Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 17" 1.33 Ghz RAM question

New 17" 1.33 Ghz RAM question
mdewberry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2003, 01:26 PM

Hi everyone,

Quick question regarding the new Powerbook 17" and RAM chips.

I had some issues regarding my 15" Albook, and after three returns to AppleCare for white spots and a crappy keyboard, the Apple Store allowed me to spend the extra $400 to upgrade to the new 17" powerbook. I LOVE it! I am so glad that I upgraded - it is definitely worth the extra $400.

The great person at Apple Customer Relations that I have been working with has offered to upgrade my RAM based upon all my frustration with my previous powerbook. Here is my question:

She stated that she could authorize the Apple store to install a 512mb RAM chip, however she is under the impression that the RAM is split apart in the powerbook with two 256mb RAM chips (one in each RAM slot), and since there are only two slots, I would only get an increase to 768 RAM (rather than 1 Gig).

When going into System Overview however, it displays the following for memory:

Location Type Size
SODIMM0/J20Standard DDR Ram 512 MB
SODIMM1/J23Reversed Empty

Does that mean there there is one 512mb chip in one slot, and the other one is empty? If so, that is great news, as Apple can put the new 512mb chip in the other slot and I will have 1Gig of RAM!

Thanks for any input!

Mike

SimplyLovemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2003, 02:21 PM

i also upgraded my RAM when i traded-in my PB 800 DVI for the current 17" 1.33 PB. I am still very trill and excited till today. You are right, you will have one free RAM bank for your 512 MB RAM upgrade.

Enjoy your new PB!!! Its cool!!!!

Jeffrey Jolando

Originally posted by mdewberry:
Hi everyone,

Quick question regarding the new Powerbook 17" and RAM chips.

I had some issues regarding my 15" Albook, and after three returns to AppleCare for white spots and a crappy keyboard, the Apple Store allowed me to spend the extra $400 to upgrade to the new 17" powerbook. I LOVE it! I am so glad that I upgraded - it is definitely worth the extra $400.

The great person at Apple Customer Relations that I have been working with has offered to upgrade my RAM based upon all my frustration with my previous powerbook. Here is my question:

She stated that she could authorize the Apple store to install a 512mb RAM chip, however she is under the impression that the RAM is split apart in the powerbook with two 256mb RAM chips (one in each RAM slot), and since there are only two slots, I would only get an increase to 768 RAM (rather than 1 Gig).

When going into System Overview however, it displays the following for memory:

Location Type Size
SODIMM0/J20Standard DDR Ram 512 MB
SODIMM1/J23Reversed Empty

Does that mean there there is one 512mb chip in one slot, and the other one is empty? If so, that is great news, as Apple can put the new 512mb chip in the other slot and I will have 1Gig of RAM!

Thanks for any input!

Mike
PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 Mhz, 1GB RAM,
80 GB HDD, Airport Extreme, Superdrive

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2003, 02:22 PM

Yep, that's the case with both versions of the 17" Powerbook. Another 512MB DIMM and you have a gig.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2003, 09:00 PM

ah! good for you! i'm still waiting for Crucial to get the 1GB chips in stock .... argh! was supposed to happen a few weeks ago.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 12:21 AM

To corroborate: yep, the Apple Customer Relations gal is incorrect. That's the way the memory is in the stock 15", but not the 17".

I'm quite surprised they allowed you to do this, and offered freebies to boot!

mdewberry  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 01:56 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the good news! Looking forward to moving up to 1 Gig of RAM!

iDaver, the Apple Store has been so helpful with stuff like this. It all boiled down to a really cool and sympathetic store Genius and Manager. They wanted to go above and beyond for great customer service. Also, the Customer Relations rep at Apple Care has been awesome. I just lot complete confidence in the 15"Albook quality. I am so HAPPY that I upgraded. I LOVE the 17" Albook. It is the best of both worlds - basically having a desktop that sits in your lap!

Forum Links
Forum Rules