Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > where is drand48() ???

where is drand48() ???
GeneShifter
Oct 10, 2003, 09:47 AM

Hi all:

need some help with finding drand48() random number generator. It seems that this may not be a part of the stdlib. Is this right? What can I do to use it if it's not a part of the library? Can you download it some how? Thanks.
Doing my part to make MS obsolete. Oh, and the Iraq war is a bogus war.

GeneShifter  (op)
Oct 10, 2003, 10:48 AM

Nevermind. Apple put it into the stdlib library as of Jaguar. That's what I get for not upgrading from 10.1.5

apple tech notes
( Last edited by GeneShifter; Oct 10, 2003 at 10:59 AM. )

yeslekmc
Oct 10, 2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by GeneShifter:
That's what I get for not upgrading from 10.1.5
Hey, you're not alone. I never upgraded from 10.1.5 either. But I do plan on upgarding to 10.3 soon. I've already upgraded the video on my AGP400/Sawtooth to an ATI Radeon 32MB card, now I'm getting ready to add a 1Ghz GigaDesigns upgrade card. That'll tide me over for another year, and then I'll most likely purchase a new G5 when they are well into a 2nd (or 3rd?) generation.

I'm NOT going the G5 route just yet, I still feel burned purchasing my AGP400 when I did. I purchased it at the time thinking that Mac OS X was going to be released soon afterward, but I became a little disgruntled when it failed to show and then had to wait yet another year for Mac OS X to make an appearance. To make matters worse I felt slighted when I, being an early adopter, discovered that Mac OS X 10.0 ran like a drunken retarded snail on my AGP400. The performance is better with 10.1.5, but it's still crappy compared to the speed of 9.2 running on the same machine!

I'm looking forward to 10.3, hopefully between that and a new 1Ghz upgrade card my machine will finally feel snappier than it currently does running 9.2 at 400Mhz. I hope.

Later!

GeneShifter  (op)
Oct 10, 2003, 02:27 PM

I hear you. I'm going to upgrade to Panther as soon as I upgrade my card. Right now, I have the stock Rage128. I just got so busy with school, I didn't have time to fool around with it. I'm also looking forward to X11 by Apple! I'm kind of tired of using the XDarwin. Maybe Apple's X windowing system will be a little snappier.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 06:29 AM

I can attest to the fact that 10.3, specifically, is very fast on an AGP Sawtooth 400, specifically, upgraded with a Gigadesigns 1GHz CPU and a 32 MB Radeon card specifically.

..and why you have /exactly the same/ setup as me I will never know. A cosmic joke? The resemblance would be a lot closer, though if you have 448 MB of RAM exactly...
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

yeslekmc
Oct 11, 2003, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
I can attest to the fact that 10.3, specifically, is very fast on an AGP Sawtooth 400, specifically, upgraded with a Gigadesigns 1GHz CPU and a 32 MB Radeon card specifically.

..and why you have /exactly the same/ setup as me I will never know. A cosmic joke? The resemblance would be a lot closer, though if you have 448 MB of RAM exactly...
Hehe... Why I *DO* have 448MB of RAM. I started off with the original 64MB (factory) and added an additional 128MB right off the bat. There for a while I thought I was styling with 192. But then about two summers ago RAM prices plummetted I bought 2-256MB PC-133 sticks (at only 14.95 a piece from TigerDirect) and I had a whopping 704MB of RAM. Although, last summer I took out one of the 256MB sticks and stuck it in a PC, thus leaving me with 64+128+256 = 448. Hehe.

Currently, I have a 10MB (factory) and 40MB HD in the machine, both are 7200 RPM drives... And I hated the original keyboard and puck mouse, so I replaced those with a MacAlly graphite keyboard and a Logitech optical two button scroll mouse. Ditto???

Later!

Forum Links
Forum Rules