Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Order online from applestore or local reseller?

Order online from applestore or local reseller?
ghyuji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 03:20 PM

Hi all,

I'm buying a 12" PB combo tomorrow and need some advice about whether to buy online from the applestore or from a local dealer. One consideration is that the combo currently ships with panther from the Applestore only.

Thanks guys,
jeff

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 04:38 PM

check :

http://www.macprices.com/

go with a reseller that does not charge sales tax in your state. You will save big that way.

And you can always get panther upgraded for 20 bucks if you buy new now and it doesn't have Panther.

I personally just ordered a 17" powerbook on Amazon.com..they had the lowest price on a 1.3 ghz powerbook anywhere. Plus..real free shipping, plus no sales tax.

Some of the resellers are such jerks to deal with...beware. I like Amazon..but some of the resellers will put in extra RAM which seems to be a good deal...or throw in a free printer even.

Altair
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 04:54 PM

Be wary of the free ram upgrade. Some of them *cough*macconnection*cough* charge a $40 install fee but give you the ram for free.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

Tek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 08:55 PM

i think there is something to be said for paying the tax and buying it at the physical B&M store.

For starters, if you buy from the apple store and you find a dead pixel or something else cosmetically wrong you can drive to the store and exchange/return it (am i wrong or is it really this easy?). If you buy from apple.com and its a custom config they will want to do service on it so even if its not your lookin at at least 3-14 days w/o your laptop.

Basically because of the reason i'm going to forgo the 60GB upgrade and just buy my powerbook (errr, or iBook - i still can't decide)in an apple retail store. I think its worth it to make sure i don't have a lemon and then not having to jump through hoops if i do.

May God Be With You.
-Matt

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 02:43 AM

Oh...

I forgot..there is one area I do buy from Apple on..the sale page of refurbished items:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....3.1.1.0?90,47

PowerBook G4 867MHz/256MB/40GB/Combo/E/12"TFT - Refurbished

$1,199.00

PowerBook G4 867MHz/256MB/40GB/SuperDrive/E/12"TFT - Refurbished

$1,399.00

Not bad! and they will have the complete Apple warranty. If I was going to be buying a laptop and didn't need a DVD burner or USB2 I'd be very temped by the 12" powerbook w/combo for 1,199

A year ago I purchased a 5 gig ipod (1st generation model) for 199 bucks.

A month ago, right before the warrenty went out..it died..

I sent it back.. and they sent me another refurbished seemingly brand new first generation 5 gig ipod.

So I got a new battery out of the deal along with a refreshed ipod for the hassle of having to return it..but that only took 4 days!

Forum Links
Forum Rules