Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Freedom Force Multiplayer woes...

Freedom Force Multiplayer woes...
Kickaha
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 02:43 AM

Just picked up Freedom Force for myself, and am trying to get multiplayer working over the LAN so a buddy can kick my butt at it. However, it's simply not working.

I set up a multiplayer campaign, have Firewall completely off, we're both on the same WiFi hub with static IPs, and she's unable to see my machine on Browse LAN when attempting to join. Nor can she find the Session when entering in the correct IP directly.

Any ideas?

a2daj
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 02:59 AM

Are both of you using Macs? I don't believe Mac vs. PC multiplayer is possible.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 30, 2003, 11:42 AM

Never got it to connect to a PC either. :'( If I had known, I probably wouldn't have bought the game. But thankfully the single-player is awesome so I don't regret it.

Kickaha  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 03:21 PM

We're both on Macs.

Here's the error showing up in the FF.err file of the machine attempting to join the game. No errors appear in the server machine's version of this file.

2003-11-30 02:02:30.345 FreedomForce[3266] Exception raised while enumerating hosts: Error waiting for input: Bad file descriptor

I'm on 10.3.1, she's on 10.2.8. We're both static IP through a DLink WiFi base station with zero internal LAN firewalling.
( Last edited by Kickaha; Nov 30, 2003 at 09:14 PM. )

-Q-
Dec 1, 2003, 10:55 AM

I was never able to get this to work correctly. My friend and I had to end up setting up GameRanger accounts and playing thru the internet even tho we were sitting across from each other. Go figure - internet play works fine but LAN play is shite.

Kickaha  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2003, 04:05 PM

Crap.

Hmmm.

Lot's o' Omnifolk on these boards... oh guuyyyysssss.... wassup with FF?

I *did* notice that when the other laptop attempted to connect to a game *I* was serving, the errors included lines along the lines of "Freedom Force: Looking up local host name: Unable to find <hostname>.<domain>.org" which indicated to me a DNS problem that may be a root cause... but that hostname is indeed in the DNS records... *sigh*

Scott Kevill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:
I was never able to get this to work correctly. My friend and I had to end up setting up GameRanger accounts and playing thru the internet even tho we were sitting across from each other. Go figure - internet play works fine but LAN play is shite.
I'm not sure why the internal LAN finding is not working, but GameRanger is smart enough to connect you directly if you're both on the same LAN. So even if you use GameRanger to set up those games, you'll still be playing over the LAN, and not over the internet, and thus performance will not be affected.

Scott.
GameRanger - the Macintosh multiplayer online gaming service

Kickaha  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 02:51 AM

And if we're both behind the same NAT/public IP? :/

Scott Kevill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by Kickaha:
And if we're both behind the same NAT/public IP? :/
Yes, that was my point.

Scott.
GameRanger - the Macintosh multiplayer online gaming service

-Q-
Dec 3, 2003, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Scott Kevill:
So even if you use GameRanger to set up those games, you'll still be playing over the LAN, and not over the internet, and thus performance will not be affected.
That was certainly the case with my experience. The game played great.

Kickaha  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 08:28 PM

Okay, great. Your original post didn't distinguish between being on a LAN with unique public IPs or being behind a NAT. Just wanted to check.

Thanks all.

Still seems silly, but I'll run with it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules