Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod Headphones (any good choices?)

iPod Headphones (any good choices?)
drloomis
Oct 26, 2003, 01:10 AM

I like the iPod headphones that came with it, but the air buds sometimes hurt my ears.

It like starts to irritate my ear canal and I have to stop using it.

wondeing if anyone can recommend a more comfortbale headphone or the one they use and like.

at the apple store they had some sony headphones that looked good. They looked a bit smalelr and might fit my ear canal better.

I would use those big sony headphones but on the street, the air buds are more convient and nicer.
--------------------
I shot him six times!

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2003, 01:48 AM

Well, I have a pair of Bose QuietComfort headphones and I love them to death. I'd check those out if your willing to fork out the 300 dollars for them. I do a decent amount of travel on top of having to live in a dorm room with a roommate, so that noise cancelling is ideal.

Also, you could check out these
Sonys or the slightly cheaper version here.

There was also a thread somewhere on this site (sorry about the vagueness, bad memory) about really nice speakers and headphones. There were some really sweet ones. If you've got the time, it might be worth looking for.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

MacNugget
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by drloomis:
I like the iPod headphones that came with it, but the air buds sometimes hurt my ears.

It like starts to irritate my ear canal and I have to stop using it.

wondeing if anyone can recommend a more comfortbale headphone or the one they use and like.

at the apple store they had some sony headphones that looked good. They looked a bit smalelr and might fit my ear canal better.

I would use those big sony headphones but on the street, the air buds are more convient and nicer.
Koss KSC-50, if you like music w/ some "boom"!

Probably Sennheisser px-200 or px-100 if you like classical

davidflas
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 07:25 PM

Check out this website http://headroom.headphone.com/layout.php they have headphones for all budgets, plus forums discussing them. HTH.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2003, 07:52 PM

I highly recommend the Sony MDR-EX71SL's. They come in white (MDR-EX71SLW) and black (MDR-EX71SLB). I too disliked Apple's earbuds because they started to hurt my ear after a little while's use. These are much more comfortable, as I have been wearing them for hours at a time at work. They sound great, and are the in-ear type so they are somewhat noise cancelling.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 02:30 PM

Depends on how much you want to spend.

I personally use the Sennheiser PX-200, which is a closed, portable headphone. Sounds really great with laid-back music like soft rock, classical, and jazz. Also comes with a nifty case. Appx. $40.

For more of a bass slam, the Sennheiser PX-100 is good. The sound is a little less refined than the PX-200, and it is an open headphone (so it allows more noise to leak in & out from the outside world). Better for rock & pop. Same nifty case. Appx. $30.

Koss KSC-35, Koss KSC-50, and Koss Porta-Pro are all excellent headphones as well. Good with all types of music. $20-50 range.

There are plenty of more expensive fine sounding headphones, but none of them are really portable except the Etymotic in-ear canalphones. You may or may not like these because of your experience with buds.

Hope this helps, and check out www.headphone.com and www.head-fi.org for more info!

--Chris

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 04:48 PM

If you're concerned with comfort, avoid the Koss KSC-50s. I have a pair - they have excellent sound but they're very uncomfortable because they're clip-on style and they pinch your ears. I'm thinking of getting some good ones that don't involve pinching my ears. One tip someone suggested was to remove the padding from the KSC-50s. That actually helped - it improved sound quality, and it made them less tight on my ears, but they are still uncomfortable after an hour or two.

My mom got a pretty generic pair of Sony headphones, over the top headband-style. They're very comfortable and they sound good, and they're cheap. Maybe I'll get a pair of those.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules