Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Rollcall!

Rollcall!
Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 7, 2003, 12:50 AM

Time for another rollcall.
Drop in, say hi, let us know what your current project of choice is, list a full bio, post your picture...or not.

I'll start!

I'm Scott, my current project of choice is f@h, and I've run every project except d2ol.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 02:56 AM

Shaktai - I'm still lurkin when I'm not workin. Current project is D20L. Not much time right now for anything else.

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 04:20 AM

OneMacGuy (online handle for years, kinda sux compared to cool handles like Shaktai and ScottTheKing!)

Currently running Folding@Home and dFold. I am in two diff races bacause Folding@Home will not work from behind my firewall at work, so I run dFold there.

I ran SETI for years because it provided a decent screensaver for MacOS 8-9. When I joined the Team MacNN and learned about the other projects, I got hooked. I have run SETI, dFold, Folding@Home and D2OL. I am going to stick with Folding@Home for a while (until I pass Scott and Raven , yea right! ) They are TOOOOO far ahead to catch and they both always seem to find more computers in the closet (or on a friends desk when they are not there!)

U know, this used to be a VERY lively forum, but lately it has been REAL dead . Seems like about the time jbcool quit coming in, the place kinda got quiet. We need something to liven things up!!! Maybe that's why Scott started this thread?

DrBoar
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 04:50 PM

Started with SETI as so many others. The problem was that on the 6100/60 it hogged the CPU so bad it was hard to get back. Got into RC5 for a while but dropped out. Then fold@home but it was slow on my low end computers (allmost a month for one unit on a 7600/200).

Liked D2OL and raced all the way to third spot with only 4 computers but the hassle with clients that was so problematic with OS updates etc made me migrate to Ubero. I am now 50% of the total current work activity at Team Macnn

I might look into one of the two folding projects again. As two of my computers are stuck at 10.1.5 I am not to keen on projects that need 10.2 nor about those whose fancy graphics totaly drop the work rate on 200-400 Mhz CPUs

billybob128
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 05:29 PM

billybob128 like the name says started at seti got about 5-6 units dropped off bfore i changed to F@H and there im just about to move into the top 100 there all thanks to the new G5 does each part of one unit in 3mins!!!! hopefully soon ill move to the top 50 and so on but that will be a while

jarling
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2003, 07:43 PM

Started with Seti a long while back (it seems). I still run it on one or two OS 9 machines.

Put most of my effort into F@H and am slowly increasing production (and if we get a race together could probably find another, say 25-50 computers to throw on it )

When away from my internet connection with my laptop for a long time I run evolution@home, but that hasnt happened for a while (especially given the increased size of the units that F@H is giving out)

reader50
Administrator
Nov 8, 2003, 02:20 AM

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 01:32 PM

Been on the rc5 team for a couple of years now...did a little seti, btw scott negotiatons for use of my university's comp lab are still on going..havent given up yet heh.

Edit: hey what happend to my post count, used to be in the thousand, guess they subtract from inactivity

mikkyo
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 06:59 PM

Blah rah crunch blah...
Machines!!!
Rah Rah Blah!
I've done work units for just about every DC project that has come out for mac.
Raaa!!!
From the beginning with Seti, super mac tweaking with PopularPower(til they went under), then lots of tweaking for MacNN users wtih scripts and secret java voodoo on Ubero(which is dead - stop crunching for them!), RCXX blah blah win money! hah (at least they use the whole CPU), more scripting and tweaking distributed folding(please take advantage of the whole CPU or even half-the fast half and not just cycles), more blah more blah D2OL, yeah blah more rah F@H, ack phtttt! blah blah!
When I'm not off my rocker, or working to much to do anything else, I can get around to commanding a giant arsenal of machines, which is far less than my lazy coworkers(cobramac(not so bad as), macgeek4u) who can't seem to be motivated into setting up DC projects to run on their jillions of CPUs, even when I provide them with the scripts and preinstalls with their accounts..
Right now I have crap running F@H and D2OL, which are the most worthwhile projects in my most humble opinion - you can search on my name in the forum to see why I don't think much of the other projects.
So rah blah ya blah crunch munch raaa!!!!!!

oh and

<font color=red>RED</font><font color=blue>BULL</font>

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2003, 08:10 PM

Seti at Home, long gap, Seti at Home, big pause, DHome, 20,000 miles, now a bit of Seti again. Probably crunch there until I hit 1,000, then maybe start in somewhere else. Huh, seems I'm just crunching out of boredom...

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 09:51 PM

Been running SETI and RC5 off and on for about 3 years. Ran SETI all last fall and most of the spring until they started having trouble serving W/U's this summer, and I've mostly switched back to RC5, since their stats and W/U servers have been pretty stable lately. I still turn in a few SETI units now and then, bu I want to be able to run something that's trouble-free and will run 24 hrs. a day.

I'm CVREELAND in both projects, currently running:

Cube 450
Dual 1 Gig
single 1.25 Gig
iMac 800.

I'm trying to scrape up the cash fo a 1.4 Gig upgrade for the Cube.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

jedimstr
Nov 25, 2003, 11:59 AM

Started out with Seti ages ago with the Ars Technica Team...found [H]ardOCP, joined their efforts in F@H1 (helped them rise to #1), jumped to UD(Grid.org) for a long while (was #2 on the team in that one), jumped back to F@H2/3 for a long while, held our #1 spot... got boring... got pulled dragging and kicking into the Apple side of the fence... fully switched now with a nicely upgraded Cube (1Ghz Powerlogix upgrade, 1.5GB RAM, 120GB HD, SuperDrive, ATI7500, and soon a 23" CinemaDisplay on a weightless CinemaDisplayArm)....

Found the MacNN site and forums which have been a big help... and now I put my entire Distributed Computing Farm on Team MacNN's Seti@Home effort... currently fastest rising active user on the list... of course 15 headless AthlonXP/Durons & a few Intel machines (and of course my main machine, the PowerMac Cube) dedicated to Distributed Computing helps. Please forgive the heavy PC influence, but not about to throw away my farm just yet, at least not until they make the G5 XServe (then I'll get a few racks).
( Last edited by jedimstr; Nov 25, 2003 at 02:04 PM. )

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 12:07 PM

Still running RC5 on my work PC. I used to put a lot more boxes towards distributed computing, but I'm just not that interested these days.

If they ever come out with a G5-optimized client for one of the projects, I might run it on my dual.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Mike656
Nov 25, 2003, 10:19 PM

Started off running SETI back in 1998-1999 (pre mac days) on my p166. Now I run RC5-72 on my G4 466 (4.15 mkey/s) and a Athlon T-Bird 1GHz (3.45 mkey/s), unfortunatly the Motherboard in my P3 700 (1.75 mkey/s) just fried itself a week ago so im down just a little crunching power right now, but will soon be replaced with a 1.5 GHz Centrino notebook. Its also a possibility I might be getting a dual G5 machine in a month or two, anyone know how fast a dual G5 2 GHz runs rc5? And does rc5 take advantage of the 64 bit capabilities yet?

Forum Links
Forum Rules