Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Lacie Pocket hard drives

Lacie Pocket hard drives
sovereign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 02:13 PM

I am looking at the Lacie Pocket drives for data backup and video. Is it possible to record direct to a Pocket drive from a DV camera? Is the drive fast enough? Does anyone have any feedback on these? Also, does anyone have a link to any forums on digital video? Thanks.

sovereign  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2003, 10:13 PM

Has anyone used a Lacie Pocket drive for any purpose? Any opinions?

King_Rat
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 10:49 PM

Sorry, I can't say that I have. The only 'pocket' hard drive that I have is my ipod, which is great. Hope that somebody can help you...
-King Rat

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2003, 11:08 PM

the pocket hard drive is big, much bigger than the ipod. I just bought a firewire case and put in my original 6gb hard drive from my old pismo. Even that is much smaller than the so called pocket hard drive.

And this hard drive is very expensive too.

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2003, 12:32 AM

I agree with Hardcat - you'll get a much better solution (cheaper, too) by purchasing an external firewire case and a 2.5" drive seperately.

I heartily reccomend the Sarotech Cutie enclosure.

http://www.sarotech.com/cgi/main_eng.cgi?cmd=main

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Nov 15, 2003, 03:35 AM

I use a Pocket Drive and I'll say that it is a nice drive. USB 2.0 and FireWire connections and the power adaptor isn't needed when using FireWire. The case design is nice but not quite small enough to fit into a pocket.

As for speed, remember that the low-end models have 4200rpm drives and that's probably not quite as fast as you'd want to feed a live DV signal onto. But they do have faster models. Check out the specs at LaCie and fire them an e-mail with your questions.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 04:39 AM

Originally posted by sovereign:
I am looking at the Lacie Pocket drives for data backup and video. Is it possible to record direct to a Pocket drive from a DV camera? Is the drive fast enough? Does anyone have any feedback on these? Also, does anyone have a link to any forums on digital video? Thanks.
Doubt that you can record directly from DV camera to ANY external drive. The cameras just don't typically have the smarts to initiate the drive accesses.

Instead, I would expect that you will need laptop/desktop to "pull" the digital video from the camera (e.g., iMovie) and save on drive.

HTH.

Forum Links
Forum Rules