter than others), or you may not be bothered by the noise. just something to keep in mind.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Agent69:
"The G4 comes with both a ATA/100 and a ATA/66 bus. The way that I understand it is that Apple attaches optical drives (Combo/Superdrive) to the ATA/66 bus and hard disks to the ATA/100 bus.
Hi!

Actually, there are three buses, at least in the MDD models. ATA/100 and ATA/66 for hard disks and another one for optical drives (I think it's ATA/33 or less, not sure).
I have read that even the ATA/66 bus supports > 128GB, but I don't remember where it was, so I'm not sure if it's true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules