Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > migrating software to G5 Dual -serials missing

migrating software to G5 Dual -serials missing
EH21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 06:59 PM

First off let me thank all who recommended the hardrive from newegg.com and memory from Crucial. I got my new G5 dual yesterday and installed the 250gb drive and 2gb memory from Crucial.

Now I'm moving all my programs using connect to computer over the home network and I just dragged the applications over from the G4 along with the preference files. But a lot of them didn't keep the serial registration and are asking me for the serials so of which I can't find and didn't write down. Anybody out there have any suggestions?

Thanks much,
Eric
http://www.EH21.com

mac freak
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 07:17 PM

Call the companies and somehow prove that you own the software, then ask for new serials?

Or were you thinking of just getting them illegally...?
Be happy.

EH21  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 09:46 PM

Actually I did buy the stuff. I ended up reinstalling photoshop from the CD but a lot of them I bought online. It's a pain to write the companies but that's what I will do. Just thought there was an easy way and one that will let me start working now.
http://www.EH21.com

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by EH21:
Actually I did buy the stuff. I ended up reinstalling photoshop from the CD but a lot of them I bought online. It's a pain to write the companies but that's what I will do. Just thought there was an easy way and one that will let me start working now.
If you did buy them online; you should have saved the emails with serial #s from the companies/digital river. QuarkX 6 is a real pain, BTW.
"Sometimes you're the bug....Sometimes the windshield"

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 11:39 AM

Why don't you...

Boot from the software restore DVD and using disk utility, create at least two partitions on your G5's hard disk (this will erase your hard disk!).

Proceed to reinstall 10.2.7

Boot your G5 into your just completed installation of 10.2.7, download 'carbon copy cloner' and use it to clone your G4 installation of OS X to an empty partition on your G5.

Once completed, boot from your G5's software restore DVD and choose the 'install and archive' option to upgrade your G4 installation to 10.2.7

Boot your computer from the upgraded OS X partition and voila! Your programs, user accounts and settings work just as they did on your G4, only faster!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2003, 03:38 PM

I am not responsible for anyone using this program in an illegal manner.

http://www.silter.org/

(very slow d/l btw, its normal)

[xeo: we don't trade info like that here. don't do it again]
( Last edited by Xeo; Oct 18, 2003 at 02:57 PM. )

ourisman
Oct 16, 2003, 07:39 PM

You might try copying the Preference files from your G4's system over to your G5's system. Those files should contain the serial numbers for your installed software.

Jeebs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2003, 08:49 PM

For Adobe applications, you can copy these files over:

[hard drive]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Registration Database

[home]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Registration Database

laurenr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 02:50 PM

Transferring Serials - I totally agree with Jeebs - when I transferred my User Data to my G5, the only thing I transported from the Library were the various Preferences/Application Support files for the apps I could not reinstall from CD. Serial #'s remained intact - even Offic X.

Forum Links
Forum Rules