Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther: Apps. Unexpectedly quit too often!

Panther: Apps. Unexpectedly quit too often!
Lyra
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 03:19 AM

Hi

So, I installed Panther, it runs really fast everything is super on it, but my Apps. Unexpectedly quit way too often!

I mean simple apps. like Safari, Mail, Entourage, more or less all the software I use has quit on me in the past two days... Can any one tell me why?

I mean people say it is more solid then Jaguar... How can that be when this nearly never happened on Jag.

It was installed on a G5, did a clean install after I erased my HD...

Serious glitch... And not very good if I work in FCP 4 and it quits... Too much work went into my project and it was not saved... Stuff like that makes me angry... So I need to fix this as soon as possible...

So does any one have the same problems?

I am using B85 and the ADC member version. Is there any difference in the disc that I will be getting tomorrow as an up-to-date program? Those discs are the same as the ADC discs right?
( Last edited by Lyra; Oct 22, 2003 at 04:05 AM. )
�For I gazed into the future, far as human eyes could see,
saw the vision of the
world , and all the wonders that would be.�

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2003, 03:37 AM

edit: ooops....wrong thread
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2003, 04:50 AM

Am i the only one that doesn't have Panther here? I can't even buy it yet so how the hell does everyone here get it from? I find it hard to believe most ppl are developers here

Lyra  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Targon:
Am i the only one that doesn't have Panther here? I can't even buy it yet so how the hell does everyone here get it from? I find it hard to believe most ppl are developers here
UP-TO-DATE PROGRAM!!!!! (G5)

ALSO ADC!! (MEMBER)

Once again this place never answers my questions...

saw the vision of the

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 10:38 AM

Do you have anything installed like APE? That can jack with your system sometimes. Also, Safari was quitting on me a LOT, until I realized it was PithHelmet. I threw it out and Safari works fine again.

cowerd
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 10:38 AM

And not very good if I work in FCP 4 and it quits
If you're using FCP4 for production I hope you haven't upgraded. Apple hasn't qualified FCP4 with Quicktime 6.4.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

Lyra  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by cowerd:
If you're using FCP4 for production I hope you haven't upgraded. Apple hasn't qualified FCP4 with Quicktime 6.4.
WHAT!?!?!?!?
AGAIN!!!! Wow, good thing I did not get that far in my updates... One should think that the FCP people are working on another planet that is why they never get along with QT...

By the way thanks for your replies guys... I appreciate it...

So does it hold any water to the story about two versions of Panther B85? I mean I have them both, could this be the reason why I am having problems?

I have F10 Launch installed by the way and Stuffit which added a Stuffit AVR something or other in my pref. pane. So, xi_hyperon, that is all I have at the moment installed...

saw the vision of the

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 01:19 PM

Like xi_hyperon, I had third party trouble.

I installed Default Folder, and immediately after turning it on, all my apps quit and the finder went into a relaunch loop.

Good thing I had a secondary user for myself; just a fast user switch and death to the default folder app from Activity Monitor

After a restart, same prob, so no DF for me for awhile. I've heard it works for others, though.

J

Sven G
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Lyra:
[...]and Stuffit which added a Stuffit AVR something or other in my pref. pane.
Well, not sure if this is the problem, but the StuffIt Archive Via Rename kernel extension isn't exactly trouble-free, according to themselves...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

PBG4 User
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 01:53 PM

[snip]
So does it hold any water to the story about two versions of Panther B85? I mean I have them both, could this be the reason why I am having problems?

I have F10 Launch installed by the way and Stuffit which added a Stuffit AVR something or other in my pref. pane. So, xi_hyperon, that is all I have at the moment installed...

Yea, the 7B85 in the box has all the debug code removed

Try removing F10 launch / Stuffit and see what happens.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 02:00 PM

If someone mentions "debug code" being removed in OS X, even as a joke, I will shoot myself.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 02:02 PM

I have been running F10 without any problems on two of my Macs. I have not had any instability. My first thought would be to question the quality of RAM installed. If it is Apple's RAM, try removing some and see if the problems persists.
Try another user account, although I doubt that will yield anything but the same results.
Mail and Safari have been great except this page will make Safari crash after displaying an animation and using the back command.
Entourage has been extremely onerous with it crashing on other users here on Jag. I quit using it over a year ago.

cowerd
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 02:10 PM

WHAT!?!?!?!?
AGAIN!!!! Wow, good thing I did not get that far in my updates... One should think that the FCP people are working on another planet that is why they never get along with QT...
This is actually very common for apps that depend heavily on system frameworks. QT group has a much large agenda than just FCP.

I know people that have production systems running Quark 3 and OS8 because it works. On the windows side there a thousands of NT machines still in operation because whatever issues or problems they have are a known quantity. If you have due dates don't upgrade. Its ALWAYS been this way.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

Lyra  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 03:08 PM

Thanks to all who answered my post, also it helped a lot to hear what people say about this, I know some of us has ADC and up-to date versions of Panther and we are few. But that also means we have been using it a bit longer and have run into a little trouble here and there.

It is nice to hear that people help..

As for the debug thing, I have no idea what it does and if they have removed it in the final edition... What ever the case, I am installing the up to date version tomorrow...

Thanks all..

saw the vision of the

dspaude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by cowerd:
QT 6.4 WAS qualified for FCP 4.0.2 at this link:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/system_req.html

It said it was qualified for FCP 4.0.2 and DVD Studio Pro 1.5.1 and newer. I guess now that the feedback has been coming in regarding LiveType output causing FCP 4 to spin the wheel they have now changed their mind.

torifile
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 06:35 PM

There is only ONE build called 7B85. THERE IS NO DEBUG CODE THAT IS REMOVED IN THE FINAL VERSION. 7B85 IS THE FINAL VERSION.

Sorry for shouting.

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 08:31 PM

How did you install? Clean, Archive or Update?

Do a clean install if that is an option, or otherwise an Archive install (you'll have to reset all the global prefs, except for network settings - all user prefs and network prefs will be preserved).

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2003, 03:07 AM

torifile I dont mean to challenge your knowledge but who has confirmed that 7b85 is the final shipping version.

Last I heard people were speculating but no one was 100% cause no one had a boxed version yet.

Like I said I dont read all the threads so I could have missed something
Force

Busemann
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 08:11 AM

Anyone seen this bug where the dock rolllover text and menus don't respond? Contextual menus stop to highlight and is "un-clickable". Also expos� gets invoked by any mouse click, not just with button 4 & 5.. Only seems to happen when more than one user is concurrently logged in, however

To me it seems the windowserver is the buggiest aspect of 10.3 so far..

Moose
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by forcelite:
torifile I dont mean to challenge your knowledge but who has confirmed that 7b85 is the final shipping version.

Last I heard people were speculating but no one was 100% cause no one had a boxed version yet.

Like I said I dont read all the threads so I could have missed something
I don't mean to call you a thick-headed doubter, but why can't you let this go?

You don't have to have a boxed version of Panther to be 100% sure that 7B85 is what is in boxes.

You did miss something. 7B85 leaked from Apple. 7B85 appeared on ADC's seeding servers. 7B85 is in the boxes that you will be able to buy in a store Friday night--the same boxes that have already started shipping to people who bought it online. 7B85 will be shipped to developers on CD--probably as part of the November mailing.

These are all the same 7B85.

The burden of proof is on the doubters to prove us wrong.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Moose:
I don't mean to call you a thick-headed doubter, but why can't you let this go?

You don't have to have a boxed version of Panther to be 100% sure that 7B85 is what is in boxes.
A guy actually received a boxed Panther. The pictured were here:

http://homepage.mac.com/trilby/PhotoAlbum11.html

We all saw them before Apple asked him to remove them. He said that the build was 7B85. Case closed.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

pete
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 12:05 PM

I was wondering if we can get back on track with the original topic about applications unexpectedly quitting in 7B85? I, too, have encountered these in safari, mail, ichat. For example, in mail when I want to redirect a message to a folder using the contextual menu, it always crashes. In ichat, when I choose 'get info' in the contextual menu, the address book entry of the buddy appears and then crashes. In safari I haven't been able to discern a pattern yet, but it crashes randomly. I erased my HD before installing panther.

Any ideas?

Lyra  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by pete:
I was wondering if we can get back on track with the original topic about applications unexpectedly quitting in 7B85? I, too, have encountered these in safari, mail, ichat. For example, in mail when I want to redirect a message to a folder using the contextual menu, it always crashes. In ichat, when I choose 'get info' in the contextual menu, the address book entry of the buddy appears and then crashes. In safari I haven't been able to discern a pattern yet, but it crashes randomly. I erased my HD before installing panther.

Any ideas?
Hi Pete...

Sorry to say this but FINALLY!!!

Someone with the same problem, was hoping you had a solution, but it seems you are on the same end of the boat...

So did you erase your entire HD and started anew? And even then the problems were there?

It is as you say, random, I had no idea what is causing this... Worst, I am not safe working in panther at the moment...

Did we miss something in the installer?

saw the vision of the

mikemako
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
Anyone seen this bug where the dock rolllover text and menus don't respond? Contextual menus stop to highlight and is "un-clickable". Also expos� gets invoked by any mouse click, not just with button 4 & 5.. Only seems to happen when more than one user is concurrently logged in, however

To me it seems the windowserver is the buggiest aspect of 10.3 so far..
YES.. I've had this exact problem.. I also mentioned it on another thread. It happened after I had "fast user switched".. It was terrible! It only seemed to happen on the Powermac when I left Safari open & iTunes running when I switched. It doesn't happen on my iBook.

Did your happen when you were using the fast user switching?
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Busemann
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by mikemako:
YES.. I've had this exact problem.. I also mentioned it on another thread. It happened after I had "fast user switched".. It was terrible! It only seemed to happen on the Powermac when I left Safari open & iTunes running when I switched. It doesn't happen on my iBook.

Did your happen when you were using the fast user switching?
Yes it only happens after switching users. The only cure seems to be to force quit the windowserver from process monitor, but that causes every user to be logged out

Lets hope this gets fixed in 10.3.1

Forum Links
Forum Rules