Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dilemma....

View Poll Results: Which one should I get?
Poll Options:
15" PB AL (1.25GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, SD) 22 votes (50.00%)
17" PB AL (1.33GHz, 512mb RAM, 80GB HDD, SD) with free iSight 22 votes (50.00%)
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll
Dilemma....
The Jinx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2003, 11:46 PM

I've ordered PB G4 AL15" 1.25GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, Superdrive. It should arrive end of next week after 6 week of waiting This setup cost me RM$11,599 (USD$3,052.37). They charged me RM$1,200 (USD$315.79) for RAM upgrade!

Then recently there were PC Fair at my town and Apple is giving away iSight for any 17" AL PB (1.33GHz, 512mb RAM, 80GB HDD, Superdrive)! iSight cost RM$699.00 (USD$183.95) and 17" PB AL cost RM$12,099 (USD$3,183.95) BUT they are not giving the iSight to 15" buyer!

They agree to offset the iSight cost IF I were to purchased the 17" AL.

FYI, PB 15" AL came with 2X256mb RAM, and 17" came with 1X512mb RAM.

My question is should I go for 15" or 17" as cost is almost the same after I tradeback the FOC iSight? and why should I go for that?

Thanking you in advance for your suggestion.

Regards
sbw
- Decided & Bought -
15" PB G4 1.25 GHz, 512 DDR RAM, 80GB HD, SD, AP, BT and VERY HAPPY WITH IT!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2003, 09:20 AM

It depends on your needs,
Are you a road warrier because lugging the 17" around may get old pretty quick. Also what would be the expected delivery of the 17", would it be longer or shorter. Since you should be getting the 15" next week why take a chance.

Finally. The 17" is on its second revision so Apple has already shook the bugs out, the 15" is the first revision but it looks like apple has corrected the most infamous issues (latch and screen).

I really didn't answer your question as much as highlight some of the issues you need to resolve.

I have a 15"al and absolutly love it, I'm not a road warrier but I thought the 17" was overkill for my needs. Its not a true desktop replacement as I do take it with me from time to time.

Good Luck
Mike

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 09:48 AM

Agrees with Maflynn.. the 17" is not a laptop you want to lug around all day.

However if it is basically goign to be on your desk all day, then go for the 17" and enjoy the larger screen and the iSight.

As to ram.. you can get a 512 chip for 125 bucks...which would bring the 17" up to 1 gig of ram. (maxing out the 17" is very expensive now..but will undoubtedly get cheaper over time).

I just ordered a 17" powerbook (which came with the free isight)..expecting it on Wednesday of this week. I ordered the ram separate to save money.

Its costing me 2850 U.S.D. total on Amazon.com.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2003, 10:27 AM

the 17" ... the ram can be uprgraded at a later stage, processor and screen size cannot.
we don't have time to stop for gas

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 10:49 AM

I say go for the 17. I travel all the time, I'm away from home more than I am home. You begin to realize that this computer is really not all that big. It's shorter than the Ti 15' Powerbook, and it's lighter than you would think for it's size. It also fits across your lap just perfect. It's not too big, it's perfect!

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2003, 12:04 PM

I agree with everyone. So why am I writing?

My wife is getting a 15" to replace the 12" iBook she has taken with her everywhere like a purse.

I have a 17" because I work from home and only need to take it with me when we travel. For this situation, I couldn't be happier.

CC

The Jinx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 09:11 PM

Thank you every one for the feedback.

I've called Apple and confirmed that both 17" and 15" will be arriving at the same time.

They'll give me a privillage of "feel" both PB before deciding which is suitable for me.

I guess most probably will go for 17" but 15" is so cute and powerful....

I'll just wait till both of PB to arrive and decide from there...

Regards
sbw
- Decided & Bought -
15" PB G4 1.25 GHz, 512 DDR RAM, 80GB HD, SD, AP, BT and VERY HAPPY WITH IT!

Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2003, 12:08 AM

I also have the 17 rev a pb and couldnt be happier! I take this thing everywhere and it has gotten to the point where I dont think its that big and I think the 15 is actually too small! So, theres something else to think about. After a while you get used to it and the extra screen is SUPER nice.

Justin
AlPB 15" Rev. C (1.5GHz) | 30GB 5G Apple iPod Video | SE S710a

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

Corinthian
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2003, 12:31 AM

If the price is almost the same, then why don't go for a better machine...

17" is just sleek, maybe a bit too big, yet not much bigger and heavier than 15" at all....

so why bother? Pick youur 17"....
TiBook rulezz~~

TiBook 800/512/40/Combo Drive
TiBook Giga/512/60/SuperDrive

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 01:26 AM

Haha! Just took the poll and it's dead even at 20-20. Looks like this poll shalln't be helping you very much.

Anyways, my vote went to the 17". I'm partial though as I have one and absolutely love it. The size complaint is, in my opinion, the most valid one. I've gotten used to taking this thing around though, so the weight and odd dimensions no longer bother me. Might not be the case for everyone though.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

pugdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 01:33 AM

i have heard too many quality issues about the 15in. i was going to get one to use as a portable recording studio and video editing studio, but i don't want to risk getting a bad apple. (sorry about the pun)

a friend of mine has a 17in. as I am around it and use it, it doesn't seem as cumbersome as everyone says.

my two cents

Forum Links
Forum Rules