Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" PowerBook - Apple Uses 2 Different Screens?

17" PowerBook - Apple Uses 2 Different Screens?
zengravy
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 11:23 AM

I'd like to hear from all 17" PowerBook owners on this one, particularly owners of the 1.33GHz. model as that's where I noticed it.

My wife's new 1.33GHz. 17" has the most beautiful screen I've ever seen on a laptop - crisp and clear, with the perfect amount of contrast and a white that's, well, pristinely white and bright. I've been using a 1GHz. 17" and noticed that its screen looks almost dingy by comparison - the white is murky, even perhaps a bit yellowish or eggshell, and the brightness isn't even close. It also seems as if there is more contrast shift as my viewing angle changes, that is it seems like portions of the screen "wash out" more readily than others.

Thinking it was perhaps an upgraded LCD component, I began to consider whether I should sell the 1GHz. and move up to the 1.33 model. Eventually I did so, but was very disappointed to learn that my 1.33 has the same "type" of screen as the old 1GHz. - nowhere near the color fidelity, brightness, and contrast of my wfie's 1.33.

So, I put it to my fellow MacNN readers: is there a rhyme and reason to the above? Does Apple use two different manufacturers for the 17" PowerBook? Is there anyway to distinguish the use pattern? My 1.33 is from week 36 (serial starts with V7336) whereas my wife's machine is from week 39 (serial starts with V7339). Did they start using a different LCD after a certain week? Was I just unlucky enough to get a box that had been sitting in a corner for a month?!

Also of note is that her machine uses a Fujitsu hard drive whereas mine uses the Hitachi (both the standard 4200 RPM 80GB model). Perhaps there are different assembly plants? I don't know if that's the case since, apparently both machines came from the Taiwan plant... unless there's more than one there...

I'd like to hear from my fellow 17" owners on this issue? If possible, compare your screen to other 17" models and see if there is a difference. If they are all bright white and have super brightness/contrast, perhaps mine is just funky and needs to begin the Great Airborne Journey to Houston...

Zen

zengravy  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 04:15 PM

Ayone out there?
--
you cannot enter a place that you never left.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2003, 04:57 PM

tried adjusting your gamma?
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

zengravy  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 06:09 PM

Yep. I've tried to calibrate the display using the built-in calibrator and SuperCal to no avail. When placed side-by-side, these two screens look qualitatively different than one another.

One displays a much "whiter" white that no amount of white point setting alteration will affect. The brighter, higher contrast screen just has more "pop" to the image, whereas the other looks positively washed out in comparison.

I've seen threads on serial numbers indicating certain characteristics before, and I know that the 4th and 5th digits indicate week of build. Are there any other tidbits of info that one can gather from the serial number?

Does no one else see a bit of a washed out quality on their 17? I'm starting to think I just got a bum unit, although the old 1GHz. model looked the same as the "flawed" one, perhaps even a bit more dull...
--

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2003, 06:24 PM

well, i've got a week 36 unit, same hard drive as you, but i have nothing to compare it to for analysis ...

i can say that my screen is considerably 'brighter' than the viewsonic PF790 that i plug it into ... but i cannot comment as to the quality compared to a newer PB screen ...

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 06:27 PM

i too have noticed this phenomena between 12" PB screens...

I compare mine to 2 other buddies 12" PB and of the three. my friends 12" PB is duller...regardless of settings...i own a RevA and the dull one is a RevB...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

zengravy  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 06:28 PM

When you look at a blank TextEdit document, for instance, what "type" of white would you say is displayed? When I look at my screen, it's like a warmish white, vs. the other machine where it's more of a bright, bluer hued white. I also see a sort of metallic sheen from the surface of the screen if I look at it and move my head slowly. The other machine doesn't do that - it's just white and that's it.

Maybe I should try and get some pics to illustrate the difference?
--

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2003, 10:51 PM

It's very common for a PC manufacturer (Apple included) to use more than one LCD brand (manufacturer) for the same notebook. You never know which one you get as they use them randomly and they will always look different (color/contrast, etc). The only thing they have to have are the same viewing angles, viewable colors and of course resolution - everything will vary by manufacturer.

I never really cared for the display on the 17" model (1GHz) and I've never seen the display on the 1.33GHz model so I couldn't compare. The 17" PowerBook displays that I've seen in various stores have all looked like the 17" iMac display which to me looks a bit bland and washed out. Still a great LCD, just not stunning (which you'd expect in a notebook that large).

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 02:00 AM

agree with most of the above..

Apple is charging top dollar for their notebooks, but they are using 2 year old technology for their TFTs...

not even the top of the line 17" PB has a TFT that can match the mid-level, or entry level Sony VAIO screens...

The 17" resolution also sux...

I challenge anyone to use a Sony VAIO X-Brite screen for a day and you will be forever dissapointed in your recently purchased PB screen...

This is the only thing holding me back from grabbing a 17" PB right now...the resolution, and the poor overall specs of the screen...

But if I can find a used 17" PB at a good price then so be it...I am in...

However, my 3 year old AMD K6-2 Toshiba notebook's TFT is brighter than my 12" RevA, this is completely wrong....

Apple Please Update your screens in the next revision...

PS: This will never happen , I know....
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules