Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > ShapeShifter won't theme.

ShapeShifter won't theme.
christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 10:35 AM

Why is that ShapeShifter won't apply to "AboutThisMac" box and "Shutdown/Restart" box ? "AboutThisMac" box and "Shutdown/Restart" box still looks shitty Aqua. I do not like Aqua, it's crap. What's the DEAL? It doesn't make sense @ all. If I'm going to PAY $20 in 8 days, I total EXPECT ShapeShifter to theme ALL of the "dialog boxes", as Duality and ThemeChanger have done, you know what I mean? I'm "ONLY" getting ShapeShifter because of BBX Omega.

PowerMac G4 [ original ]
350 Mhz
704 ram
OS X 10.2.8
Shinobi theme

p.s. William, you better make BBX Omega so awesome [laughs].

Christian

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 11:12 AM

All of those images are loaded at boot from the extras resource file. SS loads from memory after boot time with per user theming. It can't skin those images. You could load them with themechanger and a dtla though....

christianclark  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
All of those images are loaded at boot from the extras resource file. SS loads from memory after boot time with per user theming. It can't skin those images. You could load them with themechanger and a dtla though....
Thanks. That's kinda sucks.

Christian

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2003, 11:50 AM

hmm perhaps installing it on your root account would do it, but that could be very dodgy

Roderick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2003, 12:45 PM

SS won't work logged in as root. No APE module will work as root, unless it'an old version of APE, the new one does not affect root processes anymore.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 27, 2003, 12:55 PM

Those are things which SS is intentionally not altering for stability reasons I believe smeger said. We were a little jarred at first but if you really look at the ATM window and stuff like that alot there are ways to do it still. The benefits of SS far outweigh not changing these things.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Roderick:
SS won't work logged in as root. No APE module will work as root, unless it'an old version of APE, the new one does not affect root processes anymore.
kinda thought that, i was talking theoretically mostly

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Those are things which SS is intentionally not altering for stability reasons I believe smeger said. We were a little jarred at first but if you really look at the ATM window and stuff like that alot there are ways to do it still. The benefits of SS far outweigh not changing these things.
Didn't I hear someone saying that the "about this mac window" may be themeable in later versions of SS? It's no big deal though. The only thing I care about is some text color things right now.
click one

Roderick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
kinda thought that, i was talking theoretically mostly
Kind of sad in fact, if you have users with root privileges and you have to work with them
for at least a few hours every day, no haxie works then.

Meh.

Should be an option or something.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2003, 04:58 PM

I suppose brave themers could include that stuff in an installer for the 'entire Mac' experience, or supply a 'use at your own risk' set of resources for manual swapping. I prefer to stick with what SS will touch (save me from any responsibility when clueless users fub the system).

Roderick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
... or supply a 'use at your own risk' set of resources for manual swapping.
'Use at your own risk' - I like that. Definitely they should add that.

I mean, I don't think I have used a browser that it's not a "risky beta" in four or five years at least, just to name one thing...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
I suppose brave themers could include that stuff in an installer for the 'entire Mac' experience, or supply a 'use at your own risk' set of resources for manual swapping. I prefer to stick with what SS will touch (save me from any responsibility when clueless users fub the system).
That might be cool. I don't care that much about the boot screen, bootimage, or "About This Mac" it's not like you look at them that much.
click one

christianclark  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
That might be cool. I don't care that much about the boot screen, bootimage, or "About This Mac" it's not like you look at them that much.
You don't understand. You need and feel the whole eperience of a theme.

What if you had a 1968 GTO SS [ car ] and you theme most of the car BUT you have crapy rims, your GTO would look l"shiity". That's the same as ShapeShifter.

That's what I mean.

Christian

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2003, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by christianclark:
You don't understand. You need and feel the whole eperience of a theme.

What if you had a 1968 GTO SS [ car ] and you theme most of the car BUT you have crapy rims, your GTO would look l"shiity". That's the same as ShapeShifter.

That's what I mean.

Christian
Dude get over it. It's not posable without stability or security issues. You should be able to change the boot screen with some apps like this: http://www.versiontracker.com/php/se...+scree&x=0&y=0 and if they don't work with Panther yet, they should soon.
click one

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Dude get over it. It's not posable without stability or security issues. You should be able to change the boot screen with some apps like this: http://www.versiontracker.com/php/se...+scree&x=0&y=0 and if they don't work with Panther yet, they should soon.
Yeah, stop it! Can't you see that your annoying requests are upsetting our shining shape shifter fan !?!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 07:05 PM

And I'm annoying you I see.
click one

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 07:31 PM

Jeez, why would you jump down someones throat for saying they dont want the boot panels. The point of including those in a seperate release would be that some people would want to use them and some wouldn't. Its a matter of opinion, so if someone says nah, not for me, you dont go "NOOOOOOO!! YOU NEED TO HAVE THAT!!".

And however much you want the whole theme in the "old" format, its not happening. So some theme developers will over those extras like boot panals, login panals, etc. in the "old" format, but don't confuse that with "BBX is going to release the whole Omega theme in dlta format".

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by cloudaj:
Jeez, why would you jump down someones throat for saying they dont want the boot panels.

And however much you want the whole theme in the "old" format, its not happening. So some theme developers will over those extras like boot panals, login panals, etc. in the "old" format, but don't confuse that with "BBX is going to release the whole Omega theme in dlta format".
Sorry I get too defensive about stuff I like. I have the same problem with being proMac. I'm just hyped over there finaly being progress in themeing OS X, and am making an ass out of myself at the same time.

Like you said SS themes are just not going to be the same as the old themes cuz they don't replace system resources. It's a triad-off for progress like every has been saying since SS was first out.
click one

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 07:47 PM

i was actually refering to christianclark's comment towards you that you NEED those extras

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by cloudaj:
i was actually refering to christianclark's comment towards you that you NEED those extras
lol Maybe we both need to get real?
click one

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2003, 08:05 AM

I have another problem, I use ShapeShifter with the Shinobi theme and it doesn�t theme CarraFix at all, anyone know why?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by MetalSnake:
I have another problem, I use ShapeShifter with the Shinobi theme and it doesn�t theme CarraFix at all, anyone know why?
"CarraFix"?
click one

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 03:19 PM

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 04:17 PM

Looks like a cool app.
click one

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 05:35 PM

Ya I downloaded it and it seems that no APEs work with it...
click one

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 06:58 PM

I haven't looked at Carrafix for awhile but I seem to recall that it authenticates you and then launches its user interface sudo'ed root. This is why no APEs will work with it.

Could be wrong, though, as I said, I haven't looked at that particular app for awhile.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
I haven't looked at Carrafix for awhile but I seem to recall that it authenticates you and then launches its user interface sudo'ed root. This is why no APEs will work with it.

Could be wrong, though, as I said, I haven't looked at that particular app for awhile.
It never asked for authentication...
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules