Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > WTF? Delete key generates a "5"

WTF? Delete key generates a "5"
ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2003, 10:26 PM

Every time I visit my parents for the holidays there's something new and bizarre wrong with their mac. This time the "delete" key is generating a number "5" instead of deleting. It's really annoying and multiple restarts, plugging and unplugging the keyboard, etc. have not solved it. Anybody know how to fix this?

Specs:
Powermac G4 450 mHz
OS X 10.2.8
Macsense blue ice USB keyboard

Happy thanksgiving to all!
Eric
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

Seqiro
Nov 26, 2003, 10:32 PM

Have you tried a different keyboard?

As a support technician, I've often found that when these symptoms occur, it means that the user entered something into the keyboard that they weren't supposed to, such as a bottle of water.

ericwass  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 27, 2003, 12:48 AM

Yeah, I thought of that. But, unfortunately there're no other USB keyboards around. And it started happening in front of my eyes with no foreign objects or liquids inserted into the keyboard. I don't think it's a hardware problem. But, I must admit, I'm stumped.
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2003, 12:54 AM

what does the "5" key spit out? try slamming both at once and hitting them...hehehe :-) thats what i would do.anything from universal access on? different keyboard layout?
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

Seqiro
Nov 27, 2003, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by ericwass:
Yeah, I thought of that. But, unfortunately there're no other USB keyboards around. And it started happening in front of my eyes with no foreign objects or liquids inserted into the keyboard. I don't think it's a hardware problem. But, I must admit, I'm stumped.
Go to the nearest store with a good return policy like a Circuit City, pick up a USB keyboard, and test it out.

I can't think of any layout where the 5 would be where the delete key is. So while I'd definitely check that, it seems highly unlikely to me. It's probably a mechanical failure.

ericwass  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 27, 2003, 02:44 PM

Unfortunately they live in the boondocks. The closest Circuit City or equivalent is about 2 hours away. However, the problem seems to have fixed itself. Who knows why? Thanks for your suggestions. Happy Turkey Day!

Seqiro
Nov 27, 2003, 02:58 PM

Glad you resolved it.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2003, 03:21 PM

There was a problem with Panther and capital A's earlier. I think it was related to having some kind of key re-mapping software installed. I think reinstalling it fixed it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

graffix
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2003, 02:38 AM

The problem could also be related to keyboard switching, which I believe is activated with 'command-space' (an easy combination to hit). Chances are the keyboard had switched to another keyset (language) which remapped the keys to different codes, and with 'English' still being the primary language displayed (rather than Arabic or whatever) delete was displaying a '5'.
Perhaps this is the way it fixed itself also...
You may want to check the international prefpane to see if there's any other language inputs enabled than just English.
This may not be the problem, but I figured I'd add this in for people doing a search for similar problems in the future.
HTH
First there was man, then there was Macintosh

Forum Links
Forum Rules