Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The International Panther Party

The International Panther Party
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2003, 07:10 PM

Hey everyone! This is the Panther Party thread. Where are you? If you're at an Apple Store, which one? If you can't be at one, speak up and join the virtual internation party right here!

I'm at Southdale (Edina, MN). I'll be posting pictures after a while. I heard they are closing the store at 7:30, but I'll be in line before then.

So speak up! Take pictures! Show us what's up! There are 7 people in line already here. I'm going to eat but I'll be there after a while.

mcs37
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Hey everyone! This is the Panther Party thread. Where are you? If you're at an Apple Store, which one? If you can't be at one, speak up and join the virtual internation party right here!
Reporting from Ithaca, New York:

I'm sadly in the computer lab finishing up a B+ tree assignment for my database class. I see on Apple.com there are 8 minutes left until the worldwide party begins. But tomorrow, the Cornell University bookstore is hosting a Panther event from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. So I intend to go play with 10.3 on the Power Mac G5 they have on display.

Expose is so sweet! I will probably take some pictures tomorrow since I love my Canon Elph S230.

Mike

mishap
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 08:31 PM

I rather hang out with my girlfirend rather than a bunch of geeks, so i think i'll go do that.

seriously, for the hardcore--have fun everyone!

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2003, 09:04 PM

Well, here I am. Let me see if I can get bluetooth working to get some pictures up.

[edit]

OK, got some pictures. Forgive the quality. They're from my phone. I forgot to grab the real camera.

( Last edited by Xeo; Oct 24, 2003 at 09:15 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2003, 09:24 PM

Well, I'm partying here at home with my brand-spanking-new copy of Panther... Does that count?

Is that you in the bottom picture, Xeo?

sniffer
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 09:30 PM

Great pictures. It really captures excitement. Thanks for taking your time sharing it with us Xeo.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2003, 11:33 PM

Bottom picture is not me. That's a buddy of mine. I'm not buying Panther tonight since it'll come w/ my iBook G4.

You get these when you leave the store:

Two and a half hours after the party started, the line finally died down and I could get back in. The store is still packed w/ people, but there isn't a line outside anymore. The line was huge for a while.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2003, 11:54 PM

The crowd at 10:45 PM:

G5 boxes under the shelves ready for the pickin':

Random Apple guy running around w/ a powerbook and iSight, getting people to interact in it:

Pictures of the signs they have around. This is all the different ones I saw:

( Last edited by Xeo; Oct 25, 2003 at 12:03 AM. )

PreciousBbird
Oct 25, 2003, 12:12 AM

Hey - I was there!! In Edina, at Southdale! That was a huge turnout. I got there at 8:07, waited in line until about 8:55. Was let in the store at about 8:55, proceeded to the back of the store and bought Panther. I had no intention of buying anything, but I figured since I waited so long I might as well get it. I guess I will have to wait on my shoe shopping for about a month. I got two sets of dog tags by accident. A happy accident.

So I just installed it. It took about an hour. Everything is working well so far.

It was exciting to be part of it and I am glad I have Panther!

She's too happy!

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Forgive the quality. They're from my phone. I forgot to grab the real camera.
They aren't bad for a phone, what sort of phone is it?

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 25, 2003, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by WJMoore:
They aren't bad for a phone, what sort of phone is it?
Nokia 3650.

I have a few more pics. I'm at home now. I'll post them in a little while. I was kinda hoping others would post pics of their Panther Parties, but ah well.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 25, 2003, 02:48 AM

Last pic (my other didn't turn out):

Basically, any Mac was 10% off, and if you bought Panther, everything else was 10% off too. Bummed me out that this couldn't be combined w/ the student discount, so I'm waiting until next week to order. Also, the 10% off only included their in stock stuff. I wanted to BTO an iBook, cause I want it to have bluetooth, but they couldn't do that. Also, you CANNOT add bluetooth after the fact without going through a lot of red tape and probably voiding your warranty (internal bluetooth, anyway). So that sucked. But the general manager for the Minnesota stores told me he'd give me 10% off anything else in the store if I ordered it then and there. He said they get credit for the sale, even if you order it on their website. He also said he'd send along the feedback that people want the 10% off even on BTO sales. I couldn't combine it w/ my student discount anyway so it's not much of a better deal for me.

Anyway, that's it for the night. I had fun. Hope you all did too.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 03:50 AM

I went to my local reseller here in Colorado Springs. Walked out with a T-Shirt, mouse pad, and a stomach full of free cake, cookies, and beer. (Already had Panther from the Up-to-date shipment). Well worth the visit, and more fun then standing in the cold line that probably existed at the Littleton store.
<This space under renovation>

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 25, 2003, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by Drakino:
I went to my local reseller here in Colorado Springs. Walked out with a T-Shirt, mouse pad, and a stomach full of free cake, cookies, and beer. (Already had Panther from the Up-to-date shipment). Well worth the visit, and more fun then standing in the cold line that probably existed at the Littleton store.
I heard there was a local reseller who was giving out pizza and beer in my area. Kinda tempting, but there's just something about the Apple store that draws me in every time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules