Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New UI Items in Panther 10.3.1?

New UI Items in Panther 10.3.1?
clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 02:23 PM

Saw the following at AppleInsider. Yeah, yeah I know. Rumor sites are more often wrong than right. Still it is interesting.

http://www.appleinsider.com/news/

"Additionally, its been rumored that Apple may have pulled the plug on a number of last minute additions to the OS, including some eye-candy features. These features, and others, are said to arrive via a Panther update in the coming months. Currently, the Mac OS X update team is said to be rapidly developing the first update to Panther, Mac OS X 10.3.1. Apple will be using the feedback generated on Mac OS X 10.3 build 7B85 from its AppleSeed and ADC programs as a basis for the release, sources said.

Mac OS X 10.3.1 aims to clean up any loose ends discovered in Mac OS X 10.3 and should begin testing shortly after Mac OS X 10.3 is officially unrolled at the end of the week."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2003, 04:18 PM

I don't think you will see one day one, but that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if one came out on the 31st or so...

They would probably hold off on releasing a 10.3.1 update until they knew 10.3.0 didn't have any major issues.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2003, 04:39 PM

I can't help but wonder if this "rumor/news" came about due to the 10.3 PR images on Apple's site differing from GM...hmmm....

quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 05:36 PM

It's kind of funny, but this article reads a little like:

"There are a number of features that Apple will include in a future upgrade to the OS".

Which is kind of a no brainer, don't you think?

SomeToast
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 05:51 PM

One AppleInsider reader, running a Dual 500MHz G4 with 1.5GBs of RAM, claims that fast user switching requires almost a minutes wait. Emptying half a gigabyte of files from the trash on the same machine was said to take nearly 5 minutes.

"This isn't quite ready for prime time," exclaims the user. "Wasn't this supposed to be faster?"
One AppleInsider reader is having problems emptying the trash?

Well, that tears it. 10.3 is crap.

bluesloth
Oct 21, 2003, 07:02 PM

There were a few features that had placeholders in the developer release that didn't make it to the later builds. (this is from what people have talked about, I haven't had any builds)

The feature I was really looking forward to was built in OCR (optical character recognition).

Hopefully they make this part of an update, but I doubt they will.

Footy
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 07:15 PM

Seems to be a few Negative Nelly's over there. I hope I don't experience the slowness they're complaining about. Still, I can't wait to load it up.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by bluesloth:
There were a few features that had placeholders in the developer release that didn't make it to the later builds. (this is from what people have talked about, I haven't had any builds)

The feature I was really looking forward to was built in OCR (optical character recognition).

Hopefully they make this part of an update, but I doubt they will.

This will never happen.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 21, 2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
This will never happen.
Oh moonmonkey, you are so wise and clairvoyant.

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Oct 21, 2003, 10:35 PM

I hear it's snappy.

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 01:54 AM

More eye candy? Great! I welcome anything that will make my Panther look even better than before. But I have to get my copy of Panther shipped to me first! They better ship it on Wednesday so it'll be here on Friday.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 08:16 AM

I told you guys that 10.3.1 would come out quickly. It really is irrelevant how long it is before the first x.x.1 update anyway. All Apple cares about is getting your $129 for Panther. It obviously has to work it's way to 10.4 (due next year) regardless.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2003, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Oh moonmonkey, you are so wise and clairvoyant.
It is theoretically possible.

It has been a long time since Apple has included a major new feature -as built-in OCR would certainly be- in a free update. The last time was Mac OS 8.1, which was the first release to feature HFS+.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:

It has been a long time since Apple has included a major new feature -as built-in OCR would certainly be- in a free update. The last time was Mac OS 8.1, which was the first release to feature HFS+.
Well, you can call that a feature, or you can call it an act of appeasement to calm users who had been complaining about the limitations of HFS for a while.

I'm pretty sure HFS+ had been slated for the 8.0 release but didn't make it in for whatever reason, but that was in the previous century, so my memory could be faulty.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 22, 2003, 09:43 AM

It's theoretically possible for sure. But 'impossible' is a strong word...I wouldn't count it out just yet.

A major feature (at least to me) included recently in a point release was force feedback support for HID devices as well as wheel support (although wheel support was nixed in 10.2.8 ).

Moose
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 09:52 AM

Some people might consider journaling (out in a Jag SWU) to be a "major new feature."

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
It's theoretically possible for sure. But 'impossible' is a strong word...I wouldn't count it out just yet.

A major feature (at least to me) included recently in a point release was force feedback support for HID devices as well as wheel support (although wheel support was nixed in 10.2.8 ).
Wheel Support??

USB FFB Steering wheels work fine in 10.2.3 and above. Unless I am reading you wrong.

Edd

clarkgoble  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 03:04 PM

I'd heard they were having problem with their OCR package. I actually tried calling them to offer them our package at a very reasonable fee, but was never actually able to talk to anyone significant. C'est la vie I guess.

Forum Links
Forum Rules