Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Need Help with Linksys ROuter and Remote Access

Need Help with Linksys ROuter and Remote Access
Hoops Coach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2003, 01:55 PM

This is my first post, so please forgive if I ask the proverbial " dumb" question.
A friend of mine recently installed a cable modem. I have the same ISP. We both are running 10.2.8. I have the router and he is directly connected to his computer.

My question is this. I was able to login to his computer using remote access in the file sharing preferences. I could see the drop box and such and we successfully transferred files. However, he was not able to log in to my computer. I am assuming it is because of my router and the firewall buiult into it. I want to set it up so that he can login to my system and also use FTP access to transfer files. We are both in education and it would be easier to swap multimedia projects via the network than burning CD's and swapping at work since we live about 30 minutes apart.

I guess the question is simply, how do I open up ports for him to access my system. Remote access provides an address by it is something like "ssh********** at a shell command."

Any suggestions on FTP? Same situation....?

Any help would be appreciated....I have not done very much with Mac Networking outside of a simple ethernet router/switch.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 02:25 PM

1. set your router to give you a reserved internal ip address
2. forward the correct ports to your internal ip

here are the ports
http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 9, 2003, 04:26 PM

Phanguye's response is right, but maybe not complete. If you're using anything other than a guaranteed "fixed IP" connection, your Internet connection IP can (and will from time to time) change. There are two ways around this. You can find an IP ailiasing service-some are free, but I find them a pain-or you can just coordinate a little bit with your friend before he tries to log into your computer.

All you need to do is go to What's My IP dot COM to get your current Internet IP address, and then call/IM your friend with that address. Your friend can then, assuming you've done what Phanguye said, simply use your current IP to log in to your computer.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Hoops Coach  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2003, 01:00 AM

Thanks fo the help....I am sorry it took so long to respond...but as the name says...been busy coaching hoops. I will work on this project later this week when we both have time to tinker!

Thanks again!

Hoops Coach  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2003, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
1. set your router to give you a reserved internal ip address
2. forward the correct ports to your internal ip

here are the ports
http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
Sorry for being so dense...but exactly how do I "set my router to give the reserved IP adress? "

si_lance
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2003, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
You can find an IP ailiasing service-some are free, but I find them a pain
no-ip.com is pain free...

John Strung
Senior User
Dec 11, 2003, 09:46 AM

What brand and models of router are you using?

Hoops Coach  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2003, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by John Strung:
What brand and models of router are you using?
Linksys BEFSR41 4 port etherfast Cabel/DSL router on a G4 450mhz Mac running Jaguar 10.2.8 (soon to be pantherized! )

Friend currently has no router, direct connect to Internet....Not a problem connecting to him, it is just setting things up for him to connect to me!

Thanks in advance for any help that might be forthcoming!

John Strung
Senior User
Dec 12, 2003, 09:40 AM

Set your G4 to a manual IP address as follows:

Set your TCP/IP prefs or control panel to MANUAL (Not DHCP with MANUAL).
Set the IP address to 192.168.1.2
Router or Gateway = 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

Then use your browser to go to the LinkSys Admin program at http://192.168.1.1

Click on the Status tab. Scroll down to the WAN settings and make a note of the IP addresses of the primary and secondary Domain Name Servers (DNS).

Reopen the TCP/IP prefs panel or control panel and put the IP addresses of the two DNS servers on separate lines into the Domain Name Server box (if you are using OS X) or the D box (if you are using OS 9). Hit apply and you should be in be properly connected with a fixed IP.

Now go back into the LinkSys Admin program to the Port Forwarding Tab (it might be under the Advanced Tab) and forward TCP port 548 to 192.168.1.2 and hit apply.

Your buddy should now be able to connect to your computer using the LinkSys WAN IP address (which the router will forward to your local computer).

You can find your WAN IP address from http://www.whatismyip.com

Don't forget that doing this poses a security risk as anyone in the world with a Mac can then access your computer and your only security is your password.

Then

Hoops Coach  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2003, 10:28 AM

Don't forget that doing this poses a security risk as anyone in the world with a Mac can then access your computer and your only security is your password.

Then [/B]
Thank you for the details on setting this up. I am very appreciative. I hope to be able to one day repay the favor!

By the way, worked like a charm!

Now, when my friend gets a router, we can set up his to do the same!

Happy Holidays to all!

Forum Links
Forum Rules