Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > if you had $35k to spend on a car...

if you had $35k to spend on a car...
milf
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 12:38 AM

Which new/used car would you buy?

I've always loved BMWs and I know I will eventually own one. I've falled in love with the 330CI and unless convinced otherwise will probably make the deal this weekend. I can't afford (better yet I'm not willing to spend the extra $$$ on) a brand new BMW, so I'm considering a 2003/2002 model.

Any good BMW websites? Does someone with extensive BMW knowledge know some of the primary differences between these year's models? What about between 2003 and 2004? Are there just minor cosmetic changes?

I found a BMW dealership asking 35,9k for a 2003 BMW 330CI, 14k miles, all of the packages...a GORGEOUS car. I think this might be the won...especially since the salesman said he could definitely offer some "wiggle room" on the price.

Any input is appreciated!
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 12:42 AM

BMW 3-series or Infiniti G35.

or a Honda S2000, if i were getting a second car

"I start fires!"

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Nov 14, 2003, 12:44 AM

Honda Acord GSX, then upgrade.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 12:45 AM

A4, Saab 9-5, or an Evo VIII.
Or maybe a Z4. Too many choices with 35k.

nerd
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 12:47 AM

A fully loaded Mini S. I want one but have to pay off the motorcycle first. Oh and the G5.

Brad

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 12:52 AM

A few forums to ask questions....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46/

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

....really good for asking newbie questions, cleaning/maintenence/upgrading/DIY/purchasing + "is this a good deal" type questions.

If you can find a 2001 M3 for that price, do it. It's a great improvement compared to the standard 3-series, which is also a very good car.

There are Classified boards on most of these sites that you can get a general idea on how good of a deal you are getting.

Good luck.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
Wow, what taste on this board ... my two favorites (seriously!!). The infiniti will be more trouble free in the long run, I would bet and technically out-specs the Bimmer -- but the BMW will probably be a better balanced car overall.

(sorry, M$ site)
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/ov...=10736&src=vip
lists the differences from 03 to 04 -- looks like a mild redesign and a 6-speed instead of 5-speed.

milf  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 12:57 AM

A fully loaded Mini S. I want one but have to pay off the motorcycle first. Oh and the G5
Not a big fan of the Mini. I drove one around (not the S) and the car had NO power. I did enjoy feeling like I was driving a go-cart tho. What type of bike? I just bought a 2003 GSX-R 750 this past summer. Sweet bike.

I've considered both the A4 and the Infiniti G35. I like the S4 better than the A4, but if I'm going that route, I might as well get a BMW. The Infiniti is a damn nice car. That's still a possibility.

Never much liked Saabs.

If you can find a 2001 M3 for that price, do it. It's a great improvement compared to the standard 3-series, which is also a very good car.
So an older M3 is still a better bet than a newer 330CI? Hrm.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 01:01 AM

BMW M3. No question about it.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by milf:

So an older M3 is still a better bet than a newer 330CI? Hrm.
If you can find one, test drive and see if you like it. M3 has better handling and much faster, but has a firmer ride (sport) and higher maintenence cost - example: it uses high end oil (10W60) about $7-12 a liter and you need about 7 liters per oil change. They recommend an oil change every 15,000mi.

There were also some engine recalls in some '01-early '02 builds. There was a recall and fix, but there were some major engine issues before the fix. The '01-'03 M3's have extended warranty due to this - 6yr/100,000mi regarding the engine.

Those earlier links also have related M3 boards. Ask lots of questions at those boards... they know a lot about these cars.

nerd
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 01:18 AM

Not a big fan of the Mini. I drove one around (not the S) and the car had NO power. I did enjoy feeling like I was driving a go-cart tho. What type of bike? I just bought a 2003 GSX-R 750 this past summer. Sweet bike.
That's why I would get the S, I would never consider the regular one. My girlfriend wants one and would settle for the non S, I had a hard time explaining why the car sucks without a supercharger.

I got a CBR954 this summer. I was very close to getting the GSXR1000 but I sat in the dealer for a half hour and not one sales person came up to me to take my money so I went to Honda. It was a tough decision between the 2 because I used to ride a 94 CBR600 so I knew the CBR but I like the raw power of the GSXR. The dealer helped me make up my mind on that one since they didn't even talk to me.

Brad

lawgeek
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2003, 01:42 AM

Cooper Works Mini S, BMW 3 series, Audi A4

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by cjrivera:
If you can find one, test drive and see if you like it. M3 has better handling and much faster, but has a firmer ride (sport) and higher maintenence cost - example: it uses high end oil (10W60) about $7-12 a liter and you need about 7 liters per oil change. They recommend an oil change every 15,000mi.

There were also some engine recalls in some '01-early '02 builds. There was a recall and fix, but there were some major engine issues before the fix. The '01-'03 M3's have extended warranty due to this - 6yr/100,000mi regarding the engine.

Those earlier links also have related M3 boards. Ask lots of questions at those boards... they know a lot about these cars.
If you can find a 2001 M3 for under $35k you should jump all over it. My friends 1999 M3 is still value at around $29-33K.

My friend also says that he's driven both the M3 (obviously since he owns one), and the 330CI sport and the 330CI sport has a similar suspension to the E36 M3 and the new E46 M3 has a much firmer ride than the E36.

And you find a 2001 M3 it should still be under warranty and for a few $thousand more you can get a 100k warranty. And the oil is not too much of a problem cause labor at BMW is more the issue. If you wanna change your own oil places like turnermotorsports.com have the reset indicator tool as well as the oil that is needed.

And just for reference. The E36 M3 is from 95-99, and the E46 is from 01 onwards.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 01:57 AM

Agasthya,

I checked that site. Didn't find the 10W60. How much are they selling it for.

You are right about the warranty, and "recommended" oil changes are covered every 15000mi. I think that's a bit long, so I'm gonna change the oil at 7500 to be safe (wouldn't need to reset the oil counter until after the warranty is up)

milf  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 02:00 AM

If you can find a 2001 M3 for under $35k you should jump all over it. My friends 1999 M3 is still value at around $29-33K.

My friend also says that he's driven both the M3 (obviously since he owns one), and the 330CI sport and the 330CI sport has a similar suspension to the E36 M3 and the new E46 M3 has a much firmer ride than the E36.

And you find a 2001 M3 it should still be under warranty and for a few $thousand more you can get a 100k warranty. And the oil is not too much of a problem cause labor at BMW is more the issue. If you wanna change your own oil places like turnermotorsports.com have the reset indicator tool as well as the oil that is needed.

And just for reference. The E36 M3 is from 95-99, and the E46 is from 01 onwards.
The M3 has always been my dream car, but they're usually just out of my price range. I've seen 02 M3s going for 40k+, but I can't put forth that much money at this time.

BTW, thanks for the E36/E46 clarification. I was wondering that as I read thru your post. I definitely like the newer body style better.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 02:21 AM

Agasthya,

I checked that site. Didn't find the 10W60. How much are they selling it for.

You are right about the warranty, and "recommended" oil changes are covered every 15000mi. I think that's a bit long, so I'm gonna change the oil at 7500 to be safe (wouldn't need to reset the oil counter until after the warranty is up)
Apparently you have to contact Turner personally. The website shows 5W30 Longlife Synthetic but under that they say that the E39 M5 and E46 M3 require special oils and contact them for more info.

And the service indicator needs to be reset every time you the lights go to yellow...nothing to do with warranty

Also, I misunderstood what you were sayin'...but the indicator lights indicate the usage on the engine...if driven econo it can be as much as 15,000 and as little as 5,000 if the car is raced...the lights are based on engine conditions not necessarily on just miles. Feel lucky, my friend's E36 gets changed every 2,500 or so miles. No special oils for him
( Last edited by Agasthya; Nov 14, 2003 at 02:27 AM. )

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 02:49 AM

New Acura TL.
I, ASIMO.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 03:07 AM

If I had that kind of cash just to buy an auto, I'd fly over to Russia and try to locate the other Mercedes 770K that must be floating around there and try to work out the bargain of the decade.

Seriously, do I have to buy one car? I'd rather buy a pair of Toyota Echos. Or perhaps a Mercedes station wagon with a custom metal flake purple paint job.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

Truepop
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 03:39 AM

Subaru WRX STI.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2003, 04:24 AM

today, it's this.

tomorrow it might be something different.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 06:50 AM

Yes - you could buy a new Elise for that (+ a few tuning extras) - At least you can in the UK - Not sure what they cost in the US.

The Boot (trunk) is about the size of a large shoebox though.
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

faragbre967
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 08:07 AM

Audi A6

Yose
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 08:33 AM

I would by a cheap efficent car like an Echo then put the rest into a downpayment for a house. 35K is to much to waste on something that loses so much value that quickly.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 14, 2003, 08:41 AM

If I also had the money for insurance and keep up, I would get a used recent Porsche 911.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Yes - you could buy a new Elise for that (+ a few tuning extras) - At least you can in the UK - Not sure what they cost in the US.
Not sure you can get the Elise in the US... I thought they didn't have airbags?

Anyways. To the OP... Go BMW 3.

I wouldn't go M3 if it's going to be your only car 'coz they ride a bit too hard for regular use - after a long drive you'll be needing a new backside.

A couple-years old 330i will do you fine. Best model of recent years is the 330D (yes, the diesel - massive mid range urge) but you probably won't be able to pick one of those up given the US's aversion to oil burners.

A 3 will give you a more exciting time than an Audi, which tend to be a little boring to drive (even though they're sweet, sweet things). Depends on what you want out of it.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 09:38 AM

Acura TL 2004. Best value for the money. All features are standard in the car, and yet it costs $8,000 less than a comparable BMW

DBursey
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 09:51 AM

I may be picking up one of these:

I test-drove it a few weeks ago and really liked the feel! The Murano handles nicely, and the response of the engine as coupled through the CV transmission is quick, smooth and quiet. The interior is roomy and nicely laid out. The exterior design and styling has grown on me.

macroy
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Not sure you can get the Elise in the US... I thought they didn't have airbags?
There's an exotic/chevy dealer in my area (Potomac, MD). I asked them about the Elise, it is coming out next year. The base price is around 38K, option prices have not been released. 1K deposit will buy you a spot on their wait list (currently ~75), and delivery would be expected at 4q/2004 or 1q/2005

I recently test drove a M3 with SMG (actually looking at the 545, but wanted to see how the SMG worked) - that car is beautiful. But yea, the maintenance costs is pretty high (according to the salesman).

However, for 35K I definitely go for the TL (assuming you're looking at something on the practical end). I own a 00 model and love it.

BTW, cjrivera - BMW's warranty will not cover oil changes between cycles. So it would be on your dime.

dav
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 10:30 AM

g35
one post closer to five stars

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2003, 10:38 AM

Saab. No question. Great car, better mileage than a friggin Saturn Ion. I like them.

More like as not, though, I'd just get the best hybrid I could for 35k.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2003, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by DBursey:
I may be picking up one of these:

I test-drove it a few weeks ago and really liked the feel! The Murano handles nicely, and the response of the engine as coupled through the CV transmission is quick, smooth and quiet. The interior is roomy and nicely laid out. The exterior design and styling has grown on me.
the lower frint end on those means less rudeness for the rest of the folks driving around it. I don't mind the way they look, either. MIleage, though. Feh.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by buffalolee:
Acura TL 2004. Best value for the money. All features are standard in the car, and yet it costs $8,000 less than a comparable BMW
I will second this. I came close to plunking down hard-earned $$ for one of these a couple of weeks ago when I test drove one. It is a beautiful car inside and out. In the end, I decided to spend a little less and get the new TSX. Not as roomy as the TL, but also comes with pretty much everything standard except for DVD navigation. It's a real joy to drive on the highway to/from work everyday. I'd recommend looking at one of these too.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by macroy:
BTW, cjrivera - BMW's warranty will not cover oil changes between cycles. So it would be on your dime.
yeah, I know, that's why I'm gonna start doing tthem myself at 7500 (in between the recommended changes that are covered)

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 11:07 AM

Did anyone notice that this is a car thread, and there's not any petty bickering about "XXX car sucks" or "XXX car is the best, anyone that buys anything else is a #?$%^& idiot"?

... or did I just jinx it?

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 11:19 AM

Did anyone notice that this is a car thread, and there's not any petty bickering about "XXX car sucks" or "XXX car is the best, anyone that buys anything else is a #?$%^& idiot"?

... or did I just jinx it?
That is because xxxx68 has yet to participate.
I, ASIMO.

deekay1
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 11:29 AM

'nuff said!

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
That is because xxxx68 has yet to participate.
now, now....
I wasn't finger-pointing or implicating anybody. It's just that everybody usually gets very vocal in the lounge when it comes to certain subjects (cars, politics, religion). It was just an observation.

....you troublemaker!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 11:49 AM

I love the new Acura TL.

It's a really nice car. The navigation system is excellent, leather seats are standard, and it has 270HP, so it really moves.

If I were buying a new car right now that's what I would want.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 11:50 AM

I would wait until January when Chevrolet releases the C6 Corvette, then pick up a used 2002 Z06. Best bang for buck you can get. No question.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:
I would wait until January when Chevrolet releases the C6 Corvette, then pick up a used 2002 Z06. Best bang for buck you can get. No question.
If you enjoy going in a straight line

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
I'm waiting for my new G35 (black, with nav) to arrive from the factory. It should be here before the end of the month.

I have had four Infinitis and they have all been absolutely trouble-free. The last two times I was in the market, I didn't seriously consider anything else.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 12:31 PM

Audi A4. Oh wait Well, it's not technically mine but I get to drive it when I'm in the country. There's NO point whatsoever in owning a car in NYC, if I had gone to a country college I would have made an investment, maybe in a '98 A4 or GTI.

The Infinity G35 has been growing on me lately as well.

willed
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 12:34 PM

Not a big fan of the Mini. I drove one around (not the S) and the car had NO power. I did enjoy feeling like I was driving a go-cart tho.
Well there's quite a difference between the Mini One and the Cooper S The 'One' is a town runabout for girls. The S is like a go-cart, but with a jet engine strapped on...ish

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 12:45 PM

Hmm.. wait... I'd buy an '04 Mini S as long as they've sorted out the reliability problems from the introductory run. Those cars have style and good gas mileage to boot.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
I'm waiting for my new G35 (black, with nav) to arrive from the factory. It should be here before the end of the month.

I have had four Infinitis and they have all been absolutely trouble-free. The last two times I was in the market, I didn't seriously consider anything else.
My neighbor has a G35 and let me take it for a drive (on the condition he could drive my car).

It is really a very sweet car. Handles great, very good acceleration. Very nice interior.

I had looked into it when I was getting a new car, but there wasn't a convertible option at the time, and the back seats were cramped, even for small kids.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2003, 01:01 PM

I mulled this decision over last year, and I bought an `01 M3 (got a "sweetheart" deal on it at $39K). It's an awesome car with "OMG" power and beautiful workmanship. No, it's not my only car, I have a `92 Accord beater for work, concerts, etc.. But I drive the M3 everywhere else, including road trips, and the ride's not nearly as harsh as some would have you believe. It's very smooth and comfortable on highways/freeways. It's not, however, suited to backroads.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

bbcclo
Nov 14, 2003, 01:26 PM

Does someone with extensive BMW knowledge know some of the primary differences between these year's models? What about between 2003 and 2004? Are there just minor cosmetic changes?
You've come to the right place my friend!
I actually work in the marketing department for BMW Group Canada.
So if anyone has any questions about either BMW or MINI, message me.

Here are the only differences between 2003-2004 330Ci models:
- 6-speed manual transmission is now standard.
- Automatic headlamps.
- newer selection of rims.

Other than that the car is cosmetically the same as last years.

These are true for the cars in Canada, so the US should be similar, but don't quote me 100% (i'm still only an intern working at BMW).

Also, be sure to check out www.bmw.ca !

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2003, 01:40 PM

Another vote for WRX STI. My friend almost got one but insurance on that here in NJ was outrageous.

Acura TSX is nice as well.The Bimmer is also nice as well. Depends what you want the car to do. Just drive or is it more all purpose? How bout Audi A6 or S4?

I got my Dream car. If the Bimmer is something you've always wanted and you can afford it get it.

My dream Car was always the VW GTI VR6. I got a 2001 in Black when I needed a new car. My next car will either be a WRX or if I can swing one I'd love to get the Toureg.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by bbcclo:
[B]You've come to the right place my friend!
I actually work in the marketing department for BMW Group Canada.
So if anyone has any questions about either BMW or MINI, message me.
]
Is there anyway you could cut a fellow MacNNer a break and find a way that I could get the Canada/Europe 3-series alarm for convertible (that comes with motion sensors) for my M3 cab? The US cab alarms don't come with the motion sensors, but the coupes do.

milf  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 02:06 PM

This is what I want!

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a car in Canda, but have it delivered in the US. Supposedly their are options available to the Canadian BMW line, but not the US line.

Would BMW sell its 2004 line of rims and would the fit the 2003/02 line? I love the rims on the above car. Is there a page out there with pictures of BMWs rim selection for the 330ci?

Forum Links
Forum Rules