Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "free" Panther with new Mac in Estonia?

"free" Panther with new Mac in Estonia?
VEGAN
Senior User
Nov 12, 2003, 11:26 AM

I spoke with a friend of mine who bought a Mac just a few days AFTER Panther was released. But he still only got Jaguar.

The shop in Estonia he bought it said they know nothing

So, what should my friend do? Can he get a "free" Panther? Where should he call? E-mail?

Urgent!

m.brown
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by VEGAN:
I spoke with a friend of mine who bought a Mac just a few days AFTER Panther was released. But he still only got Jaguar.

So, what should my friend do? Can he get a "free" Panther? Where should he call? E-mail?

Urgent!
http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

VEGAN  (op)
Senior User
Nov 12, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by m.brown:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/
Maybe I'm barking the wrong tree, but it says "US" and "Canadian" customers there

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 04:50 PM

They should. Who do they buy from? Apple doesn't have an Estonian presence, and you guys aren't in the EU, but it still might be Apple Finland? Or directly from the US?

J

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2003, 03:54 AM

Huh, huh. He said eSTONEia!

Sounds like a job for bittorrent :-)
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

m.brown
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 05:12 AM

Maybe I'm barking the wrong tree, but it says "US" and "Canadian" customers there
You'll have to research - the up-to-date programme exists - so drop apple an e-mail, I'm sure they'll get back to you.

VEGAN  (op)
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
They should. Who do they buy from? Apple doesn't have an Estonian presence, and you guys aren't in the EU, but it still might be Apple Finland? Or directly from the US?

J
My friend bought it from a store that at least pretends to be an official distributer [http://www.mac.ee] but I don't know what is their real status with Apple.

The problem with Apple Finland [It's Finland specific problem] is that you can't pay over internet with a credit card that is not from Finland. For example, it's near impossible to buy tickets for concerts in Helsinki unless you go there and pay in cash.

mikerally
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 09:47 AM

Soon that will change, Estonia will be part of the EU in May 2004.

Hopefully then, people there will be able to buy directly from the Apple Store Europe, as there is free trade between all EU countries.

VEGAN  (op)
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by mikerally:
Soon that will change, Estonia will be part of the EU in May 2004.

Hopefully then, people there will be able to buy directly from the Apple Store Europe, as there is free trade between all EU countries.
Estonia is one of the most liberal in international trade. Therefore, free trade has been there with the EU countries like forever

The trouble now is that the Apple promotion ends in December, Estonia will be EU member in the spring...

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2003, 11:21 AM

I'm not one to support "piracy" i.e. copying over bittorrent (my retail Panther box is sitting next to me btw.) but if they shortchange you on this and your friend gets no decent response from Apple, then I would get the damn thing from someone. There are the occaisional stores that do things like this to make the odd extra buck but it's a damn burden in countries where the people are not exactly overflowing in cash.
weird wabbit

VEGAN  (op)
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
I'm not one to support "piracy" i.e. copying over bittorrent (my retail Panther box is sitting next to me btw.) but if they shortchange you on this and your friend gets no decent response from Apple, then I would get the damn thing from someone. There are the occaisional stores that do things like this to make the odd extra buck but it's a damn burden in countries where the people are not exactly overflowing in cash.
Thanks, but I really would like to make it legally. If for no other reason. It's his first Apple, and I don't want him to get a bad image of it all.

That's why I was asking if someone knew what to do in those cases [maybe from experience in other countries?]

Forum Links
Forum Rules