Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Info for those trying to decide between Televio and El Gato "EyeTV"

Info for those trying to decide between Televio and El Gato "EyeTV"
Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2003, 06:46 AM

I've been trying to decide whether to get the Televio Card or the USB Box EyeTV. I sent following emails to each company and got these responses:

El Gato,

Are there plans to release a PCI Version of your product. I like the features of EyeTV but don't care for another external box sitting on my desk.

Response:

Thank you for contacting Elgato Systems Customer Support.

At the moment, we have no plans to release a PCI version of our product. This may change in the future however, and if it does happen, I will send you an email to inform you of that change.

Our unit is really small, and can be set on top of your computer case, hidden from view. Because this is powered by the USB bus, there is just one wire connecting to your computer.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you for your interest,

Nick V.

Email to Televio:

I am very close to deciding between your "televio" product and El Gato's "EyeTV" product.

I like that your product is a PCI card, but I also like El Gato's "EyeTV" software that has the ability to set up recordings and burn VCD's of the recordings.

Is there any plans to incorporate an "EyeTV" like software into future Televio cards?

Response:

we will soon release a solution for scheduled recording. We will not have
TitanTV integration, at least not with the first release.

But if you want a VCD there is still the process of transcoding the movie
because Televio could not capture with the MPEG1 format. There is no MPEG1
codec installed in standard QuickTime usable for compression.

With kind regards

Dirk Musfeldt
Meilenstein Mac OS Software

Neue Strasse 5
D-31582 Nienburg
Germany

I think this is good news that Televio with soon have scheduled recording. Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what he means when he says there is no way to make a VCD with Televio Recordings? Even with 3rd party software?

Looks like I'm leaning toward the televio.

thanks,

lw

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 07:17 AM

VCDs are essentially Video encoded as MPEG-1.

Since eyeTV gives you video in MPEG-1 - it's easy to burn VCDs from the video from an eyeTV.

The Formac Studio and Televio encode video in a superior format (DV)

you can transcode your DV down to MPEG-1 - but QuickTime does not come with the appropriate codec for doing this.

There is one - but it comes with the software Toast (I believe).

So what he is saying - is that you cannot use the Televio software alone to burn VCDs - you need Toast too.

joe
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
The Formac Studio and Televio encode video in a superior format (DV)

I own both a Studio dv/tv (updated to v1.07) and a new Televio. The Formac Studio does DV compression in hardware which is about 3.5MB/s at full DV res 720*480. But the Televio records component video which is essentially uncompressed: about 17.5MB/s at 640*480, 3.5MB?s at 320*240).

However, BOTH the Studio and Televio allow you to choose whatever codec is installed on your Mac. I've had excellent results with both using MPEG4 compression in real time with their supplied software. But this is highly dependend on your Mac cpu. My 1GHz Cube was able to capture 320*240 MPEG4 at 30fps (NTSC) using only about 60% cpu. But it could only manage about 13fps at 640*480 (MPEG4). My 1.467Ghz G4 Tower can get 640*480 MPEG4 at the full 30fps with Televio. But it takes between 85-90% cpu. In both cases you can view the live video perfectly while it's being captured. And just to clarify, when using the Formac Studio's build in hardware DV codec, it only takes about 30% cpu even at 720*480 DV res. Most of that cpu is because it's also displaying the video at the same time too - without dropping frames. The friend that bought my Studio has a 500Mhz G3 iMac and it has no trouble capturing and displaying 720*480 due to the DV codec in hardware.

For both the Studio and Televio you need a separate program to create VideoCDs. So if creating VideoCDs in one step is important than EyeTV is the way to go. However, VideoCD is an older format based on CDs and has some limitations compared to video DVDs. VideoCDs are low res 352*240 MPEG1 (NTSC) and hold 1 hour max per disc. There are no menus, chapter markers, etc. A video DVD can hold up to 6 hours of 720*480 MPEG2 video - though in practice you're best to limit that to 4 hours for maximum compatibility with older standalone DVD players.

EyeTV and Formac Studio software has been updated quite a bit - both have the ability to schedule or automatically record shows using a web TV site. The Televio software is new and only records shows manually. You click on a button to start, give it a name (or accept the default), and then it records until you hit stop.

I recently sold my Formac Studio dv/tv to a friend and now own a new Televio. I have nothing but high praise for my Formac Studio though. It combines the best features of the EyeTV and Televio IMHO. But since buying a G4 Tower I wanted an internal solution. There've been a few teething problems with my mew Televio since I've installed it one week ago today. But I'm confident that once the software has matured to the same point as the EyeTV and Formac Studio, it will be even better! good luck whichever you decide........joe

EDIT - updated to clarify MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, and hardware DV captures and cpu useage. Also, the Televio software let's you choose a software DV codec as well as any other codec installed on your Mac. I haven't used the software DV codec though. Although DV does save a lot of hard drive space compared to uncompressed video, MPEG4 saves even more drive space and can be edited directly in QuickTime. You can cut and paste video just like text in a word processor! MPEG4 rulz!!!
( Last edited by joe; Aug 8, 2003 at 09:59 AM. )

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 08:54 AM

Televio sounds like what I've been looking for, but after having EyeTV I just can't give up its features. El Gato and this company should get together and allow EyeTV's software to work with Televio. That's the perfect combination.

joe
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
Televio sounds like what I've been looking for, but after having EyeTV I just can't give up its features. El Gato and this company should get together and allow EyeTV's software to work with Televio. That's the perfect combination.

I agree 100%!!! I've always been VERY impressed with the quality of the EyeTV software. I was tempted to buy an EyeTV once or twice specifically due to the excellent software features. It's the hardware side that held me back. I'm not refering to build quality as EyeTV works exactly as advertized. But the low res video, USB interface, and videoCD format just don't appeal to me. I was hoping ElGato would come out with a Firewire or internal version at some point.

But the new Televio seems to be just what I'm looking for. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Formac Studio or EyeTV, but it's also less expensive than both at $150US. I'm also betting that the software will gain features over time and eventually catch up to EyeTV in most respects. That's pretty much what happened with the Formac Studio. Over time the software gained some very impressive features such as web based scheduling of recordings, video-in-dock, floating video window, and a built-in link to their Devideon DVD software. I'm not suggesting Televio will gain all of those features, but it's likely to improve with future software updates in a similar fashion.....joe

Walker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2003, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by joe:
I'm also betting that the software will gain features over time and eventually catch up to EyeTV in most respects.
I hope your right! I bit the bullet and ordered a Televio card last night. Hope it doesn't take a month to get here (ordered it directly from the company).

lw

joe
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Walker:
I hope your right! I bit the bullet and ordered a Televio card last night. Hope it doesn't take a month to get here (ordered it directly from the company).

What is your Mac hardware setup (G3/4,MHz/GHz,etc)?.......joe

Walker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2003, 04:18 PM

My computer is the 867 mh G4 Quicksilver with 768 mb ram. Been tempted to throw in an upgrade processor but then the G5's came out. Anyway, I'll think I'll hang onto this system and keep it the way it is for another year. Do you think I'll be able to capture the full screen video with my system specs?

lw

joe
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 09:33 PM

My computer is the 867 mh G4 Quicksilver with 768 mb ram. Been tempted to throw in an upgrade processor but then the G5's came out. Anyway, I'll think I'll hang onto this system and keep it the way it is for another year. Do you think I'll be able to capture the full screen video with my system specs?
I'm only guessing here. My best guess would be yes - but only for uncompressed or component video. I dunno, maybe a lower compression codec like Motion JPEG would work in real time captures too, it's only about 2:1 compression and doesn't take much cpu. 2:1 saves a lot of hard drive space though so it's worth trying.

For something more highly compressed like MPEG4 you'll definitely have to use another program to crunch it down afterwards. My 1Ghz Cube couldn't handle more than about 13fps for 640*480 real time MPEG4 captures so you can use that as a baseline for comparison. Hmmm. It's obviously not a linear comparison though since my 1.467GHz Tower (Giga-Designs cpu) captures the full 30fps for 640*480 real time MPEG4 captures. You would think I'd need better than a 2GHz cpu based on my 1Ghz Cube results. Maybe the slower 100Mhz bus and 2x AGP slot are holding the Cube back a little compared to the Tower?!?!

Good luck. If you decide to get the Televio please post and let us know how it goes .......joe

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2003, 04:51 PM

after reading this forum, i've decided to go with the televio. thanx a lot of the info. i ordered it from dr. bott but it's backordered right now so i dunno when i'll get it. i'll let you guys know how it goes when i get it.

i just hope the company doesn't go out of business like ixMicro. I have a useless ixTV card.

tpxstyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2003, 04:50 AM

i have an eyetv.. i've used it well for about a year now.. i love it to death but it has one HUGE drawback... flipping channels encounters major lag due to the USB bottlenecks.. i dont know about you guys, but i'm a serious channel surfer =D

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 08:42 AM

The delay is not due to USB, it is because the TV signal is being compressed. You'll notice that the EyeTV signal is about 2 seconds behind live TV. That's the time it takes to do the hardware MPEG compression, I guess.

ChadC
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2003, 09:02 AM

Seems like i'll be ordering the Televio also. I've been looking at EyeTV and Formac for a while also but Televio seems to be what I need. In any case... has anybody tried to use Televio in conjunction with a Console game system(PS2, xBox, GameCube)? My Televio will be coming with me to school and although my dorm will have 2 TV's(between 4 people), I was also wondering if it was possible to play video games with this system. Anybody try it or have any info on it?

-Chad
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

erise
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by ChadC:
Seems like i'll be ordering the Televio also. I've been looking at EyeTV and Formac for a while also but Televio seems to be what I need. In any case... has anybody tried to use Televio in conjunction with a Console game system(PS2, xBox, GameCube)? My Televio will be coming with me to school and although my dorm will have 2 TV's(between 4 people), I was also wondering if it was possible to play video games with this system. Anybody try it or have any info on it?

-Chad
I've been doing a lot of looking at this same thing. It seems that the Televio runs in real-time so it works great with game systems. The eyeTV and the Formac both have too much lag to use for gaming. Televio is also working on an external solution, but when I asked if it would be good for gaming, they said that wasn't a priority.

So, basically, if you want to play games you'll need a Mac with a PCI slot and a Televio. I haven't found any solutions for PowerBooks, which is what I wanted to buy.
MacEmu - The best Mac Emulation Website

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2003, 03:06 AM

I bought a Televio compatible card on ebay, i think its a lifeview or something. And I'm currently useing the software in demo I wanted to make sure it worked like I want before I bought it. It seems to be really good. The full screen mode is a little blocky but I might be able to work on that. I need to try it with my PS2 but I plan on using my PS2 soley with this card (I replaced my TV with an old B&W G3, upgraded with a G4, and a 17" LCD).

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2003, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by ChadC:
has anybody tried to use Televio in conjunction with a Console game system(PS2, xBox, GameCube)?(...) I was also wondering if it was possible to play video games with this system. Anybody try it or have any info on it?

-Chad
Yes, I did it and works flawless with my GAMECUBE and my B&W G3 350MHZ.

Here you can see it:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=164543

Please note that images in that topic was done with a G4 400 and an Apple 17 TFT, just for check how nice it looks with the tft.

And about the PowerBook, I can do it but only under Mac OS 9 with a capsure pc card, screenshot here with an great soccer Nintendo 64, Konami�s ISS 98, game with Apple ads, he he:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...54#post1269254

Walker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2003, 10:06 PM

My Televio arrived yesterday. Here are my first impressions:

The PCI card arrived well packed and software was easy to load.

Was disappointed to see that the operating manual is a .pdf file, but I guess that is most companies are doing now.

The picture quality is very good. The software is solid, as in I haven't had any crashes, but there are a few minor bugs that I've encountered. I am using it on my second monitor and it looks really good.

I look forward to the new releases of software. I am having a hard time with the tuner. I can't get my stations to correspond correctly. For example, if I punch in channel 10, I'm really getting channel 11.

Remote control is cool, however the televio application must always be in front in order for it to work.

All in all, I'm very happy with it. I look forward to the day when I can set up timed recordings, and maybe even the day when there is an "EyeTV" like software for this card.

lw

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2003, 01:34 AM

My Televio arrived yesterday. Here are my first impressions:

The PCI card arrived well packed and software was easy to load.

Was disappointed to see that the operating manual is a .pdf file, but I guess that is most companies are doing now.

The picture quality is very good. The software is solid, as in I haven't had any crashes, but there are a few minor bugs that I've encountered. I am using it on my second monitor and it looks really good.

I look forward to the new releases of software. I am having a hard time with the tuner. I can't get my stations to correspond correctly. For example, if I punch in channel 10, I'm really getting channel 11.

Remote control is cool, however the televio application must always be in front in order for it to work.

All in all, I'm very happy with it. I look forward to the day when I can set up timed recordings, and maybe even the day when there is an "EyeTV" like software for this card.

lw
Yeah as far as channel numbers go, the number you type is the number of your channels. For instance if you have 4 5 and 7 programmed, than typing 1 gets you 4, typing 2 gets you 5, and typing 3 gets you 7. Very annoying and I haven't looked into it deeply yet to see if there's a better way to do it. But overall I'm very happy with mine

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2003, 09:18 AM

I have the Elgato EyeTV,it works well, except for one glaring fault (at least for me).

There is no "always on top" option, which means any time you open an application or web page you have to either move it or minimize it to get the eyetv screen back on top.

I have a WinTV for my PC and it has the always on top option which makes it much more convenient.

I don't know why elgato doesn't add this option to the eyetv software.

ChadC
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2003, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by l008com:
I bought a Televio compatible card on ebay, i think its a lifeview or something. And I'm currently useing the software in demo I wanted to make sure it worked like I want before I bought it. It seems to be really good. The full screen mode is a little blocky but I might be able to work on that. I need to try it with my PS2 but I plan on using my PS2 soley with this card (I replaced my TV with an old B&W G3, upgraded with a G4, and a 17" LCD).
How did you find out that the card was compatible with the Televio software? Is there a list somewhere? Can you buy just the Televio software, and is it cheaper then buying the card as well?

Thanx,
Chad
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2003, 01:42 PM

on their web site they list all the cards that are based on the same chipset theirs is

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2003, 02:38 AM

I emailed ElGato. They said they have plans for a firewire device some time next year....

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2003, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by surferboy:
I emailed ElGato. They said they have plans for a firewire device some time next year....
That really does make sense because USB has much lower video quality, and PCI is a very small percentage of the Mac community. If I could have gotten a FireWire one now I wouldn't have had to have gotten a whole Blue and White tower to turn into a MacTV, I could have just gotten an old iMac motherboard, get that processor/Firewire upgrade, made my own neat case for it and been set. Oh well.

Walker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2003, 06:38 AM

Learned something new last night. Don't put your computer to sleep while televio is still runnng. Had to do a hard restart to get my computer running again.

lw

Weezer
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by striker100:
I have the Elgato EyeTV,it works well, except for one glaring fault (at least for me).

There is no "always on top" option, which means any time you open an application or web page you have to either move it or minimize it to get the eyetv screen back on top.

I have a WinTV for my PC and it has the always on top option which makes it much more convenient.

I don't know why elgato doesn't add this option to the eyetv software.
I talked to them the other night, and it is one of their high priorities.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2003, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by Weezer:
I talked to them the other night, and it is one of their high priorities.
High priorities? Isn't it just a flag you set like textured window, or utility window?

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by qnxde:
High priorities? Isn't it just a flag you set like textured window, or utility window?
I didn't even think about it when I read it, but now that I do, i think you might be right.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by joe:
I own both a Studio dv/tv (updated to v1.07) and a new Televio. The Formac Studio does DV compression in hardware which is about 3.5MB/s at full DV res 720*480. But the Televio records component video which is essentially uncompressed: about 17.5MB/s at 640*480, 3.5MB?s at 320*240).

However, BOTH the Studio and Televio allow you to choose whatever codec is installed on your Mac. I've had excellent results with both using MPEG4 compression in real time with their supplied software. But this is highly dependend on your Mac cpu. My 1GHz Cube was able to capture 320*240 MPEG4 at 30fps (NTSC) using only about 60% cpu. But it could only manage about 13fps at 640*480 (MPEG4). My 1.467Ghz G4 Tower can get 640*480 MPEG4 at the full 30fps with Televio. But it takes between 85-90% cpu. In both cases you can view the live video perfectly while it's being captured. And just to clarify, when using the Formac Studio's build in hardware DV codec, it only takes about 30% cpu even at 720*480 DV res. Most of that cpu is because it's also displaying the video at the same time too - without dropping frames. The friend that bought my Studio has a 500Mhz G3 iMac and it has no trouble capturing and displaying 720*480 due to the DV codec in hardware.

For both the Studio and Televio you need a separate program to create VideoCDs. So if creating VideoCDs in one step is important than EyeTV is the way to go. However, VideoCD is an older format based on CDs and has some limitations compared to video DVDs. VideoCDs are low res 352*240 MPEG1 (NTSC) and hold 1 hour max per disc. There are no menus, chapter markers, etc. A video DVD can hold up to 6 hours of 720*480 MPEG2 video - though in practice you're best to limit that to 4 hours for maximum compatibility with older standalone DVD players.

EyeTV and Formac Studio software has been updated quite a bit - both have the ability to schedule or automatically record shows using a web TV site. The Televio software is new and only records shows manually. You click on a button to start, give it a name (or accept the default), and then it records until you hit stop.

I recently sold my Formac Studio dv/tv to a friend and now own a new Televio. I have nothing but high praise for my Formac Studio though. It combines the best features of the EyeTV and Televio IMHO. But since buying a G4 Tower I wanted an internal solution. There've been a few teething problems with my mew Televio since I've installed it one week ago today. But I'm confident that once the software has matured to the same point as the EyeTV and Formac Studio, it will be even better! good luck whichever you decide........joe

EDIT - updated to clarify MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, and hardware DV captures and cpu useage. Also, the Televio software let's you choose a software DV codec as well as any other codec installed on your Mac. I haven't used the software DV codec though. Although DV does save a lot of hard drive space compared to uncompressed video, MPEG4 saves even more drive space and can be edited directly in QuickTime. You can cut and paste video just like text in a word processor! MPEG4 rulz!!!
joe

I'm debating either go for the more expansive Formac Studio DV/TV or the cheaper Televio PCI solution. I used to own the Formac Studio DV/TV (silver box) during 2001.. and then I sold it. Now.. I'm moving to a college dorm and I don't want to bring a "real" TV set.. also I own a dual G4 (FW 800)..

Taking about the CPU utilization... the Formac won.. [right?]...

Can you provide any image of the Televio card alone? e.g. the output ports.

Where did you purchase the Televio card from?

Thanks.

joe
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
joe

Taking about the CPU utilization... the Formac won.. [right?]...

For recording compressed video, yes. Both are about the same for viewing live TV/video.

Unfortunately, I don't own a digicam at this time. But here's a list of the ports on my Televio card from top to bottom:
-FM antenna input
-TV antenna input with F-connector
-Composite video input
-audio input (1/8" stereo plug)
-S-video input
-audio output (1/8" stereo plug)
-input plug for infrared receiver

Also included in the box:
-an FM antennae
-a short (1 foot) 1/8" to 1/8" stereo audio cable
-a short barrel adapter possibly to allow a different FM antennae (?)
-an infrared receiver attached to about a yard of cable.
-a very cool wireless remote control (battery included) though the remote software could use some improvement.

Where did you purchase the Televio card from?

I bought it from Dr Bott. regards......joe

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2003, 10:47 PM

Thank you for your info... I'm going to order one...

do you still I can pick one up at the AppleStore?

joe
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2003, 07:43 AM

Thank you for your info... I'm going to order one...

Sure, anytime. Personally I don't think you could wrong with either of these tuners. I've owned both and they each have advantages. Good luck with yours!

do you still I can pick one up at the AppleStore?

I'm not sure. But a quick search of their web site should let you know one way or the other. regards....joe

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2003, 02:11 PM

here you can check it, the photo is not perfect due to the wires hide some of the rear ports, If you need a better one I�ll take it.

http://homepage.mac.com/super_mario/PhotoAlbum2.html

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2003, 07:05 PM

For those Televio card owners;

I just received the card from Integrated CADD Services this afternoon via UPS overnight shipping. By opening the UPS box, I see the Televio box without any seal or wrap on it although the software CD-ROM remains unopened. Can someone confirm the packaging for me? OR did I buy an "open-box" hardware.

I will install the card tonight and see.

[edit]: Just playing with the remote control.
It seems doesn't work right out of the box. I pull away the plastic tab, but still the same.
According to the PDF manual

With the red �power� button you can switch the actual window on or off.
You can use the number block to change the TV- or radio channel. If the
channel number desired has more than one figure, they have to be quickly
put in, one after the other. (In the TV-control the number is shortly illuminated
in red, as long as a new number can be added). Use �enter� to confirm
your input, the number then stops being lighted up in red.
I don't see anything in red. Does the battery or the remote itself go DOA? I don't have an extra 3V battery to test it.
( Last edited by Kenneth; Sep 20, 2003 at 02:36 AM. )

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2003, 10:30 PM

Of course, the EyeTV is the only option for a portable. I must say I love my EyeTV. It's connected to an iBook.

What I like is that it does everything in the background without slowing the computer down, or getting in my way. I was worried the USB thing might be unstable on OS X, but it's as stable as.... a really stable thing. Never crashes or complains even when the USB cable is connected/disconnected.

And this is in Australia, where I don't even get a web site to automatically select programs to record.

I put the EyeTV box itself under the table, and never see it.

The image quality doesn't bother me. It's only TV, and I erase everything after I watch it anyway. I've made a test VCD, just to try out the commercial cropping, and VCD burning "features". VCD burning is actually integrated with Toast, and therefore you do need Toast (?just like Televio?). Works well.

So, on a portable, I don't have the option of a Televio. But if I were to ever get a Mac G5, I would still go for an EyeTV.

I like to know that if I ever need to get a backup of a VHS tape, I just need to connect the VCR to the to the EyeTV, and press "play" on the VCR, and "record" on the iBook. Walah, make a VCD.

(...issues like attaching consoles to the Televio and so on, noted...)

Titom
Sep 21, 2003, 08:34 PM

OK that sounds good.. but if your not there to watch it.. and it's like 30 min. long.. Does it then record static till you get back.. or until it runs out of hard disk space?

Or does it have a 30-60 min. timer?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 05:34 PM

I received the box with no plastic shrinkwrap. The card itself had been damaged and I got an immediate replacement, and it too had no shrinkwrap. I think you're ok on that.

The remote works through a System Preference pane that is installed from the CD. It works well for me with the bundled software (which I don't particularly like). The pref pane allows you to set controls for other apps and controls for "global", but the global settings don't work at all for me. Hardware-wise, taking off that plastic guard was all that was necessary.

For those Televio card owners;

I just received the card from Integrated CADD Services this afternoon via UPS overnight shipping. By opening the UPS box, I see the Televio box without any seal or wrap on it although the software CD-ROM remains unopened. Can someone confirm the packaging for me? OR did I buy an "open-box" hardware.

I will install the card tonight and see.

[edit]: Just playing with the remote control.
It seems doesn't work right out of the box. I pull away the plastic tab, but still the same.
According to the PDF manual

I don't see anything in red. Does the battery or the remote itself go DOA? I don't have an extra 3V battery to test it.

Kevlar
Sep 23, 2003, 12:28 AM

Try this...

Point the remote at the IR port and press the 'enter' button on it. there should be a little 'G' in the menu bar. From there it should work to turn on other apps.
Intel iMac 1.8
Logitech Mx 7000
Firewave
Logitech z-5300 5.1

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2003, 10:51 PM

cool.. everything works now..
I noticed that the package sent out from Dr. Botts.... but I ordered it some other place.. weird.. may be [some other place] was the middle-man..

Matth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2003, 02:40 PM

Can anyone comment on full screen tv viewing with Formac or the Televio?

Also, which is best for video capture: Formac or Televio? (Probably ending up encoding video into DivX)

I have a DP 800 G4 with an 80GB harddrive and 1.2GB RAM.

Thanks

Arcayx
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 07:37 PM

So I ordered one of their cards (direct from the company) and they charged my credit card for it. I never got anything and the company would not give me any further information. They told me they shipped a "second" card, but it never arrived. This company took my payment in July and I still haven't gotten a product from them. They now refuse to return my e-mails. Looks like I got taken for a ride.
Televio = huge rip off.
Buyers beware.

-Alex Downey

Edit: About a month after I posted about my story in various places on the Internet, I was contacted again. They decided to refund my money, asking me to remove the bad reviews.
( Last edited by Arcayx; Nov 27, 2003 at 07:47 PM. )
-Cogito, Ergo, Sum

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2003, 07:43 PM

Has anyone tried using the Formac option with the new AL 15 powerbook? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Formac have firewire? Wouldn't that take care of the lag for compressing the video from the TV? Just how good of an image quality are we talking here for videos? Let's say that I record an hour of tv, then burn that onto a dvd. If i play that in a dvd player, will it come out full screen on my tv, with about the same quality as how i first recorded it? I'm new to all this so, what resolution should it be recording as? Thanks.
Hi!

Walker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by Arcayx:
So I ordered one of their cards (direct from the company) and they charged my credit card for it. I never got anything and the company would not give me any further information. They told me they shipped a "second" card, but it never arrived. This company took my payment in July and I still haven't gotten a product from them. They now refuse to return my e-mails. Looks like I got taken for a ride.
Televio = huge rip off.
Buyers beware.

-Alex Downey
I'm surprised that you had any problems with this company. Their reputaion is top-notch. I did a lot of research on them before I purchased their card, and I have a hard time believing they've treated you this poorly. Hope you get it worked out.

lw

Titom
Oct 28, 2003, 01:50 PM

EyeTV works great on Panther.

I enjoy "taking out the 16 mins per 1 hour show", easy and fun :-)

Ti400 with a external pcmci firewire hard drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules