Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spawn of the Devil!!!

Spawn of the Devil!!!
JimboHC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 07:02 PM

Hi all �_UK Mac user here.

The BBC have just aired a show here... The World's Most Powerful... Computer Mogul � a fight between Gates and Jobs as to whom is the most powerful in PCland.

And guess what? The presenter chose Gates. No mention of MS stealing the original Mac OS... no mention of iTMS and its success... no mention of the iPod... and so on and so on. OK so I'm biased but hey, who cares!

Go to the website and show your displeasure! And vote for Steve in their viewer's vote!

Vote for Steve!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2003, 07:40 PM

Well, if you are talking about "Most Powerful" then I would have to agree that Gates is the winner. As said on the site, Microsoft is EVERYWHERE. In many more things than just our desktop computers. Banks, ATMs, cash registers, military, kiosks, etc etc.

If you were talking about "Most Influential" then I would pick Jobs. Since Apple is the R&D for the rest of the technical world, they have the most influence (IMO).

But I went ahead and voted for Jobs anyway.

(And Jobs is winning 76% to 24%! )

JimboHC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 07:50 PM

Maroma,

I agree with you � Gates is the most powerful but I posted a comment to the site about most powerful not being the same as most creative/innovative... and how MS follows where Apple leads.

Given the BBC's predeliction for MS and all things Gates though, I suspect we are all urinating into the wind!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by JimboHC:
Maroma,

I agree with you � Gates is the most powerful but I posted a comment to the site about most powerful not being the same as most creative/innovative... and how MS follows where Apple leads.

Given the BBC's predeliction for MS and all things Gates though, I suspect we are all urinating into the wind!
Agreed. I believe creativity is far more powerful than any monetary power one could accumulate.

And it seems the BBC isn't too different from the American media in that regard.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by JimboHC:
No mention of MS stealing the original Mac OS
Any mention of Apple stealing the original Xerox OS?

JimboHC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2003, 03:42 AM

No mention of the PARC robbery but I like to think that was a creative burglary anyway!

JohnnySkeeky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2003, 04:30 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Any mention of Apple stealing the original Xerox OS?
Apple didn't steal the Xerox OS; Jobs & company were welcomed by the Xerox folks who cheerfully showed them their work and openly discussed it. Jobs also hired some of the PARC developers to take their ideas much further. Quite a different thing from Gates simply duplicating the full blown Apple product, a fact tacitly acknowledged by MS when they bought Apple off when they sued for patent infringement.
Never anthropomorphize computers;
they hate that.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2003, 05:12 AM

My response to it that I submitted:

I agree Bill Gates is more powerful, even being an Apple fan. The Microsoft market share proves this. They have not only taken most of the Desktop OS space, but also are sitting in a confortable second in the video game market, have a huge part of the PDA market, and so many other areas. Apple, they have some very innovative ideas, but only lead in one market. The music market, with both iTunes music store and the iPod.

It's a sad truth that Microsoft and Bill Gates are powerful, but it doesn't diminish the usefulness of my Unix based OS X running Powerbook.
<This space under renovation>

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 01:52 PM

After typing several fairly anti-Microsoft remarks I leave you with this instead: Down with Microsoft.

Having said that I will not be voting for Steve Jobs. It's true that Microsoft is everywhere but I'm not willing to give him/them that, and I'm not so blind to say that Jobs is the big man of the world.

Long live Apple.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by JohnnySkeeky:
Apple didn't steal the Xerox OS
Then why did Xerox sue Apple?

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2003, 06:01 PM

Which is the more influential?