Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone with a 12" Rev B using Final Cut?

Anyone with a 12" Rev B using Final Cut?
bradr
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2003, 09:08 AM

I am stuck between the 12" and 15" PowerBooks. Darn Apple for making their specs so close. Screen size aside, anyone using FCP and or DVD Studio Pro on a 12" Rev B? If so, how well does it work? I'm making the assumption that both apps will run great on the 15". Any feed back would be helpful.

Thanks!

ujeni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 09:46 AM

I created a film and a full featured DVD for BBC International over the summer on a rev A 12" powerbook with no problems. Editing, compositing, design, 3d, audio word and dvd creation went smoothly.

I now have a rev B and it is even better. A bigger screen is certainly nice, but lets not forget that before the bigger screens came out, 1024x768 served us just fine. It still can.

bradr  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2003, 10:25 AM

Cool. What was the film?

ujeni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 11:27 AM

It was a film about Malawi (central Africa) and it's tobacco industry. Malawi is a very large exporter of tobacco to Phillip Morris (aka Altria) yet despite a huge and very profitable tobacco industry, Malawi continues to be one the poorest nations on Earth. The film attempted to look into this issue and answer the basic question: Who benefits from tobacco cultivation and production in Malawi? The film's title was "Up in Smoke." It aired in june of this year as part of the LIFE series on BBC International Television.

Here it is:

http://www.tve.org/lifeonline/index.cfm?aid=1228

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2003, 12:52 PM

[QUOTE] The film's title was "Up in Smoke." [QUOTE]

Do Cheech and Chong know you stole the title to one of their films?
( Last edited by Kenstee; Oct 15, 2003 at 01:04 PM. )

ujeni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 01:06 PM

yes

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2003, 01:27 PM

Some people really prefer the 15 and find it just the right size. They find the 12 way to small for their tastes. But if you are even considering the 12, I would reccomend it.

The 15 was just too big for me. Far as performance, I really don't see that you will see that much difference between the 2.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2003, 03:22 PM

But if you are even considering the 12, I would reccomend it. The 15 was just too big for me. Far as performance, I really don't see that you will see that much difference between the 2.
Well, there is a difference. Check out

http://www.macworld.com/2003/10/rev...bookbenchmarks/

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2003, 06:31 PM

here's my advice, i used a 12 for the first time (since i got my 15) this weekend. My brother got the 12, so this weekend i got to compare them hands on. If i had any real work to do , I would choose the 15, its better for viewing things on the screen *so much more room!!, also the display was not as nice as mine (not sure why, but i do believe everyone who says this now) and the 15 is not much heavier, it is however a nicer "size" to work on, the 12 felt small, leaving my wrists less room to rest on. I loved the 12 but i love the 15 better.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

Forum Links
Forum Rules