Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther and dual boot in OS9

Panther and dual boot in OS9
Xerxes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 08:00 AM

Does anyone know if Panther is dual boot in OS9 ??

Thanks,

X

jman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 10:03 AM

why do you still want os9

3 versions of OSX and you still want os9???

I know that dual booting in 10.2 screwed up two machines at work and needed reinstalls.

I'm afraid to dual boot my machine with 10.3 and i hope some has the balls to do it.

winwintoo
Oct 9, 2003, 10:19 AM

I asked this the other day and was told that Panther is no longer dual boot, but that Classic is still part of the OS so most OS 9 apps should still run.

I have come across a few that won't work in Classic and I have a flash card reader that won't work in Classic.

Some of us spent good money on software that is still usable, but won't run on OS X and doesn't play nice in Classic, that's why we're interested.

Anyone who thinks we're dumb for asking, can send us lots of money and we'll upgrade all our software to bring it up to YOUR standards.

m

barbarian
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 11:28 AM

If your machine can boot OS 9 you should be able to boot OS 9 even with Panther installed. On my two machines that boot 9, I can switch back and forth without a problem... I have OS 9 on a sep. parttion though, don't know if that's a factor.

As to why anyone would want to boot OS 9...

-My G5 can't boot OS 9 and even if it did I would never need to... the G5 is plenty speedy.

-On my G4 I boot 9 often when I have the need for speed. 9 on the G4 is super fast and smooth... more so than even panther. This might be a special case though because my video card is accelerated under 9 and not under X.

-On my G3 I often boot into 9 for speed, but I mainly do it for the disk utils. I often will check my OS X disk from 9 for errors...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2003, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by winwintoo:
I asked this the other day and was told that Panther is no longer dual boot, but that Classic is still part of the OS so most OS 9 apps should still run.
I'm sorry, but that's incorrect - the first part, that is.

Dual-boot capability is a feature of the COMPUTER, not the OS. (Logical, really, since the whole point of dual-booting is *independence* from a single OS.) You can boot either Panther or OS 9 on any computer that will support both OSes. The titanium Powerbooks were the last Apple computers to support booting into OS 9; none of the currently shipping iBooks, Aluminum Powerbooks, PowerMac G5s, iMacs, or eMacs will boot into OS 9.

However: As you correctly state, OS 9 is still available as part of OS X (where it's called the "Classic" environment) should you need it.

-s*

winwintoo
Oct 9, 2003, 11:52 AM

Thanks for clearing that up.

So when I upgraded to Jag on my laptop, why did I have to make sure I had the latest version of OS 9 installed on the same machine??

Thanks, m

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2003, 02:55 PM

Dual-boot is a misnomer. How about multi-boot?

If you have 10 partitions, you can have 10 OSX systems. Boot to whatever one. the real question is can you have Panther on one, Jaguar on another, OS9, Puma, Cheetah, etc.

I would think so, but I heard Panther doesn't like booting back into Jaguar because of some bizarre issue.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2003, 03:43 PM

The titanium Powerbooks were the last Apple computers to support booting into OS 9; none of the currently shipping iBooks, Aluminum Powerbooks, PowerMac G5s, iMacs, or eMacs will boot into OS 9.
Actually you can still by the G4 that boots OS9 from the Apple Store.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Forum Links
Forum Rules