Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > HELP! with Keynote timed transitions

HELP! with Keynote timed transitions
I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 12:20 AM

I know this has got to be possible, but I can't find it anywhere! Should be pretty easy too...

I need to apply an automatic timed transition to a selection of slides in a Keynote presentation.

Ex: Slides 10-20 automatically use selected transition after 10 seconds... so once you click on number 10, the next slide will automatically appear every 10 seconds until it reaches number 20.

So, how do I set this up?

Thanks

I Have Questions  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 04:35 PM

Bump... someboy's GOT to know this!

I Have Questions  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by I Have Questions:
Bump... someboy's GOT to know this!
Seriously... nobody???

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 10:17 PM

Actually, I do not think this is possible with Keynote 1.x.

I'm pretty sure each slide "build" requires a keypress.

A (not so good) workaround is to save the slideshow as a QuickTime movie. I believe with that, you can set a time limit per slide.

I have not, however, tried either of these features. So, I could be wrong.

There are several websites devoted to Keynote. Do a Google search and try one of those.

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2003, 11:46 PM

This is definitely not possible using Keynote alone and I do not know of any plug-ins...it also looks like keynote is not scriptable.

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2003, 08:32 AM

At the moment, it's not possible natively. We're all hoping that this is changed when a major revisions rears it's head, as it's a highly requested addition.

In the meantime, we're stuck with workarounds. Quicktime is one route, as you can edit the length of clips etc. pretty well. There's a freeware tool out there that allows you to set timed transitions, etc. and have it run automatically, but in the case you describe i don't know that it would do quite what you're looking for - it will run the entire show on a single set interval, rather than being able to adjust it on a per-slide or per-section basis.

Wish I had better news for you - but at this point all of our hands are tied waiting to see if this will appear in the next major rev.

-jb
http://www.KeynotePro.com - Keynote Themes for Professionals

I Have Questions  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by walrusjb:
At the moment, it's not possible natively. We're all hoping that this is changed when a major revisions rears it's head, as it's a highly requested addition.

In the meantime, we're stuck with workarounds. Quicktime is one route, as you can edit the length of clips etc. pretty well. There's a freeware tool out there that allows you to set timed transitions, etc. and have it run automatically, but in the case you describe i don't know that it would do quite what you're looking for - it will run the entire show on a single set interval, rather than being able to adjust it on a per-slide or per-section basis.

Wish I had better news for you - but at this point all of our hands are tied waiting to see if this will appear in the next major rev.

-jb
Thanks for answers. (Sigh) Back to PowerPoint.

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2003, 08:28 PM

You know, I was thinking about this one today. If you're doing a defined interval of time for each slide... you may be able to try something interesting.

What about setting up the slides as you need them, with the transitions, etc. as you want them. If you're using 1024x768 presentation, do this part in 800x600. Then export to Quicktime, non-interactive type (so it plays as a normal movie file) - at that point you define the time between transitions. Then pull that QT in to your presentation... so the whole thing runs without changing slides - a presentation (of sorts) within a presentation.

An extra step, but it also opens up some interesting possibilities...

-jb
http://www.KeynotePro.com - Keynote Themes for Professionals

I Have Questions  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by walrusjb:
You know, I was thinking about this one today. If you're doing a defined interval of time for each slide... you may be able to try something interesting.

What about setting up the slides as you need them, with the transitions, etc. as you want them. If you're using 1024x768 presentation, do this part in 800x600. Then export to Quicktime, non-interactive type (so it plays as a normal movie file) - at that point you define the time between transitions. Then pull that QT in to your presentation... so the whole thing runs without changing slides - a presentation (of sorts) within a presentation.

An extra step, but it also opens up some interesting possibilities...

-jb
Bingo! Worked like a charm, walrus! Thanks!

By the way, it was really simple to do. The slides were already in the presentation in the correct order. Selected the slides, cut, paste them into a new presentation, render QT movie with preset slide lengths, then dragged the movie into the original presentation. I didn't try and see if it would render if I just selected them without pasting them into a seperate presentation. That may have worked as well and saved a step.

Of course, as easy as that was, in PP, it's even easier, since you can define an automatic timer in the slideshow setup.

Forum Links
Forum Rules