Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Finding Nemo DVD has poor video quality.

Finding Nemo DVD has poor video quality.
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 11, 2003, 11:34 PM

Not impressive.

The menus are pixarla...errr...pixelated up the yin yang. The video in the menus are as bad as foreign bootlegs.

The movie itself is better but it's just merely OK.

Disappointing.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Nov 11, 2003, 11:38 PM

Looked ok to me.

And my TV is bigger and better

"Hello, what have we here?

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran

How are you watching it? On a tv or on your computer? I agree that some of the video looks pixelated on my PowerBook, but most of it looks fine. And the movie itself looks great.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite

that's too bad... i was looking forward to trying it out on our new Sony HD set. I guess i'll just have to go back to the old reference DVD, Monsters, Inc.

"I start fires!"

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2003, 11:51 PM

I guess we should be glad it is just the menus and not the MOVIE.

I did notice the menues on the full screen are a little crappy but that one is for kids anyway so who cares.

The screensavers are too die for!

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2003, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
How are you watching it? On a tv or on your computer? I agree that some of the video looks pixelated on my PowerBook, but most of it looks fine. And the movie itself looks great.
For a Pixar product, I'd hope the video were better. IMO, some of the menus are almost unwatchable. The movie is definitely watchable and is OK, but that's it. There are areas where you can really notice problems though (if you look for it).

Then again, I guess I'm not that surprised, since there are so many extras on each disc.

But previous Pixar/Disney discs have been better.

Hardware:

Panasonic RP91 progressive scan DVD player
Toshiba 34" 16:9 widescreen progressive screen TV.

Looked ok to me.

And my TV is bigger and better
Check out the menu transition with the circle of fish. Very pixelated.

I guess we should be glad it is just the menus and not the MOVIE.
But it is in the movie. Like I say, it's not bad, but it's not great, like I'd expect for a Pixar movie.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 11:59 PM

I STRONGLY STRONGLY DISLIKE/HATE the menu set up..being forced to watch all the crap before the movie starts.

It is like a flash website where you have no control and have to watch some idiot graphic designer's idea of fun before you get what you want.

The movie itself looked ok to me though.

I believe in "theory" DVDBackup software might get rid of that crap though so in theory that might be an answer.. only in theory of course.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
I STRONGLY STRONGLY DISLIKE/HATE the menu set up..being forced to watch all the crap before the movie starts.
Same. A few Asian DVD players allow you to skip that, but most of those DVD players have poor video quality.
I believe in "theory" DVDBackup software might get rid of that crap though so in theory that might be an answer.. only in theory of course
If you do it for your own use and you already own the disc, it's not illegal. It would work. I'm not sure I'd bother just for that though. Maybe if you need an copy so your kids don't destroy the original, it'd be worth it.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 12:09 AM

Don't have the DVD yet, however,about "Knickknack"

Original release:

DVD:

Who do they think they are, George Lucas?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2003, 12:13 AM

Yeah my DVD copy has crappy quality too.

But it's a pirate.

Hey the DVD release of Nemo isn't even on the radar yet Down Under. Screw that.

Maybe they'll iron out the bugs for the PAL release (in five months or so).

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2003, 12:13 AM

ReggieX:

She's smiling in the top picture but is sad in the bottom picture. I wonder why...

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
Original release:
Ah, nurbs.

Cipher13
Nov 12, 2003, 12:21 AM

Mine has perfect video quality... though it's a pirate. It's superb.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 12:26 AM

My copy is terrible - I keep seeing the edge of the Cinema screen, and its a bit wobbly, as if someone is just filming it in the cinema.

And to top it off, it didn't even have a printed case, and its on a CD not DVD!!

Bloody waste of $1.50 at the market.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2003, 12:51 AM

OK, for the record, this is not a bootleg. I got the Canadian release in the store.

Pixelated menu:

Screengrab from movie (with my added arrows on left):

What the heck is that on the left? Could it be that they simply made the DVD from a film print/negative, instead of the original digital version? You can also see the same effect on the right. I don't remember seeing this in the theatre (but then again I could have missed it).

Enlarged:

Besides the weird lines on the left, also note mild artifacts on/around the fish, esp. Nemo's dad. Not too bad, but it could be better.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 01:10 AM

Ya ok the menus look a little ~fishy~ on my Dual with 20" lcd also but the movie is fine so I am not going to get my panties in a bunch over it.

The screensavers look friggin sweet!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2003, 01:26 AM

OK. I'm not imagining it. Here are Bjoern Roy's initial comments (quoted at the AVS Forum):

"Yes, Toy Story 2 is the best effort yet from Pixar 'compression wise'. Finding Nemo obviously the worst (no surprise with this low bitrate). Monsters Inc is somewhere in between."

Also, posted in this Finding Nemo thread:

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 02:59 AM

"Poor video quality"? Are we talking real-world poor, or videophile examine-every-frame-with-a-microscope poor? A little perspective please.

Even many of the people who posted to that AVS thread think the DVD looks great.

A movie that is just a notch below "Toy Story" or "Monsters Inc." will still look better than 99.9% of DVDs on the market.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
"Poor video quality"? Are we talking real-world poor, or videophile examine-every-frame-with-a-microscope poor? A little perspective please.
Guess.

The menues are sorta crappy but the movie itself is great unless you do side by side crap like above.

Lando Griffin
Nov 12, 2003, 03:15 AM

Don't make a thread about this...people like me who own the movie are going to have a totally different (negative) view on the movie looking for video quality while watching it. Honestly, I haven't noticed anything yet.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2003, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
My copy is terrible - I keep seeing the edge of the Cinema screen, and its a bit wobbly, as if someone is just filming it in the cinema.

And to top it off, it didn't even have a printed case, and its on a CD not DVD!!

Bloody waste of $1.50 at the market.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2003, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
The screensavers look friggin sweet!
What sort of screensavers are there? Can you post any screens?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2003, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
Don't have the DVD yet, however,about "Knickknack"

Original release:

DVD:

Who do they think they are, George Lucas?
WHAT THE F*CK?

Just, why? What the hell is the point? Did they replace the sharks with whales as well? Or at least file it's teeth? Is anything replaced with walkie talkies?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2003, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Lando Griffin:
Don't make a thread about this...people like me who own the movie are going to have a totally different (negative) view on the movie looking for video quality while watching it. Honestly, I haven't noticed anything yet.
If you didn't notice it then that's great.

As for me, I noticed it within the first couple of minutes of the movie. I wasn't even looking for it - it was just obvious. It was quite disappointing.

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2003, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
WHAT THE F*CK?

Just, why? What the hell is the point? Did they replace the sharks with whales as well? Or at least file it's teeth? Is anything replaced with walkie talkies?
I was just thinking that

Yet I think that has to be a joke they better did not do that

please tell me the pics above are a joke
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by Naz:
I was just thinking that

Yet I think that has to be a joke they better did not do that

please tell me the pics above are a joke
No, they really did it. Possibly because the original came out as a short clip. When incorporated into a general release movie, it needs to closely adhere to the intended audience and themes of that movie.

She has had the tiny-tits instead of the boulder boobs since its release at the cinema. It's just not the same without them

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 09:21 AM

I've got a movie of the original somewhere - when I get home from work I'll find it and plop it up on my webserver for your enjoyment. Just promise not to overwhelm my bandwidth.

Oh, and the "blah blah blah" portion of the soundtrack is longer in the original. Overall, the first version is much more enjoyable.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2003, 09:29 AM

Interesting.

Looking at the screengrabs on my CRT monitor (with Rage 128) at work, the artifacts are less obvious. They are much more pronounced on my LCD monitor (with Radeon 9100) at home, and on my ISF-calibrated progressive scan TV (with progressive scan RP91).

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2003, 10:59 AM

I didn't notice poor video quality on mine.

It's my least favorite of the Pixar films. Probably because I'm a huge Pixar toy collector, and the Nemo toys are severely lacking the quality the Toy Story, Bugs Life and Monsters Inc. toys had (mainly due to subject matter, it's REALLY hard to make a toy fish that looks anything like the "gummi" quality of the movie fish.)
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
I didn't notice poor video quality on mine.

It's my least favorite of the Pixar films. Probably because I'm a huge Pixar toy collector, and the Nemo toys are severely lacking the quality the Toy Story, Bugs Life and Monsters Inc. toys had (mainly due to subject matter, it's REALLY hard to make a toy fish that looks anything like the "gummi" quality of the movie fish.)
Yeah, it's not my fave either, but mainly because of the story and voice acting. It's not as strong as the other movies IMO (although still pretty good).

That, and because I didn't think the video quality was that great, means that I won't be buying another copy.

I viewed and screengrabbed my GF's copy. Had the quality of the video been better I would have bought it myself too. But it isn't and so I won't.

petehammer
Senior User
Nov 12, 2003, 11:16 AM

Fromm DVDfile.com, the best DVD review place (IMO):
Disney and Pixar have teamed up to bring you Finding Nemo on DVD in a two-disc set that tries to be everything to everybody. Which is not an aim entirely lacking in nobility. Here we get THX-certified 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen and 4:3 "recomposed" full screen transfers, each on a separate disc. And no surprise, they look gorgeous. Colors are simply magnificent - deep blues, blistering oranges, lush greens and rich reds leap off the screen, perfectly saturated and free from any noise or bleeding. THe sense of depth here is often amazing - it is, literally, like looking at a fish tank. The image is sharp and detailed, with even the "dark" scenes flush with fine textures and no jaggedness or rough edges to destroy the illusion. Unfortunately, both of these discs are pretty packed, and if there looks to be a tad bit of fuzziness in some shots - and most of the video-based supplements are compressed to hell - one wonders if the image could have been improved even more had they dropped the full frame version and moved all the extras to disc two. Otherwise, Finding Nemo looks all-around wonderful.
Haven't seen the movie myself, in any form.
If after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say ["You're right, we were wrong -- good job"] -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush."
-moki, 04/16/03 (Props to Spheric Harlot)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2003, 11:29 AM

Unfortunately, both of these discs are pretty packed, and if there looks to be a tad bit of fuzziness in some shots - and most of the video-based supplements are compressed to hell - one wonders if the image could have been improved even more had they dropped the full frame version and moved all the extras to disc two.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Too bad on-the-fly pan-and-scan never took off. That would have solved the problem here. Just keep the movie widescreen, with flags for on-the-fly P&S for those who desire it, and move all the extra crap to the second disc.

Here we get THX-certified 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen
More evidence that THX certification is a complete waste of time.

And does anyone have any idea what those weird lines (highlighted by the arrowheads in the picture above) I saw are? I haven't seen an explanation yet.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2003, 11:43 AM

THX certification is only as good as the "to video" transfer. If that's the reason why it looks bad, then you're right. However, if they were given a bad master, it's not THX's fault. It wouldn't be the first time this happened (*cough*STARGATE*cough).

I popped it in over the weekend and I IMMEDIATELY noticed how bad it looked.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
That's exactly what I was thinking.

And does anyone have any idea what those weird lines (highlighted by the arrowheads in the picture above) I saw are? I haven't seen an explanation yet.
Its just banding from a tad too much compression.

-Owl

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2003, 11:54 AM

You have to admit the menus are pretty funny though.

And having the time on the highlight is a very cool idea.

-Owl

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2003, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Its just banding from a tad too much compression.
Is it? If you watch the movie it looks like a moving splotch. Could be just be colour banding I suppose though.

And having the time on the highlight is a very cool idea.
I don't understand. Which feature are you referring to? Are you asking me to post the time on the DVD so other people can see it?

If so I can do that when I go home. The Nemo screengrabs are from the first time we see Nemo (not the egg), before he goes to school.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2003, 12:03 PM

All DVDs have enough quality for me.

When I watched the Nemo DVD, I hoped it would become my favorite CG movie. The technology might have been the best, but the story was not too interesting, and the characters are too flashy for the short time they get on screen.

My favorite CG movie is Shrek, because it has a good story, and all the characters are well described*.

Shrek is so good in itself, that I verily oppose the production of Shrek 2. Why not another mythological tale?

wvx
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2003, 12:10 PM

I was shocked. I watched it last night on my iBook. The compression artifacts were awful. There was a halo around the clown fish almost through the entire film. I almost want to ask for my money back.

I thought it was just do to the nature of the colors and motion of the film... but I haven't seen bad MPEG2 like this in DVDs for a few years... at least on new releases.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2003, 12:20 PM

I first assumed that my video perception was humble. I liked the quality of the Nemo DVD.

But then I started to think: maybe your Sonys, Panasonics, iBooks have MPEG decoders of less quality than my $50 Cyberhome player

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 12:21 PM

I've not seen the DVD (nor the movie, for that matter) but I'd think that trying to compress Nemo must be devilishly hard: all the constant motion of close hues and particles on various depths of field all over the frame. This combined with all the stuff that's being shoved onto the DVDs, and I'd think, echoing Eug, that one version of the the film (widescreen or fullframe), itself, be on one disc, and all the other stuff on the second--or third if need be.

How do the scenes in the dentist's office compare with the underwater scenes in terms of quality?
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Nov 12, 2003, 12:22 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 7, 2004 at 12:55 PM. )

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Is it? If you watch the movie it looks like a moving splotch. Could be just be colour banding I suppose though.

I don't understand. Which feature are you referring to? Are you asking me to post the time on the DVD so other people can see it?

If so I can do that when I go home. The Nemo screengrabs are from the first time we see Nemo (not the egg), before he goes to school.
No no, when you Highlight different menu choices it shows how long that item runs.

And does ANYONE feel that some of the "bad quality" might be due to the fact that the fish are under water... In the scenes with the Fish tank, and the dentists office, the picture is much sharper...

-Owl

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2003, 12:56 PM

The quality in the Nemo DVD is a s good as the Jacque Cousteau films.

The blur is the realism of these computer graphics.

And the pixelation you pointed out, Eug, is not really pixelation, as defined by Adobe Photoshop. Pixelation (more technically, Mosaic effect) is the effect in NSFG's dick.

The artifacts you see in the Nemo menus are called Posterization, where you can see the individual colors of a "smooth" color gradient.

In the Nemo DVD, the smooth gradients are so big, flowy, long lived, and numerous, like in the "Tuna Swirl" menu, you will definitely see posterization. I'd think that the designers of MPEG-2 have not foreseen a movie like Finding Nemo.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
And the pixelation you pointed out, Eug, is not really pixelation, as defined by Adobe Photoshop. Pixelation (more technically, Mosaic effect) is the effect in NSFG's dick.

The artifacts you see in the Nemo menus are called Posterization, where you can see the individual colors of a "smooth" color gradient.

In the Nemo DVD, the smooth gradients are so big, flowy, long lived, and numerous, like in the "Tuna Swirl" menu, you will definitely see posterization. I'd think that the designers of MPEG-2 have not foreseen a movie like Finding Nemo.
Yes but it's only more reason to reduce compression, and move all the other junk to the second disc.

MPEG-2 can duplicate colour gradients fairly well, but usually only with high bit-rates and attention paid to the compression. eg. Colour gradients on those "superbit" DVDs can be quite good.

As for the Tuna swirl menu, that's just plain bad. It doesn't have much to do with colour gradients. Look at the white stripe on the fish at the lower left of the word "Sandy". I think this would be best called macroblocking (blockiness in high motion areas). Fortunately, it's just a menu.

How do the scenes in the dentist's office compare with the underwater scenes in terms of quality?
Actually, to be honest I haven't yet watched the whole thing. I had to quit part way through (ran out of time). I'll watch the rest this week.

There are no bugs to be ironed out. You've just been reading a bunch of ignorant/whiney/bitchy posts.

If you read the AVS Forum thread (which I read AFTER I posted this one), the general consensus is that the colours/detail overall are good (and I would agree), but the artifacting is quite noticeable because of the relatively low bitrates used.

This guy sums it up quite well in his post today:

"I loved the movie/DVD, the transfer is great, the color, details, etc, fabulous (completely digital, yay!) , but the MPEG2 compression is certainly not perfect. For me there was a noticable amount of artifacting in the high motion sequences, and some ringing in some of the more detailed scenes with a fair amount of motion. Personally and professionally I would have recommended encoding at a higher bit rate and booting all the extra content to another disk if necessary.

For what it's worth, I deal with video compression day in, day out for a living, we have 4 engineers dedicated to algorithm research, and many more on digital video implementations of various sorts. In most cases, compressing realistic water is harder to do than you might think!
"

hayesk
Nov 12, 2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
My favorite CG movie is Shrek, because it has a good story, and all the characters are well described*.
Really? It is your opinion, but I gotta say, I enjoyed Shrek the first time, but after that I didn't care if I saw it again. Jokes were a tad predictable, not that clever (the birds singing fading to eggs frying was the best joke in the movie, but once you've seen it, it loses its edge), and the story was just "ok". The movie didn't seem to have much "replayability".

I liked Shrek, but not as much as any of the Pixar films. I also liked Ice Age better than Shrek.

hayesk
Nov 12, 2003, 07:18 PM

I guess what everyone is saying is that there needs to be a Suberbit version of Finding Nemo.

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2003, 08:34 PM

lol, buy the pal version- they generally give us less extras, 1 disk as appposed to 2, its a winner. After all the bitchiness, I'm glad thats how I will be buying it

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2003, 08:45 PM

Over 100,000 Iraqis -dead. Over 200,000 Afganis - dead. and counting...
All dead based on lies fed to an uninformed public, to manipulate them into not seeing the true agenda. All dead in the name of protecting US interests. Not one single thing these hypocrites tells us is based on truth. Not one thing.

Aric
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
Really? It is your opinion, but I gotta say, I enjoyed Shrek the first time, but after that I didn't care if I saw it again. Jokes were a tad predictable, not that clever (the birds singing fading to eggs frying was the best joke in the movie, but once you've seen it, it loses its edge), and the story was just "ok". The movie didn't seem to have much "replayability".

I liked Shrek, but not as much as any of the Pixar films. I also liked Ice Age better than Shrek.
I'd have to say that Shrek is my favorite cg film so far too. The story was in my opinion was very good and the jokes were funny too. I think it's more of a grown up humor compared to the Pixar films. Both me and my wife love Shrek while my daughter loves nemo. Don't get me wrong, I've liked all the pixar releases so far and I actually like Nemo the best of them yet, probably cuz i like aquariums. Antz was the same way, more geared for older people compared to Bugz Life were it was totally a kids movie. I don't think Pixar/Disney would've allowed that scene where he's talking to the ants head that was chopped off in the battle.
Anyway, I can't believe some of you are bitching about the quality and some aren't going to buy it now that they hear there's jpeg artifacts or how they set up the freakin menu. If you look hard enough, you'll see artifacts on any dvd movie...

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2003, 09:30 PM

I hope that it's not true, because I just purchased the DVD yesterday.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Forum Links
Forum Rules