Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Superdrive 2x, is it still good to use?

Superdrive 2x, is it still good to use?
drloomis
Oct 24, 2003, 01:52 AM

This is a stupid thing, but since 4x came out that seems to be the benchmark for me...

But I see that a few people are selling 15inch imac with a superdrive built in and that is tempting so i could use iDVD.

I mean I would lose some speed 800 vs 1ghz, but having a superdrive soudns good.

Just wondering how the 2x works. I mean is thta too slow or is it good enough?

I mean don't you just hit burn and walk away basically?

1x take an hour to burn the whole disk?

So 30 mins for 2x? 15 for 4x?

This is what happens to me. I assume ever a 1x superdrive is better than nothing, but now that there is 4x out, I can't get that out of my head.

Telll me that a 2x is great!

Thanks.
--------------------
I shot him six times!

Krypton
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 01:08 PM

A lot of time making a DVD is spent encoding the footage - so a faster Mac will help with that. I doubt very much that drive speed is perfectly inversely proportional to burn time, but it will make a difference (i.e. a 4x drive probably won't take a quarter of the time).

As long as you have the freedom to wait a little longer for the disc to burn, then a secondhand model can be a real bargain.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 05:14 PM

Are you thinking of selling your 1 GHz iMac for an 800 MHz with SuperDrive? If so, you might want to consider just buying a SuperDrive for your existing iMac. You'll likely void your warranty if you do it yourself, but you might be able to get an Apple shop do thge upgrade for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules