Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anyone in the UK get theirs delivered today?

Anyone in the UK get theirs delivered today? (Page 3)
Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 08:06 AM

After waiting for too long i've finally cracked.

Here is my letter to them. Anyone had any response of yet?

Dear ,

I am writing you with regards to web order Wxxxxxxx (OS X Panther) to convey my complete dissatisfaction with the level of service you have, and are still providing with regards to the shipment of Max OS X Panther to UK customers.

As of today, the 28th of October, I am still waiting for delivery of this item, even though (and I don�t think I need to remind you), I was promised a delivery date of the 24th. To add insult to injury, this delivery date is still being advertised on your website! It is dare I say, quite incompetent of you.

How can it be possible to guarantee a delivery date whilst at the same time shipping items using Parcel Post, whereas US customers had the choice of shipping method? Why is it that loyal UK customer always seem to be treated second rate?

I would also like to add that this was the first and most likely the last time I order from Apple direct.

I anticipate your reply,

Mr. X.

benign
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 08:20 AM

Annihialator - are you sure it says
delivered on the 24th or just sent on
that date. It could take 5 working
days for your delivery as you have
the misfortune of living in the UK.

Simple Empire...

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2003, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by benign:
Annihialator - are you sure it says
delivered on the 24th or just sent on
that date.
It said delivered, as someone already pointed out here: http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/8352/...omo_macosx.jpg

Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
It said delivered, as someone already pointed out here: http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/8352/...omo_macosx.jpg
Thanks! I'm not going mad after all!

swiftp
Oct 28, 2003, 09:50 AM

Guys,

I sent this to AS today. Lets see what happens. I reckon that just blasting off at them yeilds no results. Maybe an argued note will get some action (like a voucher!).

Anyway, here it is...

Dear Apple Store,

I am most disappointed by the failure of my copy of Panther to arrive (its now afternoon, Tuesday the 28th October).

I ordered my copy from you (order number W100*****) on the 8th October, the day of launch. While I am not in a tearing hurry for delivery, I believe that your comment on the website ("order today for delivery on the evening of the 24th October")...

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore/

...should be fulfilled by the start of the next week, a reasonable delay given the logistics. So far, I have had the shipping notification but no delivery.

I was not asked if I wished to select a delivery method and, had I been, would have had the product couriered as I have time available early this week to install the product.

There are two problems here. First, you have promised something that has not, nor it appears, was ever intended to be, honoured and secondly, there has been no choice in the shipping method, a lack of customer choice.

This is poor customer service, an aspect of the Apple store that, I know that you prize highly and my past experience has been of good quality. Although this experience does not put me off ordering from the Apple Store, it will make me be very aware of the timings claims on the site in the future.

Please would you look into this matter. I would appreciate a considered response and, even better, a predicted arrival time.

Best regards

Paul

...We'll see.

TomHMeredith
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 10:24 AM

Hi Parky

Yes, it def. says TNT. The tracking number still isn't recognised.

I'm holding out little hope of receiving it today now, but, last week a new AEBS arrived, via TNT, while I was watching EastEnders, so it may arrive....

Just about to write my complaint letter.

Regards.

----

Edit - my letter, slightly adapted from Pauls.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am most disappointed by the failure of my copy of OS 10.3 to arrive.

I ordered my copy from you (order number W10*****) on the day of launch. While I understand that the logistics in organising a large product launch must be difficult, I believe that your comment on the website ("order today for delivery on the evening of the 24th October") should have been fulfilled. I do appreciate that there are often delays, so Saturday morning, or even Monday would have been acceptable. However, you didn't even ship it till the 25th, and the tracking number given to me is still not recognised by TNT.

What annoys me most with the Apple Store is the fact that there is no choice of shipping options and that you promised (and still were promising until earlier today) that it would be delivered at a certain time, and it appears that there was never any intent for it to be delivered.

This is extremely poor customer service, and is the only disappointing aspect of Apple as a whole which, unfortunately, lets it down dramatically.

This is the second time I have written to you regarding the appalling service offered by your couriers. (The first was 18months ago, when Kheune & Nagel told me I was unreasonable to expect my iMac to be delivered from Taiwan in 5 days - the time they quote and undoubtedly charge you for). Also, when Spring shipped my Bluetooth Mouse & Firewire hub to me, they left the package, worth �120, on the doorstep. I live in South London, and the fact that it wasn't stolen is very surprising. They didn't even bother to knock, as one of the 5 people who were in at the time would have quite happily accepted it.

I know that many people are upset about this matter and that you must do something about it for future product launches. Maybe you could talk to Amazon, they managed to deliver the latest Harry Potter on time, and there were probably 10x times the number of deliveries as there were for Panther.

Best regards

Tom.
( Last edited by TomHMeredith; Oct 28, 2003 at 10:45 AM. )
What are you looking for? A signature?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 11:26 AM

I just recived a call from the Apple store asking if I had recived Panther, and apoligising that it was delayed. They said that I was one of the few that hadn't recived them on friday (yer right).
Has anyone else recived a call, (i.e. are the calling evryone who didn't recive there copy on time) or did the emails I sent to Steve and the store over the weekend have this effect.

danbalsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 11:28 AM

Hiya folks,

I've followed this story along since it started, and I too have been in the same boat.

Sent a VERY angry email off to AppleUK and just got a phone call from them, I'm now getting an "Express delivery" of Panther sent over today, should arrive tomorrow or thursday (depends if they catch the cut off for sending today)

When I asked her "What should I do when the other one finally arrives?" she simply said "Oh keep it, it's fine"

She was VERY apologetic, and said that most people in the UK have received there's already yeah right!

Anyway, just thought i'd let people know.

Maybe Apple are contacting all the people who kicked off about this?
Daniel Balshaw

- Neowin.net member ;)

swiftp
Oct 28, 2003, 11:46 AM

Guys,

Got a reply from the Apple Store apologising and suggesting that it will arrive tomorrow. I have replied asking for a couriered copy if it doesn't.

The story continues. I would say though that the tone of the email to me is conciliatory and that they are trying to fix it.

Cheers for now.

Paul

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 11:50 AM

danbalsh

I've just had a phone call too from a very nice lady who was most apologetic.

They're sending out my order again by courier to arrive either tomorrow or Thursday.

I ordered 2 units because I have 2 Macs so it
looks like I could end up with 4 copies of Panther.

Yes... I kicked off at Apple. They got 3 emails from me and I cc'd all of them to Steve Jobs too.

At the very least I now know what's going on and that something is finally happening instead of having to sit there wondering.

If everyone who ordered from the Apple Store had had the option of courier delivery in the first place there would have been no need for any of this nonsense.

benign
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 12:21 PM

Compensation, recompense ?

Simple Empire...

Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 12:39 PM

Doh! I want multiple copies...

Just received this email...

Thank you for your email with regards to your order for Panther. We would sincerely like to apologise for the delay in the delivery of your order and for not being able to make the predicted delivery time we promised.

As you can imagine we have had an overwhelming response to the Panther release, and as a result have had a huge backlog of orders to process. Due to this, we are experiencing unforseen delays in the postage of these items, which in turn has resulted in us not being able to meet the deadlines that we promised.

Your copy of Panther was posted by UK post on October 21st, and we did not predict there to be these problems which have created delays in this postal method. You are sadly one of thousands of our customers that have unfortunately been caught up in this delay, and we very much apologise for this. Because of these delays we are no longer sending out our latest orders via the post, but as your order was sent by Apple on the 21/10 - we have no way of tracking the exact whereabouts.

This of course is not something Apple planned or predicted and we are taking this issue very seriously to prevent it from happening again in the future. We are hoping that your order will be with you in tomorrow's post, but have been advised we have to wait 10 working days before this is considered lost. If you have not received this by 10 working days, then please call us here at the Apple store on 0800 039 1010 and we will arrange for an express courier to delivery you a replacement.

Once again we very much apologise for the delay in your order, and any inconvenience caused.

JonnyVirgil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by Annihialator:
Doh! I want multiple copies...

Just received this email...

Thank you for your email with regards to your order for Panther. We would sincerely like to apologise for the delay in the delivery of your order and for not being able to make the predicted delivery time we promised.

As you can imagine we have had an overwhelming response to the Panther release, and as a result have had a huge backlog of orders to process. Due to this, we are experiencing unforseen delays in the postage of these items, which in turn has resulted in us not being able to meet the deadlines that we promised.

Your copy of Panther was posted by UK post on October 21st, and we did not predict there to be these problems which have created delays in this postal method. You are sadly one of thousands of our customers that have unfortunately been caught up in this delay, and we very much apologise for this. Because of these delays we are no longer sending out our latest orders via the post, but as your order was sent by Apple on the 21/10 - we have no way of tracking the exact whereabouts.

This of course is not something Apple planned or predicted and we are taking this issue very seriously to prevent it from happening again in the future. We are hoping that your order will be with you in tomorrow's post, but have been advised we have to wait 10 working days before this is considered lost. If you have not received this by 10 working days, then please call us here at the Apple store on 0800 039 1010 and we will arrange for an express courier to delivery you a replacement.

Once again we very much apologise for the delay in your order, and any inconvenience caused.

Well I ordered on the 8th and received dispatch notification on the 22nd and have just received exactly the same response to my query email as is shown above.

So it looks as though Apple UK now has a standard reply that they are issuing to anyone that complains.

And still no sign of the big black cat!

Extremely hacked off...

sja777
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 02:16 PM

I've had my reply from the Apple Store, which is a bit different. It attempts to give some indication of why they have chosen to use parcel post rather than a better coureir service. Of course, they've still broken their promise about delivery on the evening of 24th ...

Thank you for your email with regards to your order for Panther.
I have just checked your details on our system and your order has been shipped by parcel post since the 21st October.

As you can imagine we have had an over whelming response to the Panther release and we are currently trying to process the backlog of orders for this. We are expecting your order to be delivered very soon, at the very latest 4th of November.
For any other queries you may have concerning Panther please do not hesitate to contact :
[email protected]

Following comprehensive feedback we have received from a majority of our UK customers it has come to our attention that our customers do not like to have to wait for deliveries of Apple orders from a transporter, due to busy schedules. It is for this reason that we have chosen to deliver Panther via parcel post when possible.

We apologise for any delays and inconvenience that might occur as a result of this massive demand.
I think I'll be phoning to cancel my order tonight.

Keep the pressure up chaps!
I have no signature.

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 02:39 PM

Had phone call from a customer service bloke from Apple. He profusely apoligised my delay and said he would courier me a replacement to arrive Friday ish...

So, does this mean I get 2 copies? Hmm.....

I also mentioned the lack of choice of shipping options and managed to get my 2p said on the iTunes music store too!

I'm still pretty pissed off though, as I had planned to install Panther early this week, amongst other reasons of course.

I agree with a previous poster (sorry can't recall your name) that it has had the mild benifit of seeing what problems there are with Panther before I upgrade. Without this, I could be sat here with Panther, but without my nice new FW Drive which would have got toasted....
"I'm Captain Chaos! Been in the force long...?"

sja777
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 02:40 PM

I've just picked up my mobile answerphone messages. I've had the call too!

*&$@! It's too late to call today. I'll be on the phone tomorrow first thing tomorrow!

... I wonder whether I really can expect delivery on Thursday, though?
I have no signature.

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 02:46 PM

Had a phone call from Paula at the Apple store today. She was very apologetic and we had a long conversation about delivery methods and how in the UK we had no alternative to parcel post. Whilst i did say that my copy of Panther was only technically 2 working days late she accepted that if the website says it will be delivered on the 24th it should arrive on the 24th and that they will be reviewing procedures. She stated that my order left Apple UK HQ in Eire on the 21st and so the problem lies not with volume (which they had covered) but with the method of delivery.
I also pointed out that until i recieved notifacation that it had shipped did i become aware that it may take 10 working days to arrive and she accepted that this was a problem along with a lack of alternative methods and a widely held belief that Mac users outside the US feel like 2nd class customers.

KRO
Ali P

JimboHC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 08:01 PM

AliP: Did your Apple Store contact really acknowledge that non-US Mac users are treated as second class citizens!! I wonder if the employees feel like second class ones too!

It does seem as though Apple UK have now taken the complaints seriously and that is, at least, something. I wonder whether it was the volume of complaints from the UK or whether the number of emails to Apple US made them pick up the phone and find out what the hell was going on!

I'm still waiting for my Apple Store voucher as an apology!!!!

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 08:30 PM

Dear Mr Davidson,

Following your horrific ordeal at the hands of Apple UK, I have set my best consumer satisfaction team the task of working out how best to re-emburse you for your suffering. Their proposed solution is for Apple to send you a complimentary top-spec, dual 2gz G5. As a personal apology I would also like to include a 40gb iPod.

I hope this will ease the pain somewhat..

Yours,

Steve J.

..... I'm not giving up hope!! I'm checking Mail every 15secs...Now all I have to do is somehow prove this farce has given me agrophobia and erm a lifelong fear of squirrels...

(Here's to Panther arriving tommorow..)

swiftp
Oct 29, 2003, 04:52 AM

Postie's been. Nothing. I am hoping that there is a special parcel only delivery later this morning, it keeps me going!

Getting hacked off about this.

Paul

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 05:58 AM

Nothing here either, maybe I'm living in a Groundhog day and I will never recieve it???

I'm annoyed, but I've moved towards a more philosophical view of Panther delivery - it will come when it comes....

ninthart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 07:29 AM

Nothing here again, either. I'm not sure I want the bloody thing any more to be honest, especially after reading the tales of woe that are cropping up. I like my FW external HD working, thank you...

TomHMeredith
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 07:55 AM

It's here!!!!!!

TNT just delivered it!!!!!!!

Woooo!!!!!!

Hope everyone else gets it today.

Interestingly - the TNT sticker on it says they collected it on the 27th, not the 24th when Apple sent me an email saying they had shipped it......

Tom.

danbalsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by TomHMeredith:
It's here!!!!!!

Woooo!!!!!!

Hope everyone else gets it today.

Interestingly - the TNT sticker on it says they collected it on the 27th, not the 24th when Apple sent me an email saying they had shipped it......

Tom.
Tom, was that just your Panther order or did it include something else?

I didn't think they were being shipped via TNT?
Daniel Balshaw

- Neowin.net member ;)

Hamgard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 08:19 AM

Not a ripple here in SW - sometime maybe?

Now, when I placed the order I assumed that once card details had been confirmed the nice lady who took the details would call the warehouse, pass on the info to a storeman, who would pick up a box from the big pile and put it on a smaller pile marked 'Sold'. Someone from dispatch would collect, address, stamp it and drop it off at Cork's post office on the way home . But all this 'building' preppping' 'shipping' businesss hasn't workedd. Has it!

My new iMac got here uicker and that DID have to be built!

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by Hamgard:
Not a ripple here in SW - sometime maybe?

Now, when I placed the order I assumed that once card details had been confirmed the nice lady who took the details would call the warehouse, pass on the info to a storeman, who would pick up a box from the big pile and put it on a smaller pile marked 'Sold'. Someone from dispatch would collect, address, stamp it and drop it off at Cork's post office on the way home . But all this 'building' preppping' 'shipping' businesss hasn't workedd. Has it!

My new iMac got here uicker and that DID have to be built!

From the time Panther is taking to arrive, I think once you place your order, somebody takes a blank CD out to the warehouse where someone with really neat small handwriting carefully writes all the 1's and 0's on the underneath. He then checks it twice before handing it to another person who carefully hand-paints the top black. Meanwhile, another department is busy transforming old cereal boxes into Panther boxes using lots of sticky-backed plastic. Then they send it out for postage via a man on horseback...

That would also explain the "Being Assembled" message!

ninthart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 09:04 AM

It's here!!!!!!

Woooo!!!!!!
I'm happy for you Tom. But this does beg the question: why are some people's copies arriving via TNT while everyone else is stuck waiting for the striking postmen to get back to work?

TomHMeredith
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 09:07 AM

Hey

Sorry I didnt reply earlier, been busy installing..... Apart from setting my preferences and installing my applications, I'm done. (I did break for lunch).

I have no idea why it was delivered by TNT, but the van turned up and dropped of a little box. All I had delivered was Panther.

GTG, Software update wants me to restart....

Yours arrived yet? I'd call them up and give them hell.

Tom.

ninthart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 09:10 AM

Yours arrived yet? I'd call them up and give them hell.

Tom.
Hi Tom,

Actually, I'm on hold with the Apple Store UK right now, ready to give them hell. Seems like all of their agents are busy. I wonder why?

Hope Panther runs well and doesn't eat any FW drives!

swiftp
Oct 29, 2003, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by ninthart:
Hi Tom,

Actually, I'm on hold with the Apple Store UK right now, ready to give them hell. Seems like all of their agents are busy. I wonder why?

Hope Panther runs well and doesn't eat any FW drives!
Guys,

I just had a call from the Apple Store after I asked for a couriered version. They have now agreed and mine is on the lorry tonight. The Lady said that they were starting to question whether the posted ones were ever going to arrive.

I wouldn't give them hell,customer service people are trained to switch off until you calm down. I would point out how the delay is breaking their own statements and ask them to put it right. Most large corporation make mistakes as a matter of routine. Its how they make things better that marks out the ones that are really customer oriented.

I think that Apple have done a good job here in recovering from a bad situation (ie let down by their suppliers).

I hope you get satisfaction too.

Paul

ninthart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 09:21 AM

Me again.

Just got off the phone to Apple Store UK (Eire?) and the explanation was that if you ordered a 'full' copy of panther it would be coming via TNT. Which makes no sense at all, as I wasn't aware of there being an 'update' version (except for those in the 'up to date' program), and besides which, I did order a full version but mine was dispatched by post anyway. I get the feeling that the poor sods on the ends of the phone have no more clue about this massive ****-up than we do.

So it's back to waiting for the postman for me. But as I live in an area that's been massively affected by the wildcat postal strike (I haven't had *any* post since about the middle of last week), I'd better not hold my breath, eh?

Dave Abrey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 09:40 AM

Does anyone who's spoken to the Apple Store have a phone number other than the standard one listed on the web site? I've tried speaking to them, and all I get is "send an email" - no one will discuss it over the phone :-(.

Thanks,

Dave.

Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Dave Abrey:
Does anyone who's spoken to the Apple Store have a phone number other than the standard one listed on the web site? I've tried speaking to them, and all I get is "send an email" - no one will discuss it over the phone :-(.

Thanks,

Dave.
Don't know whether sending an email will help but it's worth a shot. I sent one asking for a copy to be sent via express courier early this morning, but no reply as yet.

Still, wait patiently I will.

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 09:42 AM

Nothing here again, either. I'm not sure I want the bloody thing any more to be honest, especially after reading the tales of woe that are cropping up. I like my FW external HD working, thank you...

Mine arrived three hours ago on a Post Office parcel van.

I've since installed both copies.

I did a wipe and install on my office iMac and an upgrade installation on my iBook. Both installations have been smooth and trouble free.

I have a LaCie 80Gb external firewire hard drive connected to the iMac.

After the wipe and install I reconnected the hard drive and it came up no trouble at all. So I would not worry too much about Panther eating your external drives.

Just remember to install Panther with no perhipherals connected at all. After reading all the horror stories I reverted to the standard Apple Keyboard and mouse for the installation so really the system had no excuse for cocking itself up.

After the installation and restart the perhipherals were all reconnected and the drivers for my Microsoft Wireless Optical mouse were put back on. There have been no problems at all with any of the third party widgets.

The security update downloaded itself and the system was restarted with all the stuff connected. Again everything came up fine.

Panther is chugging along beautifully. It's a classy system alright and seems to be everything Steve Jobs promised it would be and more besides.

( Last edited by The Shadow; Oct 29, 2003 at 10:11 AM. )

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by swiftp:
I think that Apple have done a good job here in recovering from a bad situation (ie let down by their suppliers).

I hope you get satisfaction too.

Paul
I take your point Paul. I agree they have done a good job in pulling this mess out of the fire.

I've been in there with everyone else right from the early days of this debacle and their attitude has completely changed from the
"tough luck pal - nothing to do with us mate" stance to-

"OK we've made a mistake and will try our darndest to sort it out for you".

I'd like to think that this is at least partly as a result of the fuss everyone on this thread kicked up.

I certainly have a bit more respect now for Apple UK than I did a few days ago.

I'll keep watching this thread.

Hope everyone gets satisfaction

Steve.

ninthart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Dave Abrey:
Does anyone who's spoken to the Apple Store have a phone number other than the standard one listed on the web site?
Dave - I used the 0800 0391010 number, and then just held on until I got to speak to someone. Make sure you're polite, though, otherwise it's the kiss of death...

ninthart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by The Shadow:
After the wipe and install I reconnected the hard drive and it came up no trouble at all. So I would not worry too much about Panther eating your external drives.
From reading all of the stuff about this in various places, it would seem that the problem stems from the first time you reboot the computer (not the post-installation reboot) with the FW drives attached. The current wisdom seems to be unmount and unplug the external FW drives before rebooting or shutting down, and then plugging them back in after the mac comes back up. YMMV.

Edit: Shadow, I direct you to http://www.macfixit.com and the current front page that has a summation of this problem. To be sure, it hasn't affected everybody, but I'm not sure I want to take that risk, y'know?
( Last edited by ninthart; Oct 29, 2003 at 10:20 AM. )

TomHMeredith
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 10:38 AM

So it's back to waiting for the postman for me. But as I live in an area that's been massively affected by the wildcat postal strike (I haven't had *any* post since about the middle of last week), I'd better not hold my breath, eh?
Same here, I'm beginning to forget what our postman looks like!

Panther still going well, although it has just started complaining that the batteries in my mouse are going low. Hopefully it's just a coincidence...

I still haven't had a reply to my email sent yesterday, and although I don't mind as much now it has arrived, an apology would still be nice. Oh well, can't have everything.

Tom.

Dave Abrey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 10:49 AM

Dave - I used the 0800 0391010 number, and then just held on until I got to speak to someone. Make sure you're polite, though, otherwise it's the kiss of death...
Thanks for that :-). It seems like some people in the call centre are more accomodating than others - this time, I got someone to actually talk to me about my order, but I'm afraid nothing other than "It's on the way via parcel post, allow 5-10 days, unprecedented demand, sorry you can't speak to a supervisor". Boo :-(. Oh well, I'll await the reply from the [email protected] people. I also just forwarded a copy to the [email protected] address listed earlier ;-). I'm not expecting any movement, but at least I feel a bit better :-).

Dave.

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 10:49 AM

From reading all of the stuff about this in various places, it would seem that the problem stems from the first time you reboot the computer (not the post-installation reboot) with the FW drives attached.
I've seen all the stuff on Macfixit and it was indeed with some trepidation that I rebooted the system with everything connected after Software Update had downloaded and installed the iTunes, iPod and security updates 10.29.03.

The Lacie hard drive had all my stuff backed up to it prior to the wipe out. I had DVDs with everything on and my iDisk had the most important mission critical stuff on it (5 years worth of lesson plans for instance)

However everything was OK on rebooting the system ( I rebooted a couple more times after reading your reply just to put my mind at rest).

I think that providing people are sensible and backup, backup and backup again before setting out on the upgrade path they should be able to recover from all but the most major disaster.

As it happens everything turned out fine, but I took every precaution possible just in case.

Steve

ninthart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by The Shadow:
However everything was OK on rebooting the system ( I rebooted a couple more times after reading your reply just to put my mind at rest).
That's good to hear. I'm pleased your system seems OK, and it's looking like there must be some co-inciding element that is causing these FW drive wipeouts (there's some speculation about iSights being a contributing factor). Whatever is the cause, I hope it doesn't affect anyone on here (including me, if I ever actually get it)...

Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 11:15 AM

Parky - are you out there?

What happened to your copy? Did you manage to cancel it after you released the can of woop-ass about trading standards?

I'd be very interested to find out.

iDean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 01:23 PM

One good thing has come from this, Following the responces from hundereds upon thousands of unsatisfied customers it is doubtful that they will repeat the mistake when 10.4 rolls round.

Cian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 01:31 PM

My copy of Panther was delivered on Monday, except no one was in to accept it, so it went to the collection office, where it has been stuck for two days, unreachable because of postal strikes. Arghhhh! Goes without saying, I am gonna avoid using the Apple store ever again because of this amateurish and shoddy service.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 02:28 PM

Yeh, postal strikes aren't helping

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 02:29 PM

Just heard on BBC no post for another week..Arghhhhh

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 02:33 PM

and now I hear the strike has spread to Oxford....bugger....It would have been quicker for me to go to Ireland, get Panther and walk/swim home...

ninthart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 06:12 AM

Welcome to the latest episode of the new soap opera that's gripping the UK's Mac fans: "As the Clock Ticks..."

In todays episode: It's 10:05 on Thursday 30th October, and Panther still hasn't arrived. With the postal strikes and the non-reply to e-mail sent to the UK Apple store, our hero's pacing has turned to a murderous sulk...

Will the Black Box arrive? Will Apple send a replacement by courier? Will the Postal workers go back to work? Or will a gang of enraged Apple users go 'postal' on them?

Turn in later if you can be bothered!

Remember to also tune into the brand new series here on MacNN: "When Oh When Is 10.3.1 Out?"

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 06:22 AM

If anyone still hasn't got Panther, I have a spare retail copy that I got through Uni after I bought one... (long story, but my order wasn't cancelled)

If anyone is interested in buying it (cheaper than from Apple), just drop me an email!

And I can send it by Special Delivery or courier too!

Peace,

Marc

(Based in Cardiff)

JimboHC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 06:26 AM

OK ladies and gets still waiting for Panther in the UK... How much am I bid for these *ahem* obviously original and not copied versions of the Mac OS X 10.3 CDs!!! Btw if anyone official is reading this, that is a joke, OK!

I cannot believe the set of circumstances that have conspired to make this (you would think) simple delivery item so damn difficult. I hope whomever took the decision to send this by parcel post is feeling suitably chastened now � I wonder if he/she knew about the impending postal strike � I mean it's not like it's been on the news recently!

All I can say to all you poor Pantherless people is that it is worth the wait. I've only installed it on my TiBook so far but it rocks a phat one (I think is what young people would say!). And my battery life has increased...

And I wish I had taken a bet on what would arrive first... Panther or the first SW Update for it... Man, I could have bought the Apple Store with the winnings!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules