Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Panasonic GS50 digital video camera works???

Panasonic GS50 digital video camera works???
hunkhuang
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 09:34 AM

Dear all...
I just bought a Panasonic GS50 video camera, i tried to shoot something and then I tried to connect the camera to my iMac.
But it doesn't give me any response, i'm really worrying now. Do you guys know how to make my Mac response to USB port from my camera?

sigh.... please help me!

17" widescreen LCD, 1GHz PowerPC G4,
1GB DDR266 SDRAM, 80GB Ultra ATA HD,
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX, 64MB DDR video memory

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2003, 11:04 AM

Did you try a reboot?

I do note that the Panasonic model you have is not listed in iMovie compatibility page.

OTOH, my Canon Optura 200MC isn't listed either, but both iMovie and iChatAV work with it. There does seem to be a bit of a delay with iChat though, before it starts working.

Seqiro
Nov 28, 2003, 11:08 AM

Are you trying to capture motion video or a digital still?

hunkhuang  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 11:11 AM

i am trying to capture a motion video. I wish to make a DVD of my brother's wedding next week.
What should i do now?

Seqiro
Nov 28, 2003, 11:12 AM

You need to use a firewire cable and port.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2003, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by Seqiro:
You need to use a firewire cable and port.
Doh! I didn't notice he was using USB.

Yes, he needs to buy a Firewire cable. Good catch.

hunkhuang  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 11:17 AM

actually i dont know whether is it working.

I have a firewire plugged to my Camcorder, then I have an USB plugged into my iMac.
So does it work ??

Or do you mean, firewire to firewire??

Seqiro
Nov 28, 2003, 11:20 AM

Yes you need a firewire cable on both ends. I'm guessing that you need a 4-pin to 6-pin firewire cable. If your camera is anything like my Sony, I'm guessing that the cable you are using is a USB cable with a 5-pin mini-B end. That's for getting digital stills off of the camera.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2003, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by hunkhuang:
actually i dont know whether is it working.

I have a firewire plugged to my Camcorder, then I have an USB plugged into my iMac.
So does it work ??

Or do you mean, firewire to firewire??
Huh?

Firewire from Camcorder (4-pin) to iMac (6-pin).

hunkhuang  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 11:29 AM

hmm... nope, my firewire to USB does not transfer the still images as well from the SD card to my iMac.
However, I can transfer the images by putting the card into my USB reader device.

I don't know how to look at the number of the pin. Can you please specify whether what kind of wire i should look for???
If i got a both firewire ends, does it working?

Seqiro
Nov 28, 2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by hunkhuang:
hmm... nope, my firewire to USB does not transfer the still images as well from the SD card to my iMac.
However, I can transfer the images by putting the card into my USB reader device.

I don't know how to look at the number of the pin. Can you please specify whether what kind of wire i should look for???
If i got a both firewire ends, does it working?
You need this.

And trust me, you do not have a firewire-to-USB cable. For so many reasons that wouldn't work.

You probably need to install the software that came with your camera if you want to download the stills if it is not supported natively by OS X. By any chance have you read your manual?

Edit: Looking at the online version of the manual for your device, it doesn't come with drivers for USB for anything but Windows OSes.

But the FireWire connection for DV should work just fine once you get the right cable.
( Last edited by Seqiro; Nov 28, 2003 at 11:44 AM. )

hunkhuang  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 11:37 AM

yes, i have read my the manual. Thanks for those advises and help. I was panicing like hell...
The software installation is only for M$. I thought i can just plug and play with the Mac.
But i was just plug and panic. hehe

I will try and look for the cable later.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2003, 02:18 PM

I purchased the same model...in yellow..I just thought it was the coolest design in yellow ...

anyhow..got it home and could not make it work with a Mac. Maybe the newer G5 towers and new powerbooks that are USB2 would support that? But my G4 1.42 tower is only regular old usb so it would not work.

I know there is a little thing for a firewire cable but the camera didn't come with one..and when I asked B&H photo here in NYC how much it was they said 100 bucks just for the darn cable so... I took the whole thing back and returned it.

IF you do find a Firewire cable that works though I would imagine it might work though, but it just seemed to me the Panasonic camera was more meant for Windows so I gave up and got my money back.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2003, 02:38 PM

I know there is a little thing for a firewire cable but the camera didn't come with one..and when I asked B&H photo here in NYC how much it was they said 100 bucks just for the darn cable so... I took the whole thing back and returned it.
A Firewire cable costs about US$15, and no, most DV camcorders do not come with one. AFAIK, Panasonic uses the exact same Firewire cables that everyone else does, so you could have just gone to your local computer store to get it.

Indeed, I bought mine online when I bought something else, and the cable cost me something like $5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules