Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > How can I get Classic so I can install OS 9 Games?

How can I get Classic so I can install OS 9 Games?
eightoeight
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 09:02 PM

I have a 15" AL PowerBook and I don't have OS 9 so I can't install old games : |

Thanks.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 10:47 PM

Classic isn't installed by default? That's odd. Try digging around on your included disks to see if there's a classic install disk. My guess is that there'd be something on the main restore disk.

lenox
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 01:32 PM

Yeah, the system restore discs usually contain os 9 if your computer came with it.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2003, 02:11 PM

If Classic is not there, insert your System Restore DVD that shipped with the Powerbook, and launch the System Restore option. This puts a System Restore icon into your Utilities folder, that when run will them allow you to restore Classic, Quickbooks, the Developer Tools for 10.2, and the other programs the Powerbook shipped with.

And yes, it also work on Panther. Just don't install the developer tools, and instead use the XCode cd that came with your Panther cd set.
<This space under renovation>

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Oct 23, 2003, 02:58 PM

i downloaded some older games this week. after unzipping them the classic environment started all by itself and i could jump right into playing.
one game crashed my machine though.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Daytonaaaaa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by Drakino:
If Classic is not there, insert your System Restore DVD that shipped with the Powerbook, and launch the System Restore option. This puts a System Restore icon into your Utilities folder, that when run will them allow you to restore Classic, Quickbooks, the Developer Tools for 10.2, and the other programs the Powerbook shipped with.
One question:
The software restore seems to only restore the software to the system partition. What if I want to put classic on another partition? Can I just drag and drop the classic system folder?

Daytona

Brad Oliver
Aspyr Staff
Oct 24, 2003, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by a2daj:
Classic isn't installed by default? That's odd. Try digging around on your included disks to see if there's a classic install disk. My guess is that there'd be something on the main restore disk.
We just bought a 15" Aluminum PowerBook last week and classic was installed on it by default.
Brad Oliver
bradman AT pobox DOT com

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Daytonaaaaa:
One question:
The software restore seems to only restore the software to the system partition. What if I want to put classic on another partition? Can I just drag and drop the classic system folder?
I'd also drag over the Applications (OS 9) Folder that gets created. I don't see any huge reason why this wouldn't work, just rerun the classic control panal to make sure it sees the folder on the new partition. I can't personally rest this at the moment though, since my Powerbook and Cube only have one partition. If it dosen't work, simply drag them back, or use Software Restore again.
<This space under renovation>

Forum Links
Forum Rules